Getting to the left rear corner

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by zehow, Jun 12, 2005.

1. zehow

zehow Regular Member

Hi. I'm a singles badminton player in high school and i need some advice on getting to the back left corner.
    I'm right-handed. I use the two-step (L-R) for the front corners and the R,L,R for the back right corner. However, the back left one is sortof a problem.
    I used to do pivot, R, L, R to get there. Then I had a coach who taught me to use the "sumo hop", taking up the right foot and using only the left foot to leap backwards towards the corner, then planting the right foot behind once touching down, then doing the shot. However, I don't get all the way to the corner when i use the sumo hop, although it seems quicker than the pivot, R, L, R technique.
    Please tell me what I should do. Are both okay? Will conditioning and strength training allow me to sumo hop fully to the back corner? What are some other techniques? I'm not familiar with any terms like chasse or things like that so please explain.
    Thank you!

2. badmad

badmad Regular Member

i'm not sure if they call it 'sumo hop' but surely there is similar thing my coach had told me... R-L-R stepping is used in the beginning, be it left or right back corners... though it's a correct thing to do but we can move faster in these places by reducing the number of steps and instead do hopping.

hopping to left back corner is little uncomfortable for obvious reasons... so it's just the practice by which u can perfect it... whenever i do shadows on the court, i do this most number of times... so just practice.

gud luck,

3. Robin (SWE)

Robin (SWE) Regular Member

Student
    If I'm not too tired or if the shot is a bit defensive then I side step out to the corner and, possibly, jump the last bit. The -ve for w this for me is that I can't generate as much power if I do this...

If i'm a bit upfront I launch myself with my right leg... and then do L R and before landing on left I whack the shuttle to kingdom gone:D ('jump'-L-R-stroke-land on L)

4. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Regular Member

Student
    hi, i am right handed and i was taught to use the R-L-R way to get to the front right corner and L-R to the top left corner, i was wondering if this style is correct.

5. winstonchan

winstonchan Regular Member

CBO (Chief Babysitting Officer)
    I'm not sure if the sumo hop is a better method but from what I read and understood, i'm sure your left leg will hurt like hell at the end of the match as you're putting your body weight onto it most of the time. Your footwork technique should be in a way such that both legs are used evenly to balance your body as well as energy being equally consumed.

6. Pasch

Pasch Regular Member

Student
    My coach calls that a "malay-stik". It's where you Start off with a normal small hop, land on left leg (dont touch the court with right leg), hop and land on left again, then hop onto you right and do the scissor thing!

7. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    it's a scissor jump isn't it..
    starting from the base, and very much depending on your flexibility, height etc you can either do a little step with the left, then pivot so that your sort of over rotated for the forehand (if ur right handed of course) with your racquet shoulder poitned at the corner your traveling to., then chasse step towards with the right leg, then take off into the scissor jump with your left leg, turnign your body through as you play the shot.

funnily enough i can generate a more poweful smash with this shot because i get more body rotation and i'm airborn, and i have to pronate the forearm more to play the shot.

and when i do it - apparently it looks really good too :)

hope this helps

Neil

8. Monster

Monster Regular Member

DEfine RLR for newbie...

Hi guys,

New player here and new member to this forum. Can anyone kindly explain what RLR means? I am guessing Right Left Right, but that will mean back to square one and not really any footwork.

And if you will allow me to misuse this original thread, I also have another question regarding smashing. I am correcting my panhandle grip to the correct and recommended pronation grip which is to grip the racket such that when I hold it, the pan is in chopping position. But I still don't know how to smash. Do I really use my wrist or a lot of forearm strength and a bit from wrist as wrist does most of the piloting and not energy? Also, when we smash, do we normally just tap it hard and not drag the cock hard and all the way down? I am asking because I normally try to smash but have the cock ended up hitting the net.

9. theasiandude88

theasiandude88 Regular Member

student YAY!!!
    i have a footwork video that my friend gave me. it is not the ibf one. just pm me, ill try to send it over via AIM. I dont really have another other chatting problem, email too small (40mb) if you guys want, i can also try doing a yousendit link or maybe that megaupload as well.

Pasch, that is the same thing my coach taught me to do. vbmenu_register("postmenu_253691", true);

10. loverush

loverush Regular Member

I do the chasse steps when going to the back corners.
    Have you tried using chasse? Its like shuffling, so your feet don't cross.
    You can either pivot initally and shuffle all the way to the corner, and do the sissor kick. This way you lead with your right leg on the shuffle.
    Or you can shuffle with your left leg first, pivot and than sissor kick.

11. theasiandude88

theasiandude88 Regular Member

student YAY!!!