Zhang Ning at an Event

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by ants, Jun 10, 2005.

1. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Zhang Ning during press conference.

Attached Files:

2. Syaoran_Style

Syaoran_Style Regular Member

By the way .. just yesterday i saw on CCTV4 a broadcast about zhang ning =p .. when i put the channel .. i didn't realize that i was seeing zhang ning in interview !! we saw zhang ning practicing, ( i'm not chinese so i didn't even understand a word .. =/), li yongbo talked also, we saw other players but they didn't talk =) i was so happy this is the first time i saw a player in a real interview ... :D :D :D

3. Devilicious

Devilicious Regular Member

student
    Yup! I even taped the interview! :) Gosh, I didn't know ZN had so many obstacles before her rise. I can provide translations (when I have time to rewatch it) if anyone is interested.

4. kyiyu

kyiyu Regular Member

General Manager
    Pls do so if you have time so that chinese illiterate like me can understand:D

5. magical_phoenix

magical_phoenix Regular Member

Yes yes yes, please!!! I would love to know what Zhang Ning was saying. I could only understand part of it. Then, it would be extremely great that you can send the video through the net as well. Is that possible??:confused: :D

6. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Its touching to hear her struggles. That is what it takes to be No.1

7. weeyet

weeyet Regular Member

Engineer / Freelance pianist
    Hey guys!!!!!
    I din watch this interview
    So can anybody tell us the content here???.....
    I remember Zhang Ning has been in the national squad for a very long time, ealier than some players who had already retired like Dai Yun(if not mistaken) only until now she stands on the top of the world.
    Always see her playing the third singles those days, does anybody know what happens between those days until today??
    I found out I gradually fall in love with this girl. :eek:

8. Devilicious

student
    Translation of interview- first part

[​IMG]
    Ten years ago, she experienced a fatal defeat, leaving her a long, long nightmare. In ten years, her team mates surpassed her, her coaches neglected her, her fans forgot about her.

Ten years later, she defeats her opponent, steps on the highest Olympic podium at the age of 29. Zhang Ning suddenly becomes a miracle in the badminton world.

2004-08-15 Olympics, Athens.
    MS #1 seed Lin Danlost in first round.
    2004-08-18 Olympics, Athens
    MS #2 seed Chen Hong lost in quarter finals, putting an end to China’s MS gold dream.
    2004-08-17
    The Chinese’ two MD teams lost in quarter finals. No more hope for gold.
    2004-08-18
    WS #1 seed Gong Ruina lost in semi-finals.
    The many misfortunes cast a dark veil in the Chinese badminton team. This is when people set their eyes onto their only hope: Zhang Ning.

Reporter –Will you be like in today’s condition in your match against Zhang Haili?
    ZN –Because it’s the Olympics and I’m already at the finals, I believe everyone will prepare carefully. After winning Gong Ruina, her self-esteem probably raised a lot. First of all, by avoiding making errors, would be a good start.

In Zhang Ning’s badminton career, no one, besides Zhang Haili, has given her as much influence. This Indonesian, who now represents Holland, was once Zhang Ning’s worst nightmare. For ten years, Zhang Ning has been living in the shadows of her own nightmare. She’ll never forget Zhang Haili and her first encounter, ten years ago.

1994, Uber Cup 15th edition held in Indonesia, Jakarta.

19-year-old Zhang Ning, young and inexperienced, participated in the competition as the Chinese team’s #4 WS player.

ZN –The 1st game, my coach told me to play. But then, ten days after playing that game, until the finals, and I still didn’t have any more opportunities to get on court. On the first few days, I was still thinking ‘I need to prepare thoroughly, maybe the coach will let me play this game or something.’ When I was not participating in the first game, nor the second, nor the third, and when the fourth arrived and I still wasn’t allowed to play, I was thinking ‘I probably won’t be playing in this competition (final)’. But when one day, during the morning practice, the coach told me ‘Tonight, you play third single.’ the final was to be held that very night.

Li Yongbo –That day, Zhang Ning attended the competition in a desperate state because at that time, Zhang Ning wasn’t #3 single. She should be behind Liu Yuhong, as #4. the team was following the whole plans before the finals, but due to many reasons, at the critical moment, Liu Yuhong couldn’t play. So Zhang Ning had to replace her.

In the first 4 competitions, China and Indonesia are tied at 2-2, so the match Zhang Ning is attending will determine the final Uber Cup winner. Before this, China has kept the cup for 5 consecutive years. Therefore, the giant task of perpetuating the record rests on Zhang Ning’s shoulders.

ZN –I myself was quite worried, and plus, it was the final. If you win, people will celebrate for you. But if you lose, what should you do? I was thinking a lot at that time and was pretty afraid.

1994-05-22 night, Zhang Ning saw Zhang Haili for the very first time. Zhang Haili was only 15 and was the Indonesian team’s youngest member.

ZN –At that time, I saw she was quite small, but she looked very fierce. Through her eyes, I can feel that she wants to see you afraid.

This competition is ZN and ZHL’s first encounter ever.

ZN –My performance in the game feels good. As I step on court, my advantages were obvious. I was leading 7-2. But after, maybe because of my 7-2 lead, the Indonesian fans became insane. Their cries made it impossible for me to hear my coach’s voice, although he was very very near me. At that time, maybe it was the first time I face such situation, and also the first time I bear as much pressure, I couldn’t think nor listen to what the coach says. Afterwards, they told me that my whole person change. No one knew what I was doing. When I just finished playing, I didn’t even feel stressed. Usually, when people are stressed, their arms and feet shake, but I didn’t feel that. At that time, my mind had gone totally blank. The only thing I knew was one moment I was leading 7-2, and the next, I lost 11-7.

**Enough for now. I'll add following parts later.

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    We want MORE!!! :eek: :D

This is really interesting!! It focusses on the Olympics but what about the 2003 World Championships?

10. JumpingSmash

JumpingSmash Regular Member

zhang haili must be mia audina, right ??
    I don't know she has a chinese name

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

yes, that's correct.

12. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i like that detail recap of event by her
    as i have watched that '94 match :D

13. Devilicious

student
    Lol, oops. I never made the parallel between Zhang Haili and Mia Audina, although I've seen the same person on tv being named both in Chinese and English. :eek: Mmm, from now on, she'll be referred to Audina in the following translations. ^__________^"

14. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced

I wonder if it's because of her match in the UC final. Even though she was the #4 single, the coach should have let her play a couple matches in the early round so she can get use to the audience and the environment. How can a 19 years old girls take all the pressure playing her first UC match in the deciding match in the final. I wonder if the loss was one of reasons she wasn't doing well in her early career.

#14 Qidong, Jun 13, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2005
  15. Devilicious

student
    I think the whole interview itself is focused on ZN's fall and rise. I guess they're trying to justify her long career as an athlete.

16. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Regular Member

If I've read the interview correctly, I think ZN said that she did play in the first match (i.e., in the first round), but not again until the final.

But, I agree with you though, I saw highlights of that final meet in Senayan. I was mightily impressed that a 14 year old and a 19 year old could even perform in such a pressure cooker. No surprise that they both went on to have such long illustrious careers.

P.S.: I didn't know Mia's Chinese by descent? I always thought she's Javanese. Just curious.

17. viver

viver Regular Member

Well, if she was the 4th singles, the 3rd singles was supposed to play more often. The Chinese technical team may not have expected that the 3rd singles wouldn't play in the final. Just curious about the reason as it did not say that she was injured.

It's understandable how a 19 year old is going to cope with the pressure, specially when the success of a country depended on her. Rather than focusing on her failure, I rather look at how admirable a 14 year old was able to decide the team's success in winning the cup. For a 14 year old girl, it wouldn't be easy even to walk into the court knowing the responsibility she had - by any standards.

18. Devilicious

student
    Mmmm... people mentionned 14 years old a few times. Wasn't Audina 15 as I wrote in the post? :confused:

19. Devilicious

student
    Translation of interview -part two

OMG translating this is so long. More to come later on. :crying:

[continued from part one]
    In the second set, ZN played unexpectedly well and produced a small miracle.

ZN –In the second set, I kept playing. I surprisingly won the set when the opponent was leading 10-6. Later, people told me that they never thought I’d be able to get a comeback. They were convinced that my winning the second set will assure a victory in the third.

As the second set ends, Zhang Ning’s coaches and team mates are full of hope, whereas Zhang Ning felt no confidence at all.

ZN –After 1-1, we entered the rest room to hear the coach’s comments. I guess at that time, even if I were sober, I wouldn’t have been able to listen to what coach said. Besides, the atmosphere was so stressful that I couldn’t pay attention to the advices. So in the end, as I step on court, I lost in the third set anyway.

Because of her own mistakes, ZN made the Chinese team lose the precious Uber Cup. For this, ZN reproaches herself.

ZN –I was unable to sleep that night. Lying on the bed, I kept thinking ‘Why did I lose today’s competition?’ At that time, all I could do is continuously reflect on the day’s match. I just couldn’t sleep. I think I slept at most two hours that night. I was lying on the bed and knew it was really late. I forced myself to stop thinking. Lost is lost, you can’t change reality. Yet I could only think of my defeat. I simply couldn’t fall asleep.

After the Uber Cup finals, Audina became famous and is being referred to the genius teen. As for Zhang Ning, her self-esteem has been totally blown into smitherness. In the following nine years, she has been unable to erase this nightmare-like memory. At that time, she was young and fit. What was normally supposed to be an athlete’s peek was, for ZN, a downcast.

ZN –I myself thought that I’m the sinner for losing the last WS. The pressure was way too big, especially after we return (to China). When I see people, including ones in the team, I didn’t dare to look at them. I was very afraid.

LYB –If Zhang Ning won that game, her fame and success in badminton probably would’ve arrived long ago. Her defeat silenced her for many years. It followed her like a dark shadow.

For ZN, the hardest time was the Sydney Olympics’ eve. By then, she was already 25 and has been on the national squad for almost ten years. This years’ Olympics will probably the last one in her whole career. Yet, just like 1996’s Olympics, she wasn’t on the Chinese team’s list.

ZN –At that time, I was already way older than them (her team mates). I felt that I was often only there to keep them company at practices. With Ye Zhaoyin, I still found it normal, but when training with the other two Dai Yun and Gong Zhichao, I really didn’t feel good: they are younger and can go to the Olympics whereas I have to help them prepare. I felt quite uncomfortable. For a certain period, I was in no mood for practices. Sometimes when accompanying them or practicing with them, I didn’t even feel like to play. I was unable to be in the mood. I didn’t want to train with them on the same court; I couldn’t even bare the sight of a shuttlecock. After all these years, having played in several UC without much result and missing twice the Olympics, I felt that the daily training became merely a kind of perfunctory task. It’s like coming to practices to play with them a little. But I find this idea quite selfish.

After the 2000 Sydney Olympics, athletes of ZN’s age and even younger ones have all retired. ZN also thought about giving up. In her 15 years of badminton career, she has never won a world champion title. For this, she will not take it, but decides to follow fate.

ZN –After the 2000 Olympics, because many people like Ye Zhaoyin all thought about quitting, I thought ‘It should be the time for me too’. Maybe the results in my badminton career will only be like this. Sometimes, I find that, for myself, I gave a lot, but the key is I still haven’t incarnated into a badminton player’s role. I kept thinking ‘I work very hard, why aren’t the results reflecting my efforts?’ Maybe what I give and what I receive can only be like this; maybe fate decided I won’t get more first places. After playing that year’s national competition (Quan Yun Hui), I told coach LYB that I didn’t want to play anymore.

LYB –I believe her mentality at that time is the traditional Chinese female athletes’. They all think that attaining the age of 26 or 27 is the moment to put an end to their career. But I know ZN better. Her mental is very strong and she’s really fit. Comparing to people of her age, her body fitness level is higher: her muscle type and energy is younger and stronger. Second of all is her psychological aspect. It had always been very simple, not as mature as people of her age. She doesn’t think as much and has a more innocent mind. This is why I think her athletic career should be very long. Therefore, from these two sides, I told her ‘you are equipped with all the capacity to win a world number one title. Athletes with conditions like you are scarce. Wouldn’t your giving up be a pity?’

20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Wow, this is really interesting. Thanks...

LYB = Mr Motivator.

Just dying to read the rest of the interview...aargh