Does the racquet you play with effect your performance?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by quicksilver_07, Jun 8, 2005.

1. quicksilver_07

quicksilver_07 Regular Member

Student
    I bought a new YONEX racquet not too long ago. Before that i had a Carlton and i seemed o.k with it. I used it in tournaments and it did me good, i have to say. But now i have been using the Yonex, and i feel a lot of difference in the way i play. My shots are much more accurate, and i feel that i have improved on my skill level. I asked a few of my friends if it was the racquet or was it just me? Many of them said it was just me. So out of curiosity. Does the type of racquet you play with really have an effect on the way you play, or is it just you?:rolleyes:

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    1. The player should be the main factor for performance.

2. The difference between the suitable rackets (i.e. fit for ur strength / style) should not be significant. Some might be a little bit more "suitable" than another, that's about it.

3. The difference between a suitable racket and a non-suitable (i.e. too heavy, too stiff, string too old, etc) one could be significant. It's obvious, as one is usable, and the other is not.

3. deveraux

deveraux Regular Member

Most people tend to say that the racquet doesn't matter much, but I think to a certain extent, it really does, even for a beginner player. I am, at best, an intermediate player and I occassionally play with some beginners and let some of them use some of my racquets to let them get a feel for it and I know of quite a number of cases where their performance really does improve.

Of course, I still feel that technique is much more important that racquet, however, I think that a good racquet does help a lot.

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I understand ur concern. Let me and a lot of others metioned in other threads, there might be huge difference between a US$50 and a US$5 racket, as one is decent and usable, but the other is not usable for competitive games. However, the difference between a US$200 and a US$100 racket might be very subjective, as each one has his/her own preference. ;)

5. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

Librarian, RacketsportsMontreal.ca owner
    If the your carlton and your yonex both had a similar make up, meaning, same balance, same overal weight, same flex, same materials, etc, then perhaps the two would have given you the same performance. However, what you're feeling could be :

• The "placebo effect", where just because it's a new racket, you're actually pushing yourself harder and getting better performance on your own. I've seen this actually happen with players who use the same model racket, but with a different color or something.
    • The new racket you got has a configuration more suited to your style of play. I really don't really beleive adamantly that one racket is simply better than another, but I do beleive that some rackets are more suitable for some people than others, depending on your style of play, technique and physique.

6. splinter

splinter Regular Member

Student
    It might be just a physcological effect because you know that the racket you used is new. It does helped to a certain extent when you improve because a new racket is bought. Nevertheless, getting to the basics right like your footwork and hitting is still the best way to improve regardless of whether how good is your racket.I guess it should be the matter of adaptability. Btw, which yonex racket u bought?

7. winstonchan

winstonchan Regular Member

CBO (Chief Babysitting Officer)
    2 questions behind your question:
    1. Can you tell the difference?
    2. Is the difference a genuine physical one or just a psychological effect?
    If you can't tell the difference, then the new racquet is as good as your old one FOR YOU, eventhough it's a different racquet completely. If you can, is it heavier, lighter, head-heavier, head-lighter, shaft longer, swing time longer...? Compare the spec of your new racquet with your old one, and see if what you feel is the difference in the specs. If there's no difference in the spec but you feel different, then it's definitely a psychological one. Not surprising, happens to everyone.

Afterall, if you like your new racquet, you will make an effort to get used to using it. If you don't, you will leave it in the bag, or take it out and play with it for 10 mins during warm-up then switch back to old one when you start the game.

#7 winstonchan, Jun 8, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2005
  8. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    You can in most cases feel the differences between racquets, even racquets with the same model number and weight and grip group. Some people can adjust to minor differences but not large differences.
    Just do this simple test with your own racquet : take off all the grip material on your racquet handle, weigh it and replace with a combined lightweight-PU lining underlay and a light replacement grip of the same total weight as the junked grip material. You can get these very light PU underlay from any shop selling wardrobe and drawer linings. These linings are dirt cheap, a roll costs less than HK$10 and you can use one roll for 100 underlays. You can change the underlay every week and the replacement grip once every 1-2 months. Believe me, each time you change the underlay and or the replacement grip, you will get your racquet to perform a lot better.
    If your same racquet can show performance differences everytime you replace the above grip underlay, at almost no cost, different racquets, models, weight and grip sizes will of course display differences. Whether the differences will affect your play is another matter.
    Incidentally, contrary to what many of you think, stringing at high tensions of 26 lbs + do provide you with more power. I have strung high tension racquets for many players, from the young (11 years of age) to the old (above 60), and when asked why do they prefer high tensions, they all invariably say, with not a single exception, that it is for increased power. You don't know what you are missing playing with below 26lbs tensions. It is a real waste with expensive racquets. :D

9. quicksilver_07

quicksilver_07 Regular Member

Student
    Thanks.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to explain and adding some tips to make my game play better. I will give it a shot and see how it effects me. You have really good tips and explanation i have to say.:D

10. surge

surge Regular Member

if you are using the old t-joint cabonex 8 and switch to say a Ti10. there is a great difference that you cn immediately feel it in the game. but if you then switch from the Ti10 to a armortec, then the difference is minor. you just gotta adjust you timing etc to suit that racket. thats where one always says...a racket that you FEEL most comfortable with is the racket you should use...in other words you can play with the racket without adjusting you timing at all!!!

i have seem ppl switching from Ti10 to MP to armortec to nanospeed. these are all high end stuff, the newer racket may generate some extra power etc but is nothing compared to proper execution and technique at this level of play.

boys will be boys.....we just love tech toys....though i love my Ti10, i am always toying w ideas to get different rackets.....they look nice you know:D

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    u can impress the newbies but not me.
    u praise high tension alot but u rarely mention the strings used.
    newbies who r use to playing with thick nylon fishing lines, bg65, 70 are surely
    impress with improve sound and power with bg66/85. This isnt about having 26+ lbs. :rolleyes: Pros go high tension not for the power reason, same thing as pro indy cars go 13" wheels not for handling reason. :p

bg66/85 dont last as long...
    high tension shorten string life further...
    newbies mishit alot...
    exellent combination........................ for good business LOL

12. Shuttlebugs

Shuttlebugs Regular Member

I do not understand why some people are so passionate about high tension. While there is nothing wrong with it, there are so many factors involved and to equate one factor as key to power seems a bit lopsided. I am just wondering whether a person with good grip and wrist movement with say 20lb tension will produce a more powerful smash than a person with 30lb tension but has lousy grip and wrist movement. I am just using grip and wrist as an example even though we all know there are many more physical and metal factors contributing to a smash.

13. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    For me sometimes rackets does affect my performance. If just for casual play,any racket will do. But for more intense games, i would prefer the racket of my choice. :)

14. winstonchan

I gotta say I agree with Cooler on this one. High tension does not mean more power. High tension means the string surface is less elastic, so at very high tension it's similar to hitting the shuttle with a flat board. You need more power your wrist to drive the shuttle. High tension gives excellent control to the shuttle, so the amount of force needed for net tab, long rallies, hard smash, are all under your full control. Newbies don't have strong wrist power, so they will have a hard time playing with racket strung to high tensions. Newbies would more suitable be having a racquet like a Springboard (medium flex and moderate tension string).
    And BG66/68Ti when strung to high tension will snap if mishit happenes too often. So i'd not suggest you tell everyone to go high tension, etc...

15. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

The champions of old played with 17-19 lbs tension the new breed with 30+ lbs. One of the main reasons for this is that in the past racquets could not withstand the very high tensions that today's racquets can handle. But the champions of old are still active today, coaching and playing with today's racquets. But they still stick to their 'old' 17-19 lbs tensions on a Yonex MP99 or a La Fleche Ti 500. I sometimes spar with an ex-champion who is near his 70s, and boy, can he really hit and make fools of many younger players!
    The trend towards higher tension has been brought about by newer technology racquets and the change to increased power and speed in today's game. If lower tension will give you more power and speed, the top players of today must have been misled, which is unlikely. This is the main thrust I am shooting at.
    High tensions do break strings more often and are not something that professional stringers are too keen on because of slower turnaround and increased warranty claims. However, some of these problems can be minimized. As I said earlier, high tension stringing should avoid the use of the awl and extreme care should be taken to avoid kinks in the string. Use of 6-point stringing machines and operating them properly are essential. String thickness can be varied to suit the local conditions and the player.
    I use BG 66 and Ti68 for tensions of up to 31 lbs. I have players coming to me asking for 30lbs tension routinely. Sure, a mistimed hit at the top of the frame will kaput the string with the very first hit with high tension. Some have the misfortune to experience this, but they have learned to correct this. The average high tension string life of the racquets I string for others is between 1.5 to 2.5 months. Yes, I have made many converts to high tensions and none has gone back to their old tensions. I offer them a special restring price of HK$50 should their strings break before one month. I put my money where my mouth is? :D

16. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

You are not comparing the two fairly. Of couse, a world champion with a beach badminton racquet can outplay a novice with a Nano8K.
    Just 5-6 years ago there were a lot of top badminton players playing with 23-26lbs tension. Now, not even the ladies, use such low tensions. They have moved along. So should we. The game of badminton is changing, for the better, and I believe we should not stagnate. :D

17. winstonchan

I think you are missing everyone's point completely.

We have nothing against high tension. New technology and materials indeed have enabled rackets to be made stronger and lighter, hence can tolerate higher string tension, up to say 30 lbs or above.

My point is, and I believe what the others were trying to say too, that racket weight, stiffness, and string tension should SUIT the play level and style of the person using the racket. If you HAVE the skill or power, then YES stiff racket and high tension give you the extras. But high tension itself DOES NOT mean more power. Two separate things.

18. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

No, I am not missing the point. AOTBE, meaning the same racquet, flex, strings, weight, grip, hall conditions, shuttles, the same racquet will have more power at 30 lbs than at 22 lbs.
    Since you are in Hong Kong, maybe I can arrange for you to try out two similar racquets, one at 22lbs and the other at 30lbs tension. If you have a La Fleche Ti500 or a Yonex AT800DE, I can prepare these two racquets, strung with cheapy strings at 30 or 31 lbs and leave them with Inskysport, who can arrange for such evaluations/tests against your lower tension racquets of similar models but strung with more expensive strings. My choice of cheapy strings on my high tension racquets is a handicap concession. I have done this before with Inskysport but the evaluations were done by coaches. :D

19. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    just a guess

Hi there!

Back to the original question :rolleyes:

You do not mention what Carlton racket you had and What Yonex racket you switched to..

An educated guess would be that you had a classic (oval head) Carlton racket (most older models from carlton use classic head shapes), and the Yonex you bought was Isometric head (most newer Yonex got ISO-shaped heads).

The Idea behing an ISO-shaped head is to increase the Sweetspot area, som it could just be that your new racket is slightly more "foregiving" than your Carlton one..

The Strings used and tension is also of course a major factor, different strings and tension will also increase/decrease sweetspot, and help to produce more power or control..SO a good racket with porr strings will probably feel worse than a poor racket with great strings!!

/Twobeer

20. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    I highly recommend that u read the sticky for 'beginners'

http://www.badmintonforum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=21851&highlight=power