Gripping high up the handle

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by david14700, Jun 6, 2005.

1. david14700

david14700 Regular Member

I've been playing for about 25 years, and gradually my grip has gone further and further up the handle. I've found that the shorter grip allows quicker response times and better net kills. You lose power on smashes but that's made up for by more accuracy and a better defence, and hopefully your technique improves over time to make your smashes hard enough.

As I get older, I'm being tempted to grip lower down for more power again.

How many of you grip high and does it make a big difference in your power shots?

2. sanjay

sanjay Regular Member

ive just started playing so im not too sure about it during a game..but when i practice against a wall..i find its easier when holding it higher on the grip.

3. raptorman

raptorman Regular Member

My grip is only high when playing at the net.

4. DarthHowie

DarthHowie Regular Member

Software Developer & Assistant Coach @ GBC
    You raise a good point.

(in doubles...could be applied to singles):
    When up front making net shots your grip should be higher up in the handle (my index finger reaches around the "cone" of a yonex racquet) allowing for more control and accuracy.

When playing back court i change my grip down to the bottom handle to generate more power.

In general you should always be changing grips: i.e forehand, backhand grip...as well as whether you're in the front or back court.

5. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

First, I would like to say, I am getting old too. because I am feeling the same as david14700. I found myself playing more and more control game and doing smashing for final kill only. I do see myself holding racquet close to the cone. And yes, my smash is not as fast and powerful as when I was in teen. Also, the gray hair does not help either...:crying:

6. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    The grip should be treated like the court itself.

The further back you are the further down the handle you grip, the closer to the net you are the higher up you grip the racket.

REASON:

short grip gives control, long grip gives power.

Shorter grip does not require as much of a swing hence it can be controlled more, the longer grip needs a bigger swing and can deliver more power but is more difficult to control.

7. manduki

manduki Regular Member

Student
    What happens if you don't want to sacrifice your "reach" for a slight increase in control. Afterall, if you stumble to get a netshot, your control will be poor anyways. I know of a few friends who grip high only during serves when the shorter grip doesn't really have any bad side-effects (during short serves in doubles)

Another question is do you have to get used to two different styles of playing? In doubles (at least men's doubles) you have to alternate from front and back. obviously where you grip has a huge effect on swing speed so do you have to get used to two different rackets?

8. raptorman

raptorman Regular Member

It doesn't only increase control, but speed and reflexes too.

9. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

1. The increase in reach from a long grip is very small - it's largely irrelevant.

2. Try not to stumble in the first place :D

10. christoffer

christoffer Regular Member

Trainer
    You've got experience :) ... Smashing every time you get the change isn't the best thing to do. Off course some smashed will do some good, just to get the player moving closer to the net, but it's better to make the player tired and stress him to fail the return of the smashes... So you might have become a better player on your days?

11. K3vin

K3vin Regular Member

How far down the grip do u guys go on stronger hits? I go down so that the butt of my hand is a little off the bottom of the racquet. Is this right? or does it vary to person to person on their personal preference :confused:

12. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    Each time you hit a shuttle your grip should be slightly different, the grip should alternate from backhand to forehand and always be held in the fingertips so you revert back after each shot and as you split step the grip changes to the correct one for the shot as you move and then hit and then to base with the grip in your fingertips ready to move and change again.

13. macca

macca Regular Member

i hold my racquet up by the "cone" as you have called it when im serving (doubles) for more accuracy, control and consistency. For normal shots i tend to hold the handle at about the mid point. Net shots up by the cone again, and for smashes right down at the end of the racquet. Only problem is if your hands are sweaty you run the risk of dropping the racquet whilst changing grips.

14. Robin (SWE)

Robin (SWE) Regular Member

Student
    my humble opinion

This is my little story...
    When I started out with badminton I went from flexible to more stiffer racquets as most do. The flexible racquets gave me good power being a little kid and all but as my game improved the control game was suffering because of my equipment I thought. As I advanced through the stiffer and stiffer racquets I find the need to change grips wasn't really needed much (atleast not in singles). (I changed grip when I needed the extra control or to take a quick push around my left ear or something...)

In my case I have found the conclusion that if I play with a really stiff racquet my control is excellent whilst a more flexible makes my control play suffer in order for power. After having experimented with strings and different tensions I fell very comfortable with my equipment and I will do alterations to my gear as my tecnique gets better or if I get stronger in order to be able to have good control and still all the power when doing smashes without changing grips. At present I find control and power to be excellent with my racquets:D woohoo!!

What I'm trying to say is that maybe you should change your gear and then you might be satisfied with the power and control it gives. This would also not force you to compromise btwn power shots, stronger defence and netplay and thus moving your game up a notch or two in the end. Maybe that would be something to try out? :)

15. christoffer

christoffer Regular Member

Trainer
    Which Racquet are you currently using?
    I'm very pleased with my singles-racquet which is a mp88. I'ts a heavy-headed flex racquet which gives more power, as you say about the problem with control I've stringed with bg66 at 13 kg. The string gives a great repulsion, and the high tension gives ekstra control...
    But in double, I use mp99 with 11 to give more speed in my smashes and the flat net-play, så a restringing could do the job, and saves the money for a new racquet.

--
    Christoffer

16. chinek

chinek Regular Member

Technical Administrator
    I find that gripping further up gives you more flexbility in wrist work so it's very effective for net play and also sharp smashes. But if I am playing in the backline I tend to grip further down to give it more swing.

I also play squash and in squash I almost always grip up the handle which give better control. Just digressing ...sorry.
    BTW I have also been playing badminton as long as you have though I have not been playing for the last 6-7 years and am only starting to get back into the game.

17. keith_aquino

keith_aquino Regular Member

part-time student, full-time baddy fanatic
    I think it really depend on your style. Deceptive players would close or on the cone. Offensive players (like myself) would grip near the racket's "butt"
    Although, I still grip up high when doing drop shots for more accuracy. As I said before, it really depends on your style and your situation. ;)