How should I train my arm power to hit a shuttlecock far?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Jansenkzh, Jun 10, 2005.

1. Jansenkzh

Jansenkzh Regular Member

By doing lifting of weights? dumbell? swimming? need some enlightening.

2. macca

macca Regular Member

you may want to look at your tecnique (im assuming your talking about clearing the shuttle) im not overly strong but i can get it from the back of the court to the back of the other side fairly easily. Although if you want to go down the routes you have listed i would suggest swimming. Its a good idea if you want to improve overall strength (i did around 4 years swimming a while back) and its great excersize too. Although its really up to you

Personnaly i would just suggest playing more badminton, if you play for say 2 hours 5 times a week for a month or 2 your arm strength will increase gradually

#2 macca, Jun 10, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2005
  3. Hackey

Hackey Regular Member

Student
    Long prectice rallies, clearing all the time. You can then work on your technique as well as building the appropriate muscles.

4. BethuneGuy

BethuneGuy Regular Member

Student
    I have major problems clearing with plastic. Need so much more effort, as well as loss of accuracy. But yet my clearing with feather is effortless, can someone help me with that.

5. Neosakai

Neosakai Regular Member

Unemployed =(
    To me, nylon and feathers are the same. What brands of plastic shuttles do you guys have problems clearing with?

I also have problems clearing from backline to backline. It takes me some effort, however in a tough situation or if I'm too tired.... I won't be able to do it.

I've started skipping for a week.. See if makes up for my strength.

6. Jansenkzh

Jansenkzh Regular Member

Its a big topic here. For taller people its not a problem, clearing for them is easy. How to say, their hand is long enough to swing backwards and whack the shuttle away... now my arm sprained the 2nd times and have recovered, I'm not sure what kind of weight lift exercise I should go for. I'm sure swimming would help. The doctor asked me to swim more often. Training how to clear is very very important, by training more often 3 days in a week doesn't make you better instead it makes you more tired and hate to clear. I trained 3 days in a week and now my arm is totally dead. Hope more people could guide me. :eek:

7. splinter

splinter Regular Member

Student
    Not too sure about plastics.. but i used feather shuttles.. as how i was taught..

::: Get yourself in time behind the shuttle (footwork in this case)..

:::Give yourself ample time to prepare to take the shot..

::: Hit the shuttle on the sweetspot of the racket (of course you must apply some strength) and the shuttle should be able to travel the from basline to baseline..

::: Practice is the key to it.. set yourself a target number to times to hit (for example: 100 non-stop)..

Another thing to note is the "follow-through" of your body after you hit.. it will make you feel more natural and gets your ready for the next shot...

Good luck :>

8. splinter

splinter Regular Member

Student
    Do ample warm-up on every part of your body before each game. After warm-down after that. Maybe your technique is not too correct which leads to you feeling more tired? I guess if your technique is correct.. minimal effort would be needed to clear the shuttle..

9. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

Jansen, if that's how you look at it, then you'd hate to be training for badminton :rolleyes: Back when I didn't have the power to clear consistently to the baseline, my coach delibrately made me do clears with another guy for 10 minutes, full court. So I have to do crosscourts and straights as well. This is the only real way to develop a better stroke, make your arm dead tired so that you instinctively search for a more efficient stroke. Infact any training that involves toning your physical attributes for strength, is only really effective if it makes you feel dead beat at the end of the day.

10. i_two_net

i_two_net Regular Member

I'm only a novice player myself, but the only way to improve is to train until you hit the wall, and then train some more. Yes, you will be dead now, but in a few months when you grind your opponent down to dust with good consistent clears you will be thanking the training. Some weight training does help, to build up muscular strength so that when you swing fast you are less likely to tear something. Here is one exercise you can try --> http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/upper-body-exercise.html. Ask your gym instructor or coach for more guidance.

Cheers,

11. Jansenkzh

Jansenkzh Regular Member

The thing now is my arm still haven't recover fully from the 2nd time sprained after playing badminton. I can't do clear yet as my arm can't take pressure, it might some how sprain again..... need to do some swimming or some weight lift. took like 3 months for me to get back to a tough badminton training again.

12. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

If u can sprain ur hand by doing clears then something is seriously wrong with your stroke.

13. Jansenkzh

Jansenkzh Regular Member

This is what happened. Last year I play soccer and I fell without a good posture. It crack my arm and pain like hell, din go see doctor. This year I sprain 2 times... its not my skills problem.. My muscle haven't fully connect my bone to strengten it yet.

14. raptorman

raptorman Regular Member

Maybe you better let your injury heal first?

15. i_two_net

i_two_net Regular Member

You really ought to get it checked out. There may be some residual damage from your last fall and if you don't sort it out you could suffer a permanent injury.

16. Trance

Trance Regular Member

Student ;)
    Yes, I am exactly the same with you. At first I've always thought I have not generated enough power in my clears through either my technique or strength using plastic shuttles.

I recently played with feather for the first time a couple of weeks ago and realized that I can clear perfectly fine with them.

Now, I understand that plastic shuttles usually creates a faster game, but why is it that feather shuttles can be cleared easier?

17. winstonchan

winstonchan Regular Member

CBO (Chief Babysitting Officer)
    Reading thru some posts I often see you guys mentioning "arm power" to clear the shuttles. Apology if I have misunderstood anything, but you DON'T use arm power to do clears. You use WRIST power. The amount of force you use from your arm to do clears is minimal in Badminton. Your arm is merely used to hold the racket high up in the air and you hit the shuttle at the highest point directly over your head. And timing is an important factor. If you hit the shuttle at the highest point with proper timing, you don't need a lot of force to do clears.

How to train for wrist power? I used the most primitive methods. Grab a tennis racket and practice badminton clear strokes (dont swing your arm at all). Not too fast, so you dont hurt your wrist in doing so, but it does build up your lower arm muscle. Alternatively, grab a badminton racket without removing the racket cover, hold it out 90 degree to your standing body, then swing it up and down. Again, that's training your wrist and lower arm muscle.

After a 100 strokes of tennis rackets clears, your badminton racket will feel like nothing and you'll just swing and hit clears base to base.

I cannot say that's the proper method, but I used to and did me good.;)

#17 winstonchan, Jun 13, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2005
  18. Jansenkzh

Jansenkzh Regular Member

No, when we clear high, we need to get our wrist and hand high up or in another word, swing up straight high and clear it..... that will somehow use armpower.

19. BethuneGuy

BethuneGuy Regular Member

Student
    My coach says easier to smash (fast) with plastic, but it's easier to clear feather. Even when I get it on the sweetspot and get a bang, with plastic, it maybe only lands on the back doubles service line, unless I muscle through it a little. And the attack clears are so hard to control...