Do you find you play better with an inferior partner against a superior team?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by pengu1ns, Jun 5, 2005.

1. pengu1ns

pengu1ns Regular Member

er...
    Recently, me and 2 friends were having a friendly game, though they tend to get competitive. Then another guy appears and wants to play doubles with us, since that means 2 v 2 we agree and he went onto my team. He wasnt very good at all ie. had no power/positioning etc. We still lost but not by much, and during the game i found myself playing what was probably one of my best games yet, so i am miffed it was only a friendly.:crying:
    Im wondering, did i play better because i was 'playing for survival', if you get my drift? And has anyone else experienced this?

2. J_M_V

J_M_V Regular Member

Sales
    I'm mainly a singles player so probably shouldn't comment on this :rolleyes: . But if I'm playing doubles with a partner who's clearly worse than me, I tend to get frustrated and play really badly. Also if the partner doesn't even know how to move on the field I'm quite lost - I don't know when to go after a birdie and when not. I know it is all about my own attitude, but still...:( .

3. Big Slick

Big Slick Regular Member

Well for me I'd say I play a lot worse with a bad partner, because I'd be inclined to try and force things and hit winners when they just aren't there. If you don't have any faith in your partner then you're not likely do very well. I think maybe seeing as when playing doubles I'm happy for the rallies to go on for a while, if I was playing with a weaker partner, chances are my partner will be the one who makes the mistake, so I'd end up getting frustrated. Also if you're partner is making mistakes then you end up making one or two yourself, the damn things are contageous. :p

4. BethuneGuy

BethuneGuy Regular Member

Student
    I play a lot better because there is less pressure to perform at my partner's level. Usually when I play with someone better, I tell myself "don't screw up, don't screw up", and that gets me to screw up a lot.

5. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    You get worked at a certain level. I think the bare minimal level of a partner would be someone who knows how to rotate relatively well and have good tactical/court awareness. If the difference between you and your partner is power, then it's easy to overcome (keep on the offensive; not lift the shuttle too much). Any greater difference, you'll just be working your lower back (from picking up shuttles:D).

Personally for me, it depends on the partner... if s/he can do relatively well at the front, I could work on my control: shot placement to set him/her up for net kills. Don't even think of powering through experienced oppositions when you're handicapped... your partner won't be able to cover you much.

If your opponents are much stronger and your team is severely handicapped... don't kid yourself. In a serious game, it won't be a workout at all. Physically... not really, but mentally... oh YES:p!

#5 cappy75, Jun 5, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2005
  6. Dave18

Dave18 Regular Member

Student
    If I play with a crappy male partner who does nothing, I just lose interest and do nothing at all. If it's a female partner, I'll try hard. As long as you try your best when you play even if you suck, I'll try. But if you give no effort, I'm not about to put any effort and get tired.

7. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    Lol. You cheeky fellow :p. Well I suppose I can't blame you. It happens to me also most of the time :D:D:D

Hahah. Well for one thing don't say negative things, say positive things and have positive thoughts.

Not necessary that's the bare minimal.. I've had worst. But in the end I tend to work harder moving faster and placing more shots instead of powering them. I find clearing high long deep clears in handicapped situations quite good actually. The opponents tend to mis smash it or react poorly to it (as in hit halfcourt :D:D) and BAM. Headshot!! Muahahahahah

8. K3vin

K3vin Regular Member

I generally play worst because I am trying to myself and my partner. Very confusing at times :confused:

9. |R|S

|R|S Regular Member

Student
    hehe! i have the same feeling!

but generally i do like it when i am the underdog. i got nothing to lose and everything to gain when i lose the game! hehe! imagine playing against fu haifeng! and imagine if u win! :D

10. BethuneGuy

BethuneGuy Regular Member

Student
    Imagine partnering Fu HaiFeng, against Cai Yun and Zhang Jun. Imagine the pressure to perform.

11. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    LOL. Or the legendary KDM :p

12. prophet

prophet Regular Member

teacher
    Happens all the time in my group. We have a pretty even group, but there are 2-3 players that are just at a lower level. Knowing that, if one of them is my partner, I know going into the game that I have to play harder right from the start. I need to focus and be ready to run and cover more of the court, be more agressive, and typical take more of the center court shots. Although we lose more than win, at least the games are more competitive and we make our opponents earn their victory. The occasion win by our side makes it that much sweeter.

13. winstonchan

winstonchan Regular Member

CBO (Chief Babysitting Officer)
    Depends on my partner's level of play and my partner's attitude. If the standard gap is too wide and us facing a superior opponent, then forget it, I wont play better, eventhough I wanted to. I will get so much frustration from the those sub-standard shots played by my partner, or perhaps from more unforced errors made by myself. Our opponent will kill us. I will just have fun and let the game go as it would.

If the gap is not too wide, my partner may not be as good but he knows what he's doing, plays safe shots instead of trying to be smart, then eventhough I know the chance of losing the game is high, I will still put up a fight, and who knows, we may win. That way, yes, I will play better.

It's the circumstances that tells my brain if I should put up for a fight or not.

14. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Yeah, something about playing with the opposite gender that makes one work even harder:D. It's tough playing with a partner one doesn't trust... no matter the calibre. Playing level doubles with weaker partners, you often overstretched to get at shots that weren't for you and most of the time, you could only do defensive shots. That's why mixed in this context is easier than level doubles for guys who are stronger in the team. As long as you play the shots that keeps you at the back and set your partner up for kills, you should do just fine. That's the aspect I find most challenging.

I think it depends how strong your opponents are and whether they care to indulge your team. Some of the folks I played with occasionally just want to win and move on. They'll just isolate the weaker player and pretty much pepper him/her with shots or pushed him to the back and pepper you with netkills:mad:. During those times, I would be lucky if I even get to play at all as the only time I would be able to touch the shuttle is when I serve... that's if we ever get the service back:rolleyes:.

Majority of the pop-ups are gonna be attributed to the weaker player, so you're gonna deal with more than just honing your defense. Self control will be a major area that'll be getting worked as well:p. Your ability to emotionally detached yourself from the situation and logically conclude the game will factor significantly when you do win.

15. pengu1ns

pengu1ns Regular Member

er...
    I thought there would be more similar experiences than there were, strange eh? And i dont think you realise how bad this partner was, which is why i was so proud with the result. If it was simply a weaker player who did actually have a clue about the rules etc then i may not have tried so hard, but im talking about a guy who didnt know the rules, hit the shuttle vaguely at the other side of the net and decided to stand at a far side during serves, meaning i had to serve from the middle of my side so as not to leave a half court gap.:eek:

16. quicksilver_07

quicksilver_07 Regular Member

Student
    Playing doubles...

Wow. Me and you are the same in so many ways. Im mainly a singles player myself too, so when i end up with a bad doubles partner, i find myself getting really frustrated and pissed off effecting the way i play. Most of the time i end up rushing for the shuttlecock to get points back, but find myself having to fight with my partner as to who should hit it. The problem to this, is that most of these bad players do not know any strategy or know how to alternate the play as to who hits or not. But no matter what, i still take it as game and try not to get so worked up about it. :)

17. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I tend to agree.

If the weaker player in a team at least can be dependable for certain things (i.e. rotation, decent clear, net kill, etc), then, the stronger player will have a good chance to put up a decent competitive game, with some degree of "extra effort".

If the weakest player simply can't do anything, such as can't serve, can't receive, don't move or move like a chicken got head chopped off, then, the game is simply has no point, besides possible social purpose.

Also, once a game is setup (for what ever reason) to be this way, don't think too much about the result. Win or lose, it's not anyone's fault, as the group of 4 should never be paired like this (for competitive games) @ the 1st place. There's no point to frustrated (losing) or showing off (winning), as the result can't accurately effect any lvl of skill.

18. |R|S

|R|S Regular Member

Student
    exactly! all the more i should just test them! hehe! fool around! if i win, there will be a big hu ha! i replace cai yun as fu haifeng's partner in the next olympics? but if i lose, everybody will just smile and laugh! hehe

but i do agree, if the partner is a "not bad" player, then i will try my best to perform even better, but then if everything he gets he screws it up, i'll be frustrated!

19. IvanM

IvanM Regular Member

as a matter of fact

no matter who my partner is....

the thing is about rotation....

if we can co-operatre well enough....

but if my partner is a hot (but weak) chick...

i will play a lot better.....:cool:

20. macca

macca Regular Member

cant say i agree with you on that 1, i always get distracted :/