Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by weeyet
    because they are registered as a "nation" under that

Just see England, Ireland, Wales competes as different "nations" in football, rugby etc. Because they are registered differently under FIFA.

But in Olympics, they are Great Britain.
    And their queen is still Queen Elizabeth II and PM is tony blair
    Yes I understand that, England Northern Ireland, Wales and Soctalnd are part of the United Kingdom or Great Britian.

But doesn't explain why Hong Kong can compete as a Nation in Olympics!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's because it's a special administrative region of the PRC, in short, it's a region in China. It'll be like sending the Queensland or California to the Olympics, would it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is my opinion, before Hong Kong return to China, it is already accepted in IOC. Even until now, they still have their own administration. Their law, constitution etc are all different from the Beijing Government. Well, this doesn't really explain why it is accepted in IOC to compete as another "nation", but you will know that actually Hong Kong still very much continues their administration as how they operate during British Era until 1997.

IMO, since Hong Kong is already a "nation" under IOC before 1997, maybe IOC din change their status. Although politically Hong Kong is not a country, but under IOC (a sports body), Hong Kong is an "Olympic Nation", same goes to Chinese Taipei.

Anyway, anyone from Hong Kong can give an opinion about this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, this could explains it. Before Hong Kong return to China, it actually already had their olympic committee. In fact, it was created and recognized (in 1951), even earlier than China's (1979).

Although most National Olympics Committees (NOC) are from nations, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) also recognises independent territories, commonwealths, protectorates and geographical areas.

For example, Hong Kong and Chinese Taipei (not a nation in UN), although politically they are not recognized as a nation, but they have their own NOC under IOC. Macau is not sending their atheletes (am I right?), because she doesn't have an NOC.

This is Hong Kong's NOC: Sports Federation and Olympic Committee of Hong Kong China.

And China's: Chinese Olympic Committee

Great Britain: The British Olympic Association

Thus, the IOC accepts atheletes from their 202 NOCs around the world, instead of 200+ countries around the world. This actually applies to other games as well.

In East-Asian Games, their 'governning' body is EAGA (East Asian Games Association), Macau China is a member of EAGA, therefore Macau sends their players to the East Asian Games. Guam is an associate member of EAGA, therefore they also sends players to the East Asian Games, but not OC, cos there is no NOC in Guam.

Timur Leste (located somewhere east to Indonesia) can send their players to the Olympics, because they have an NOC, but they don't send players to the ASEAN Games (Association of South East Asian Nations), because Timur Leste is not a member of ASEAN.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by weeyet
    Timur Leste (located somewhere east to Indonesia) can send their players to the Olympics, because they have an NOC, but they don't send players to the ASEAN Games (Association of South East Asian Nations), because Timur Leste is not a member of ASEAN.
    Timur Leste took part in the South East Asia (SEA) Games, although it is not a member of ASEAN, it was invited as it is part of south east asia.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ants View Post
    Malaysia roughly 24 million.
    surely u meant 2.4million =.= the guy mistook you for 24 mil =.=

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sirjoe1 View Post
    surely u meant 2.4million =.= the guy mistook you for 24 mil =.=
    We are indeed 24 millions roughly.
    I must not be blurred with the figure of my own people.
    We have chinese,malays,indians,kadazan,iban,bidayuh,melana u,dayak,asli jakun,baba nyonya, etc etc.And u assumed us as 2.4 million?

Enlighten me if i was wrong.Have to work so hard to declare me as malaysian then.

And commenwealth was once in our hafiz's .victories.Worth keeping it as memory

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

=.= what was i thinking =.= 24 million is correct =.= i was thinking bout nz's population lol, my bad entirely >_>

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3