Digital Camera Recommedations

Discussion in 'Badminton Photography' started by tir168, Jun 14, 2005.

1. tir168

tir168 Regular Member

Uni Student
    ^^ title....
    Planning to get one...but not of those digi SLRs, most likely compact digi cams, like those Sony cybershots, Exlims, etc...

2. red00ecstrat

red00ecstrat Regular Member

(Full Time) Coolie. (Part Time) Photojournalist.
    sony is good looking but the picture quality isn't as good as canon!

3. Tomsk

Tomsk Regular Member

Don't get 8 megapixels! They usually use the Sony CCD chip which has not received favourable reviews. Pictures from this chip have problems with noise.

5 megapixels is just about enough for an 8" x 10" print.

3 Mega pixels is good enough for 6" x 4" or 7" x 5" prints.

Consider the batteries that the cameras use. Propreity Li-ion batteris are OK as they let the manufactures keep the camers small, but AA's mean you'll never be far from a power source.

No difference at all between the vairous memory card formats, but SD and CF tend to be cheaper. The disadvantage of SD is that they're smaller and thus easier to lose. CF are bigger physically wheich generally means bigger cameras.

Real zoom is better than digital zoom.

A built in lens cover/shield is better than a cap 'cos you can lose a cap!

Canon or Pentax are what I'd recommend.

4. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    I don't know much about camera. But I heard Zeiss lenses are one of the best. That didn't sony digital camera's picture quality?

5. tir168

tir168 Regular Member

Uni Student
    wow..! comprehensive...i used a Sony T-1 before for awhile..loaned it from my sis..=P the camera is good, but is too sensitive at night modes.. and lots of settings to setup to compensate for a better quality pic...

5.0 megapixel is what i am looking for...so recommended which canon model? pentax? nvr heard of it thou, *maybe because i nvr really bother much abt cameras until i want to buy one..hehe*

6. Marky

Marky Regular Member

Richmond, Beautiful British Columbia, Canada
    As a matter of fact, I also looking for a dig. cam that is handy for traveling purpose and that can produce decent pictures and movie clips. Importantly, it should have a hotshoe that lets me put an external big flash enabling me to shoot distance images in dark environment. For the above, I understand I have to sacrifice some zooming ability. The one in my mind is Canon PowerShot G6 which is on sale right now at C$700 locally.

Red.: how is your say on Canon G6. Thanks.

7. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Oh that reminds me, I'd like to sell my used G5. Planning to upgrade to the Rebel XT (350D) soon. Less than a year old (purchased last Aug, I believe). All manuals, box, packaging intact.

PM if interested! :D

-dave

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Keep both! REbel XT is bigger. Maybe you would not like to take it out on some occasions whereas the G5 would fit .

Marky, That G6 lens is supposed to be really good. I only got the dSLR because I wanted more flexibilty in the lenses and less delay when pressing the shutter button. (well it was a chance to do more shopping as well:D)

Tomsk, very succint and practical advice;)

#8 Cheung, Jun 15, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2005
  9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    kinda difficult to make any recommendation without any info on budget, usage, preference, etc...

from my experience, if you are using it for everyday point&shoot purposes, most cameras in the market are adequate.

if for badminton action pics, you need a DSLR.

10. Marky

Marky Regular Member

Thanks Cheung. Do you have any idea that how much a G6 is selling in Hong Kong?

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
  12. red00ecstrat

red00ecstrat Regular Member

(Full Time) Coolie. (Part Time) Photojournalist.
    marky,

to be honest, i'd never tried the canon g series b4. my only digital compact was an out-dated canon ixus v3.
    as i know the g series is the top of the line of canon compact digital camera. it's just not simply a little point and shoot camera. u can control the shutter speed and aperture by yourself just like using a dslr.
    for details. i think wood_22_chuck is the one who can give u more coz he's a g5 user.

red

#12 red00ecstrat, Jun 15, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2005
  13. Marky

Marky Regular Member

Thanks Cheung and Red. The manual feature is particularly important when using an external flash. I have a chance to touch a G5 some time ago; I have no complaint of its performance. Thus the latest version G6 (more mpix and smaller size) is my target.

14. Tomsk

Tomsk Regular Member

You may have difficulty finding a digital camera that will accept a powerful flash that isn't a DSLR.

The market for external flashes to use with point & shoots is small and p&s digicams with hotshoes are likely to accept only their own brand of flash and there won't be much choice. Also the flashes aren't likely to be that powerful compared to what's available for DSLR cameras.

IIRC the only p&s that take external flash are Fuji and Minolta with their DSLR look-a-likes.

15. Marky

Marky Regular Member

Thanks Tomsk your reminder. My idea is to shoot a dark object about 10 - 15 feet away or so. My present dig. cam is totally an useless equipment when shooting object at about such distance. I have an old timer fairly big and sophisticated flash (a National PE-388SW, no longer exists), which as long as a dig. cam can "syn" with it and the dig. cam itself has manual settings, I will be fine.

What is a big flash to me? I would regard the following a big flash.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/CanonG6/Images/flash580ex.jpg

16. Tomsk

Tomsk Regular Member

17. Marky

Marky Regular Member

What a nice 580ex you have.

Thanks for the most valuable piece of information you give me. I never realize there is the potential hazardous using an old flash on a dig.cam. Now, I will have to measure the "V" of my old flash. Hopefully, it is under 6, otherwise I need to reconsider my thinking.