how to due with fast hard hitting players

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by shawn30_k, Jun 10, 2005.

1. shawn30_k

shawn30_k Regular Member

student
    im having problems dueing with this kind of players in singles can anyone give me some tactical advice on how to get the upperhand.one point to note is his footwork is not veri good and he is a little stiff by nature in his playing style.cheers mate

2. Super~ME!

Super~ME! Regular Member

student
    hello...haha...sounds like one of the coaches at my club...7/10 of his shots are either drives, smashes, or clears. based on the fact that your person's a power player with 'not very good' footwork...i guess he probably tires himself out easily. maybe just keep him at the back with clears and drives and the occasional nets and drops to run him...since all he does is whack the bird...how are his net and drop shots?...maybe try to get him there...i once knew a guy who just kept whacking it and had 10 feet high net shots...you'll probably know to expect something in the back half of the court...and another thing...even though he hits it hard most of the time...maybe consider how often they go out...now that i think of it...he sounds like a tennis player who just picked up badminton...:p

#2 Super~ME!, Jun 11, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2005
  3. keith_aquino

keith_aquino Regular Member

part-time student, full-time baddy fanatic
    These guys are my specialty! :D
    I can never thank mag enough for that article. It's been
    really useful.

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/badminton-central/content/view/15/35/

What I usually do is hit the shuttle to the far back as possible. After his return, I simply drop the shuttle. Sure he'll return it; but since he has horrible footwork, he'll get tired. I also avoid high shots unless it's really at the back.
    Hope you found this useful. ;)

4. shawn30_k

shawn30_k Regular Member

student
    ya he does know basic footwork but i find that at certain times its easy to play him out of position.he the kind of player who looks at the shuttle and uses his speed to get there and hits the shuttle.his drops are normal not too high but his lob is less effective then his drops.his net is his main weak point.ive not tried playing deceptive play against this type of opponent because im on the defensive most of the time.