User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Don't know if this pic is of any help or not...

...just want to share this link/pic with you guys, if you guys haven't seen before..It's an above-the-head pic of Taufik, i'm assuming he's gone airborne(as you can see some shadows on the ground)??...Now, i don't know if he was getting ready to do a smash or another shot??..Hard to tell also the vertical angle of his arm/body, but notice his collective demeanor & his eyes focused on the shuttle..
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...ad.php?t=26271 (see post #10)..
    Last edited by ctjcad; 09-10-2006 at 12:24 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Simp84
    To me personally i think some BC member here can smash harder than many of the singles player out there..
    For instance JR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the feelings..that's what differs.Indos just got the feelings with the ball..coz that's the only thing that they r good of..n best of..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yeah, JR's smashes are extremely hard but FHF has the edge still .

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoChipWaffle
    For instance JR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gollum
    I believe, however, that the direct power contribution is small.
    You're right there, the power contribution of the wrist/forearm is not very big. It could be as little as 10%. However, that in itself is a lot already. It makes the difference between smashing at 300kmph or 270kmph. And the truth is, most players don't know how to use their wrist/forearm properly in generating power. Or don't train their wrist/forearm enough to achieve its maximum potential.
    Last edited by Iwan; 12-22-2006 at 06:51 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy06
    Maybe Tuafik has more fast twitch than slow twitch fibres in his muscles which would explain why you say he's not built...
    it seems to me to be the other way round.. no?

i feel it could have to do with the build up of the rally sometimes. what i usually notice is taufik making his opponent move about a lot while he gets to the returns with a lot of ease and can thus put himself in an optimum position to smash

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tat guy known 4 his backhand killers so lke ya dun try

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Robin (SWE)
    Good question but I disagree with some of your statements, and frankly find some ridiculous. For example, claiming that taufik "isn't built at ALL" is just juvenile and ignorant since he obviously were 'built' enough to win the 2004 Olympic GOLD Medal!! For me that is an incredibel and extremely respectable achivement...not to mention all the international tornaments that he completely owned/ruled!

When you talk down on him practicing in a not-so-serious way it shows some research needs to be done before commenting on one of, if not the, worlds best badminton player! Obviously his "natural flow", as tv commentators say, helps him and MIGHT lead to him not having to spend as many hours on the court as all those other pro players.

When studying someones smash it is not just to take it out of context and look at his tecnique and movements. One of the most importants factors in a successful ("devastating" as you say) smash is the game leading up to it and where his opponents are at and how ready they are(atleast at this level). Please don't forget to investigate other factors as well as it might lead you to wrong conclusions otherwise.

Regarding about Taufik's size and Lin Dan's... dude, L.D. is not "MUCH MUCH more built and bigger " than Taufik. There is some difference, I'm sure, but certainly not a 5 feet and 100 pounds difference.

Tips for ChocoChipWaffle: If it wasn't for some 'hollow' facts it is a good question. Try to write stuff you're sure about next time... and not to claim things like in this one. If you're unsure about something then just write a question/post and someone will answer it sooner or later with substantial sources to his facts.

Personally I believe a good smash is roughly something like 6 parts tecnique 3 parts physique +some for the equipment. And really I find the reason for Taufik's "devastating" smashes to be a combination of his play previous in the rally and the fact that he is one of the worlds top badminton player.

Now I'm done wasting time at this post. Didn't make this a ChocoChipWaffle bashing post but rather a request for ppl to check their sources 'n facts before claiming this and that.

laters all
    lol, didn't really answer the question did you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by the_oro
    lol, didn't really answer the question did you?
    in a way, he did....
    the thread-starter says TH doesn'tr train seriously (wich he undoubtebly does, Dicking around doesn't produce that kidn of game-pace...)
    he says TH isn't strong, wich he probably is, to me he looks like a well trained athlete, he isn't built big, btu defiantly has some shoulder muscles...

then he says it's all about the technique, wich is probably true, partially...

so in a way, what's there to discuss?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i guess we just all wanna find out how he does it (technique-wise) so we can all learn from him =D

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

If you know anything about how to train for power you would know that size has nothing to with power output. You need to be looking up about fast twitch muscle fiber recruitment, motor neurons and how muscles actually work.

I can't be bother to go into detail as I could write pages and pages, but when a movement e.g smash is performed (for a normal person) you only use about a 1/3 of the fibers in your arm and the motor neuron firing pattern is sporadic. When one is powerful they use all their motor neurons a once and more like 2/3 of the muscle fibers in their arm.

Types of muscle fibers - type 1 (slow twitch), type 2 slow/fast twitch interchangeable) and type 2b which are the ones which contract around 3 times faster than slow twitch ones

You want to train the type 2b fibers.

Think about basketball players, high / long jumpers, sprinters, javelin and most of all Olympic weightlifters. Men and women at 60kgs can lift like 180kg over their heads.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want to point out that there is a lot of misconceptions about the wrist here. Wrist isn't what it defines if someone's smash is strong or not. If you want to confirm, just hold your racket by it's end and just swing it. The head of the racket turns by itself and the wrist doesn't force the way it turns. That's called pronation and it happens since when you have your arm completely extended when you hit the shuttle, the hand will forcefully have to turn if it wants to be natural. "Wrist" (more the forearm muscles) are the one used when you are late on the shuttle and you can't use your bigger muscles to lead the rest (like a whip).

To come back about the full smash, it starts with the bigger muscles that will eventually make the muscles at the end move. Correct me if I am wrong since I am still a learner and still can't smash correctly.

I need to know what type of grip Taufik is using. He holds the universal way most people learned? More in the palm of his hand or in the tip of his fingers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think a lot of people over emphasize the wrist as the point for power to the point where many beginners mistake the wrist as the PROVIDER most of the power. This is not true.

Hit with only rotating your arm and your body (keeping your wrist stiff as your can) vs hitting with only flexing and rotating your wrist and I guarantee that you will hit harder and faster with your arm and body. Power comes mostly from your arm. Control comes from your wrist.

Now if you combine the two, most people are able to generate alot of power from their arm, but to get the most out of the stroke, you need to add your wrist as well. This should give you a steeper smash as well as that extra boom at the end of your kinetic chain.

Not saying that wrist don't give you power, just saying that the arm is where a MAJORITY of your power comes from and that some beginners will read "wrist" gives you power, and then try this wrist dominated stroke and hope for success and then they will fail. The wrist follows the ride given by the arm, not the other way around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Trance View Post
    I don't it can be purely technique that makes him more outstanding than the rest of the pros. The pros couldn't all possibly be any different in terms of technique since they all practice so much.
    As a pro pianist I can tell you that pros do differ in their technical ability. There are a few top pianists out there who can do things technically that the rest of us are jealous of, no matter how much we practice. (Famous examples from the last century: Horowitz for octave playing, Glenn Gould for finger articulation.) I'm sure the same is true in badminton or any other sport.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for rejuvenating a 5 yrs old thread hahaha. No but seriously I think this thread is quite interesting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by elbowtko View Post
    (keeping your wrist stiff as your can).
    You must not keep your wrist stiff, it will make your movement less natural and obviously, too stiff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ive been trying to search for this kind of thing too.
    my observation shows that it lies in relaxing the body before smashing to the last second and then, bam!
    idk how to say this in words, try it out urself.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast