Learning badminton

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Nikar, Jun 11, 2005.

1. Nikar

Nikar Regular Member

Hi,

Ok....I know how to play badminton, but all along, I never know any rules whatever.
    My girlfriend is a badminton player and you know, sometimes, during conversations, it's good to strike up some chit-chat about badminton to entertain her etc.

Now, any interesting ideas? Like which aspect of badminton is the most interesting to talk about? Is it the competitions? Or the fanciful tricks/techniques?

I'm also currently reading this site to learn about the rules of badminton etc.

Thanks!

2. splinter

splinter Regular Member

Student
    Ask her to teach you a tip or 2.. Coach you even.. haha.. hmm.. actually.. everything about badminton is interesting.. is how weel you know about it that's all..

3. chinek

chinek Regular Member

Technical Administrator
    Well learn the rules and learn the game better. Better still take up the game actively and play with her...
    then have your chit chat after game. infact you don't need to even talk about badminton after that.

4. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    Dude, you are one lucky guy. Many of the guys here would kill to be in your position :p. Why not learn badminton off her? Once you start to learn the game, you'd be able to find out more topics to converse with her!!

5. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

Librarian, RacketsportsMontreal.ca owner
    It's a bit hard to talk about techniques in casual conversations (away from court), especially when still beginners. But one thing that I find can interest everyone in general, even non-badminton players, is gaming experience and stories about teamwork. Sorta like even non-fisherman can enjoy a good tale about the struggle for a big fish.

I mean, unless everyone is a badminton nerd, "well I think you should shift your weight, put more hips into it, pronate the forearm and flick it to their backhand corner..." isn't exactly coffee talk, but "he was smashing and I was like BLAM! back to you! and smash and BLAM! and then I countered and dove to the right because he droppped it and then he cleared it and I was running like a dog and then..."

6. Nikar

Nikar Regular Member

Thanks a lot for your replies, Jinryu, Chinek, FEND and Splinter!

Actually, I'm not so worried about the playing part. I can more or less catch the shuttle with my racket and hit back etc.

However, you know....there's some of her male friends who're also badminton players and in the circumstance of a game with my girlfriend and her male badminton friends, I don't wanna look like a fool and embarrass her if the whole lot of them start talking about badminton stuff.

Worse yet, some of these badminton folks are chasing after her and trying to impress her everyday. Now, I really need to be at least somewhere "on-par" with them.

Anyway, I'm already embarking on a badminton theory crash-course to learn about the basic rules of badminton and such.
    I'm reading the articles on this forum and today, I've some questions regarding rules.
    Hope you can all help!

1) In a men's Singles and Doubles badminton game, the party who wins 15 points first is considered the winner? (Yes / No)

2) In a women's Singles and Doubles badminton game, the party who wins 11 points first is considered the winner? (Yes / No)

3) Is it true that the serving party gets 1 point if he serves the shuttle and the receiving party fails to catch it? (Yes / No)

4) On Badminton central, there's this article which says :
    Can anyone explain to me what is "14-all" and what the passage is telling?

5) Lastly, is it true that in a men's Singles/Doubles game, the players must switch sides when the score reaches 8?
    For the women's Singles/Doubles game, the players must switch sides when the score reaches 6? (Yes / No)

Thanks a lot, guys!
    Nikar! :)

7. splinter

splinter Regular Member

Student
    Looks like you are lacking some self-confidence huh? She loved for who you are.. if she mind that you are not good and badminton and leave you for other better-than-you badminton players.. she isn't worth your love for her.. Have some self-confidence mate.. Don't be what you are not.. it will make you feel "strange".. haha..

My answers to your questions..
    1) Yes
    2) Yes
    3) Yes, provided that the serve gets into the receiving player's "box" (the correct term can't seem to come into my mind)

4) 14-all means 14-14 (10-10 for the ladies).. It means that if the game reached 14-14 (or 10-10), the player who drew the score will either choose to play until 15-14 (for either player) or decide the game/set in another 3 points (meaning the first person to get 17 points wins the game/set).

5) Not too sure whether is it a must.. but from what i observed.. it does usually happen.. and it only happens in the deciding set of play (meaning the game set).. *For example, in the round of 3 sets.. players 'A' and 'B' won 1 set each.. so they will play the deciding set to determine the winner. *

8. LT - RulZ

LT - RulZ Regular Member

Student
    Don't know if you do this already, but challenge other guys/gals to doubles =) That would be a great way to have another different partner "relationship". Usually quite a few things that can be said after two people just engaged in a fierce battle...

9. Nikar

Nikar Regular Member

My....I'm really sick of these badminton theory and I can't take it anymore.
    What I'm gonna do now is to be a real man and have a badminton game with them if they ask me to.

Yes, you're right....it's also a good opportunity to get her to teach me some of the badminton stuff.
    I think it's more important to be good on the techniques and be able to defend and hit back all the shuttles that the opponent sends you.

In general, I do have a few questions on playing badminton well, though. Hope you guys don't mind! :)

1) Regarding playing Doubles in a game. You know, I'm always scared that my and my partner will go and hit the shuttle at the same time and in the end, clash into each other or worse still, I will accidentally smack his/her face with my racket. This is why I'm worse off when playing Doubles. Do you guys shout commands etc. to each other?
    Like "The shuttle is coming! This time, I'll hit!" or "You stay back! This is mine!" etc.?

2) In a game of badminton, do you guys run around in your area all the time waiting for the shuttle to come? Or do you guys just stand there cooly and wait for the shuttle to come, before hitting it back?
    In the first case, it can be tiring after a while, right?

3) The third question is regarding aiming. Sometimes, the shuttle is coming down onto my court area and I aim at it carefully. Then, I use all my force to smack the shuttle back to the opponent, but strangely, I miss!
    Can this kind of poor aiming be overcome with practice?

4) The last question for today is regarding smacking(the technique whereby the opponent suddendly hits back the shuttle to you very hard and furiously).
    A smack is usually very unpredictable and there's no way to counter it, right?

Thanks folks! :)
    (I was just dreaming how great it's gonna be if I could beat all the other guys at badminton....I would be her hero then! :rolleyes:)

10. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

1) By the time you say that, the shuttle is on the floor. Shout "Yours!" or "Mine!" if necessary. Also "Yes!", "No!" or "Watch!" to indicate that the shuttle is falling in/out/close to the line respectively.

2) Not exactly running around, but you do need to keep moving and alert if you want to play well.

3) Yes.

4) Wrong. A smash (not "smack") can easily be countered.

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Relax, buddy. I am pretty sure ur gf loves u, because she likes ur personality, not whatever ur skill lvl is. You can be a world champ, but if she does not like u in person, then it's still a no no.

Be confident, and there's no need to feel bad as u might not be as good as her other friends. Everyone is good at different stuff, and no one could be Mr. Perfect in every single category (i.e. sport). ;)

12. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

Badminton is not as easy as it seems, the objective is not simply just hitting the shuttle back to the other side of the court. It would take you many practices just to play properly, but I am sure you will find more joy out of badminton as you are improving.

1. When playing double, more than yelling out “mine” or “yours”, the person with forehand should take the middle.

2. This is closely related to number 1 and there are procedures of where to go/do when defending as well as offending. For example: the players split to left and right when in defensive position or front and back when attacking. Moreover, playing badminton is tiresome at first place, but if you step up and hit the shuttle the quickest as possible, it could bring you team the advantage or score a point.

3. Rather than using a roar power, try to use you wrist more for aiming. And I suggest you to do it easily as you progress, before you hit too hard and hurt yourself.

4. It is definitely predictable and returnable, just stay calm and concentrate. Of course, when you’re doing a clear make sure you clear it to farthest as possible, so you will have more time to prepare when they smash on you, and don’t get setup.

And keep in mind that practice makes prefect. Enjoy:D

13. tinkerbella122

tinkerbella122 Regular Member

Student
    unless the serving party hits it out < if its too short/long > ...:rolleyes:

14. Nikar

Nikar Regular Member

Thanks a lot, guys!
    And Kenneth....in my country, the local term for "smash" is "smack". :):D
    I never knew the correct term until I came here. ;)

Good day and thanks!

15. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Recreation players tend to standing still or move at least as possible, just to hit the shuttle without moving their lower body. Competition badminton though requires good footwork, to excute a stroke more effectively.

I am sure if u watch competition players (i.e. ur gf) play, they tend to run all over the place, and could be quite tiring. ;)

16. Nikar

Nikar Regular Member

Yeah, that's right! I don't wanna be arrogant or anything, but as long as we can hit back the shuttle, we will look like winners and may even win the game, right?

It's better than running around everywhere and you stil lose in the end, unless it's compulsory to run in order to win.

Thanks all! :)

17. i_two_net

i_two_net Regular Member

Errr....read this first....

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10543

In order to hit a shuttle properly, you need to get to the right position first. If any of your opponents are worth their salt, they're not going to give you a nice and dandy hanging half court shuttle to 'smack' back at them. Don't believe it? Well, you'll soon find out...

18. jet28

jet28 Regular Member

nikar, you really made me laugh reading your thread. I'm new too and i can relate. the difference is i like the game and i learn to get better but you do to impress your gf which is a good thing too. being a girl, i'd give you two thumbs up for that. i just hope in time you'd get to like too, not just because your girlfriend likes it. when that comes, you wont even need BC to look for topics to talk about with your gf. Keep the questions coming...i'm learning...

19. tinkerbella122

tinkerbella122 Regular Member

Student
    Agreed :D just give the guy some time ... I'm sure he'll eventually love badminton because he truly enjoy playing the sport ... who can resist the attraction / addiction of badminton ? :p