How to handle deadbeats who don't pay to play...

Discussion in 'Canada West' started by badrad, May 29, 2005.

1. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    A friend of mine who supervises one of the local gyms for badminton has asked me how to handle this problem he has with deadbeat players who sneak into the gym and play without paying.

My base answer would be to just kick this guy's butt off the court!

But, my friend is a pretty friendly guy, and doesn't like confrontation, but he has been having a problem with some fellow who often comes into the gym and jumps on a court and starts playing. It's not like it is a large gym, and so it's sometimes a bit annoying in that he thinks this fellow considers himself to be invisible or something.

Anyways, any thoughts on how to approach and solve this problem - from other club supervisors/organizers, please feel free to reply with workable suggestions.

#1 badrad, May 29, 2005
    Last edited: May 29, 2005
  2. Nephrus

Nephrus Regular Member

Sup Badrad.

I deal with this kinda problem at my centre a lot although i'm not the coordinator my classmate supervises the session so i keep a look out for him. here are some of my suggestion that i found to be effective.

1. Go and get the person's name and ask him to pay (If this is the person's First Time)

2. If its like the situation you suggested where this person comes in repeatedly without paying then let the other paying patrons know so that they will all pressure that person to pay or refuse to play with him

3. Ofcourse if you are a tough guy you could just kick him off the court or out of the facility as you suggested.

4. My classmate and I eventually just his digi camera and took a picture of that person and then enlarged it and posted it in a NOT WELCOME board. (help in putting that guy to SHAME and it poses as a warning to others)

Hope those suggestions are helpful

Neph

P.S. Actually come to think of it... why don't you just make the guy leave by playing a game with him and then utterly destroying him with your awesome smashes LOL:D :D :D

#2 Nephrus, May 29, 2005
    Last edited: May 29, 2005
  3. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    What?! And give him a free game:eek:?! Some people just don't have a sense of shame. Shouldn't waste time on them. I say kick the fella out.

4. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Well, I don't know how your gyms there operate, whether a player has to report to the receptionist to pay first before he is allowed to play.

Over here in Singapore, it depends on where you play, in private clubs, the member has to sign for the guest fee (I suppose like in VRC) but in public courts such as our sports halls or community centre courts where one pays only for the rental of the court, a 'stranger' may just request to join in the game and it depends on whether the group admits him for a $ contribution.

I suppose you meant the former case as in a private club. We do experience some deadbeats occasionally. So-called guests just use the facility without paying first (they can give excuses such as they've forgotten, etc) although they or their host members should know the rules. In such a case, the 'guest' will be approached by a staff/supervisor and requested for relevant information such as whether he is a member and if not, who is his host and reminded that he has to follow the club's house rules. The host member will be located (woe betide him if he is not in the club, for this is another breach) and warned not to repeat the indiscretion and the member will be billed DOUBLED the normal guest fee. Another similar offence will mean a suspension of membership for a specified period.

I think in your case, it is slightly different as the player is not a guest. But if he knows the rules and has been quite a frequent visitor to the gym, he should be warned first and must be asked to pay back the arrears (for those times he defaulted and as there are witnesses, he could not deny). The rules and penalties may already have been posted prominently in the gym and these should be applied accordingly. If not, they the gym should have them displayed without further delay.

It is good business practice to give the defaulter a chance, give him some face, so that he may not feel too embarassed and the gym may not lose a customer.

5. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    This person has been a frequent violator, and I have heard he has been reprimanded at other centers as well, not just at my friend's.

6. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    In that case, he should be taught a lesson. Your friend should pull him aside, maybe to his office in order not to create a scene and be told squarely on his face to pay up, otherwise he will be banned from the gym. :mad:

7. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    First thing is to approach him and gently remind him that he has to pay first before he can play. I would stay and make sure he pay first otherwise just tell him that he won't be able to play. No confrontation needed :D

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    One way....

The supervisor also needs a thick skinned assistant. There has to be an agreement beforehand. e.g. cannot go more than 3 times without paying (this helps give a little flexibility to the regular members)

Kepp a tab on how many times the guy has missed payment. If it's more than 2, then refuse to let him play the third time.
    The supervisor also needs a thick skinned assistant (repeating this twice!) who can repeat the rules. I think somebody who is in a position of authority at work would be an appropriate assistant.

9. Super~ME!

Super~ME! Regular Member

student
    ...hmm...perhaps you could do what they guys do where i play...whenever people pay at the desk....get a distinct stamp for each session and stamp people's hands. after that...your friend can go in like...every 20mins or something and ask people to show him their hands...kinda like on the skytrain...this might be useful if he's coming in from a back door...or just have someone at the door to check that people have a stamp before they go into the gym. if the guy gets caught...then tell the guys he's with that he didn't pay and make him go out and pay before coming back...it usually works where i play:rolleyes: ...oh yeah...make sure the stamps not symetrical...otherwise he can 'transfer' it from friends like some people i know...:p

10. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    there are so many ways. that's great! I think my friend has taken a lookat the replies and he will think about how to apply some of these ideas at his centre.

hmmm.... maybe he is trying to tell me that deadbeat is ME? oops... luckily mrs. badrad always pays for me.:D

11. Noob848

Noob848 Regular Member

u noe there are a couple of ways to get the deadbeat out:

1) pull him aside and tell him square in the face "pay up sucka"

2)Own him with ur deadly smashes or so i've heard

3) just push him outside telling him he didnt pay so hes not allowed to play

4) if ur a tough guy, drag him out and flex ur muscles and grap his shirt collar

5)Just put him on the banned list and kick him out