Incorrect grip?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Dave18, May 29, 2005.

1. Dave18

Dave18 Regular Member

Student
    My friend has been using the backhand grip for ALL shots for the past 6 or so years. No one has corrected her because they don't notice it until now.

Now I know that I've seen some really good players use the backhand grip for all of their shots because when they realize that they use the wrong grip, it's too hard for them to correct themselves. I guess they feel comfortable with the backhand grip and grown into it.

What disadvantages are there for using the backhand grip for forehand shots?

Switching grips for her now would be like starting badminton all over. What do you suggest? Correct herself or leave it be?

2. jcl49

jcl49 Regular Member

The backhand grip (thumb touching the fat part of the bevel) does not allow full pronation of the forearm. Pronation is when you rotate your forearm (like when using those Chinese fans to cool youself in the summer). The intuition of pronation (as opposed to wrist power) is as follows.

Pronation is what is commonly described as "snapping your wrist". However, your wrist does not nearly contain as many muscle strands as your forearm, so it is not actually using your wrist doing all the work. Using a backhand grip for everything prohibits pronation. Thus reduces the amount of "wrist" you can apply to the shot. This often results in the shuttle having a very flat trajectory i.e. flat smashing.
    [​IMG]

#2 jcl49, May 29, 2005
    Last edited: May 29, 2005
  3. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Heh! She must be really good with her drives then:p. One's never too old to start over. She should get the proper technique ASAP cuz the longer she waits the harder she'll be able to change her habit later. Besides, it's not really starting over... some adaptation on her part is needed. Hit some overhead clears with her using the proper forehand grip.

4. Dave18

Dave18 Regular Member

Student
    Yes, very fast drives. Lol.

5. renkijutsushi

renkijutsushi Regular Member

student
    Wrong grip is a very no no thing. I am using the wrong grip now too, trying very hard to change it. Because I am using the wrong grip for forehand, when I am needed to change it to backhand grip, a big change in grip is needed (compared to changing from correct forehand grip to the backhand grip). Sometimes I do not have enough time to change it to backhand grip and twist my arm to get the birdie.

6. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Ah... the perfect doubles player:p. If her flat game is awesome, then her partners will benefit with abundance of smashing opportunities. She would be very close to being a complete doubles player if she got the overhead strokes and grips downpat as well.

7. jet28

jet28 Regular Member

hi, i'm new with the sport. How is the basic way of gripping as a beginner? I'm afraid i might be using a wrong way. I'm learning through a video. it says hold the racquet like you are shaking hands. all fingers down and it should be lose enough to make two of your other two fingers to fit between the racquet and your gripping hand. i'm having problem with that loose enough thing...

8. keith_aquino

keith_aquino Regular Member

part-time student, full-time baddy fanatic
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/badminton-central/content/view/81/35/

The Badminton Grip Guide. ;)

9. keith_aquino

Hey, why not tell her to use the universal grip to adjust? I think that would help her "start over".

10. pompey

pompey Regular Member

I had gradually been using more of a backhand grip for my forehand shots and only noticed recently. I had been playing well with a decent enough smash. However, a small change over a couple of sessions to correct this did result in a noticeable increase in power - and it proved to be an easy change to make.
    But its definitely possible to play well with a forehand grip which verges on being a backhand.

11. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Indeed it is! Badminton England are now teaching a "new" version of the forehand grip that does exactly that.

My limited experience of this grip suggests that it is effective for forehand drives. It does not seem to be effective for overheads. Your mileage may vary ;)

More on this when I create the grips guide V2. Intended release date August - September.

12. keith_aquino

You caught one person's interest. I shouldn't have read this post so I wouldn't kill myself over excitement. Goodluck on the next guide :)

13. Akatsuki

Akatsuki Regular Member

That is not true. A few month ago, I realized that I had the backhand grips, I couldnt break mi wrist because of that (played like that for 4 years). I changed my grip and got used to it in about 5 practices. It was really hard, my hand hurt the fisrt few times. But I gain a lot of power now, thanks to it. It is still hard to switch form backhand to forehand when receiving, but I believe that I can practice that.

14. LeoTheBearMan

LeoTheBearMan Regular Member

Student
    i used to play with incorrect grip until about a month ago. my coach threatened to tape my hand, with proper grip, to my racket using medical tape if my grip did not improve. the next practice he saw an improvement. why? cause i taped my own hand, with proper grip, to my racket in my spare time. :p i basically kept it taped for about an hour or until my hand went numb (not too tight mind you. :p ) for a couple of days every night. after that, ta da! correct grip. :D

i also hit with the tape on to make sure that my habit would carry over into my gameplay. i hit high clears and drops.

#14 LeoTheBearMan, Jul 4, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2005