Help me choose a racket!!

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by sexytom, May 28, 2005.

1. sexytom

sexytom Regular Member

Hi all!

I have a brithday coming up and i've got about £70GBP to spend on a racket for myself :)

Im a big Yonex fan and have been lookin at the rackets at www.centralsports.co.uk . I've managed to narrow it down to 3 unless anyone has any other suggestions from anywhere else:

• CAB 20MS
    • MP66
    • Armortec 500
    Im an offensive player and like smashing. Play mostly doubles but singles from time to time. Any advice on which I should get? I also need to know which string to get with it and at what tension?

thanks in advance for your advice :cool:

2. K3vin

K3vin Regular Member

How much usd is 70 pounds?

3. Jansenkzh

Jansenkzh Regular Member

Armortec 500. Its best of all. Best fo offence people and hard smasher.

4. |R|S

|R|S Regular Member

Student
    agreed! at500! but i felt there is a missing X factor in that racket...

5. Jansenkzh

Jansenkzh Regular Member

It depends on perferences and how you handle it. And your arm power.

6. J_M_V

J_M_V Regular Member

Sales
    I'd probably take AT500 or MP77 (if you still can find MP77 from somewhere). To me MP77 feels like a very solid racquet, and I'm quite an offensive player. If I were you I'd try to get the AT800OFF... I personally like BG80 strings with 22 lbs (for MP77). BTW 1 GBP = about 1.8 USD, so 70 £ is about 125 USD.

7. sexytom

sexytom Regular Member

I am swingin towards the AT500 at the moment thanks guys. I get a dozen free aerosenas with it too :) . It comes with a factory strung bg65ti. Do you think its worth paying an extra £10 for custom string/tension?? Bear in mind im still only an intermediate player.

thanks.

8. Jansenkzh

Jansenkzh Regular Member

Why not? have a try.

9. jcl49

jcl49 Regular Member

The at500 is a solid overall performer. Regarding the £10 restring; it is not really neccesary. You don't get that much better performance, out of increasing the tension by a few pounds. Instead, save up the money and wait for Christmas, until you can get some new badminton/squash shoes.

#9 jcl49, May 28, 2005
    Last edited: May 28, 2005
  10. sexytom

sexytom Regular Member

great. Thanks for your advice guys :D

11. SWC_Ant

SWC_Ant Regular Member

Student
    i'm questioning whether you should leave the string as it is

from what many people have said about the BG65Ti string, generally people find that over time, as it loses its tension, it loses its feel bigtime. depending on how long that racket has been sitting on the shelf strung, i might recommend you consider the restring, if you see the need. personally i would, but thats only my opinion

12. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I will say it depends. If increases from 24 to 28, it might not be necessary, as it might already out of the player's ability. However, increase from 16 to 22 might be a smart investment, as 16 is too low for int. lvl player. ;)

Therefore, it depends. If the string is useable (i.e. within the player's ideal range), keep it. If tension is way too low or too high, or the string does not fit for his/her style, time to invest a bit more. ;)

13. sexytom

sexytom Regular Member

Im buying it off the internet so I guess i'll just have to hope that it comes well strung! :) If not I guess i'll have to fork out a bit more to get it restrung :mad:

14. simonob007

simonob007 Regular Member

Hi

I have had a few rackets from Central Sports (via the internet). There service, speed of delivery and quality is excellent so you should have no problems with them.

I have had an armortec 500 (sold it now) and I was not to keen on it as it has no character. I am also a big smasher but I prefer head-light rackets, I have the MP44, MP66 & NS7000 and I love them all. I will not advise on which racket to get, all I will say is try the different rackets (if possible) before you make a final decision and if you cannot try the rackets then at least try some head light and head heavy rackets to see which you prefer.