Who can serve and receive first in mixed doubles?

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by Michael.ru, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Michael.ru

Michael.ru Regular Member

Dear friends,

Some days ago I was witness of hottest debates: One man said that only ladies can serve and receive the very first service of any game in mixed doubles, and the second said that any player can do it. Who is right?

2. JCanada

JCanada Regular Member

My understanding is that there is no restrictions on which player serves or receives first on a mixed team. Although the lady player usually serves first, I have seen the male player served first (and at times, I have done it myself). I had also chosen to receive first when the serving side chose to have their male player served first.

I can't give you an exact quote right now but I believe international badminton rules actually say that any player can serve or receive first in mixed.

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I believe either player can serve 1st, and seen that been done in some local tournaments.

4. pengu1ns

pengu1ns Regular Member

er...
    I dont know if its a rule but it seems to me that its just one of those things that done, in keeping with the 'ladies first' idea.
    Badminton is old fashioned, putting women at the front because they're weaker. I know some who would attack me if I said that was true :D

#4 pengu1ns, Jun 13, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2005
  5. tinkerbella122

tinkerbella122 Regular Member

Student
    No , it's not mandatory that ladies serves / receives first . But I guess a reason why they might is because it is more convenient -> the lady is already at the front side of the court , ready to take on any net returns and the guy is already at the back ( already formed the traditional front and back position )

6. msharpes

msharpes Regular Member

Anyone can

There are no rules as to whether the man or the lady has to serve/receive first. There is a general principle that the weaker player should be the one to serve/receive first and that is usually the lady. The same is true in level doubles It is also good tactics if the lady is not strong enough to play level doubles style of mixed. Watch the chinese mixed, the ladies there can play from the back and are probably better than most men, certainly better than me :crying:

7. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

Not only can either player be the first server/receiver, but within a match, at the start of subsequent games, the players can swap round.
    So the lady might be first server/receiver in game 1, the man could be first in game 2, and they could change back again if they wanted in game 3 (and games 4 and 5 during the 5x7 times)

8. gackt

gackt Regular Member

i play mixed(im the guy) and i always do and recieve the first serve. if we win first set but things didnt go as smoothly or it was pretty close, sometimes my girl will serve first on the 2nd set, just to change it up a little. but for the most part, theres a mutual understanding that im always going to start the game

9. Casper

Casper Regular Member

Student
    I play mixed a lot and yes, there is no law or restriction on who serve first or second. I generally let my partner (female player) serve first, as weaker player serve first idea. Also, it is easlier for me to remember or keep track of the score. Also, sometimes your opponent will have the guy serve first, then I will do a match up and I will recieve first.

10. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    There is no restriction on who to serve first. Weather the player is weak or not. Usually it is a mutual understanding between the partner on who would want to serve first.

11. tinkerbella122

Student
    Is there a definite advantage to the lady serving first in mix though ?

12. Neil Nicholls

no.
    It depends on the combination of the two players strengths and weaknesses.

At higher levels, yes, but at lower levels I would put serve/service return consistency as one of the top criteria for who should serve/receive first.
    e.g. If the lady has a poor serve which often gets killed, it's a waste of a serve to have the lady serve first.

13. tinkerbella122

Student
    :confused: I'm confused . If the weaker <less consistant> server shouldn't serve first , then how does that correspond with the " general principle that the weaker player should be the one to serve/receive first " ?

And why is the general principle " the weaker player should be the one to serve/receive first " ???

14. Neil Nicholls

As usual, it depends.
    I did say "one of the top criteria"

You would normally want the stronger player to cover the rear court. This is a reason for having the weaker player serve/receive first.

It depends how big the differences are between the 2 partners abililty in the various areas.

15. Von!-x

Von!-x New Member

When we play mxd or men's doubles, the weaker partner usually serves first. This will bring us to an attack position immediately.

When I play with a partner of equal ability, i usually take the first serve.

16. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I agree it generally holds true that the stronger partner should not serve first. He/she should guard the back and mount the attacks if possible.

If one partner is consistently very good at service, then he/she should serve first. A good low serve can force the receiver to lift for your strong partner to attack the return. Thus one can really win points from a good serve and this should be capitalized.

17. tinkerbella122

Student
    oh I get it ... thnx so much :D what you guys said makes sense :)

18. MING PARIS

MING PARIS Regular Member

restaurant owner
    ten days ago I saw morgensen serve first at mixed double ,for each set at issy

for european cup of interclub,in PARIS,he was so good,the danish were pretty good and lucky!!!MING