Badminton and Tennis bags

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by reflex, Jun 14, 2005.

1. reflex

reflex Regular Member

are there really any big differences in the bags? ive noticed that yonex bags for badminton are a whole lot more expensive than head/wilson bags for tennis.

2. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

The only difference is you can fit badminton racquets into tennis bag while you can not put tennis racquets into badminton bag. Just get a tennis bag with thermal padding to protect your racquet from the weather...

3. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    Actually I used my badminton bag for both tennis and badminton. I should have bought a tennis bag instead - much cheaper. :(

4. reflex

reflex Regular Member

How many of you use tennis bags rather than badminton bags for badminton? got any pictures? im trying to make an informed buy. is having a tennis bag for playing badminton not as "cool" as having a yonex bag?

5. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    Another problem when I go to the gym, there are always a few badminton bags of the same color and model lying on the floor that I always worry someone may take mine by mistake. I seldomly see tennis bags there. So I guess bringing a tennis bag may prevent this kind of trouble.

6. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Another way to differenciate your bag with others if they are having the same bag as yours is to TAG your bag. Make a mark or attach something to your bag so its easily rocognised.

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If u concentrate on to be "cool", then guess u need to invest a bit more on "higher class" gears. If u concentrate on the game itself, nice looking bags might be the last thing u need to worry about. ;)

8. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    well i wish i had a yonex tennis bag but im stuck with a head one, when i walk into a gym i always get people staring at me and makes me feel uneasy but then when i get onto the court...well rather when i use to get onto the court (out of commision cause of busted vain:mad: ) i wouldent care cause i could usually show them up. But i agree having a tennis bag is cheaper and well i think more durable. well its up to you but if you find a bag that you like, the logo means nothing its how you play that tells all. heres a picture, its not yonex but im proud of it...for now.[​IMG]

9. wirre

wirre Regular Member

Why would a Yonex bag make any differance? If the bag is as good as any other, brand shouldn't be important. Although Head might not be any "big name" in badminton, as a company I wouldn't say they're to be considered second to Yonex. Take a look at their reputation in tennis and alpine-skiing and you wouldn't need to feel uneasy. If you think that your bag doesn't look as good as some Yonex models that's completely another topic.....

/ mats

10. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    I don't mind what bags others use. Infact I enjoy looking at them. Different sizes, designs... it's all good mate :)

11. ChompChomp

ChompChomp Regular Member

Actually in singapore...there r a lot of different kinds of badminton bag beside yonex...other brands like Proace, Sintec, Ashaway have pretty nice design and big in size....

12. silentlight

silentlight Regular Member

student/programmer
    I say get a bag that you like and at the same time satisfies your purpose, whether just to carry your stuff or show off or both, whatever makes you happy :D.

I use to base all my judgement on function and not form, maybe I was a hypocrite, insecure or too poor to get the good stuff, I don't know... But it can't hurt to look good. I'm still more on the functional side, mind you, but if I can find something that is aesthetically appealing as well, why the hell not? I guess it's human nature to feel good when you look good.

I know for a fact that in some places at least, the less skillful players who are overly 'stylish' or get the best racquets are mocked/scorned behind their backs whereas the good players get away with almost anything. Why is that? Is there a law stating that a player's skill should match his/her equipment? Are we just jealous?

I find it funny too that many people (myself included) say 'as long as you're good, it doesn't matter what you use', I mean, what's the relation? Should a guy/gal who comes to play badminton but carries a tennis bag be rightfully stared at if he/she sucked but is otherwise tolerable or even 'fashionable' if he/she was good?

Is the amount of respect (or even friends) we get based partly on our skill/disposition (this is true at some places I play at)? In an ideal world, no, but in our society, I see a definite yes.

So I guess the question is, do we care enough to bother? Some yes, some no and some pretend to say no.

#12 silentlight, Jun 27, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2005
  13. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Regular Member

IMHO, it's all about first impressions and expectations. You see a new player walking in wearing a nice outfit, carrying a mint 6-racquet bag, taking out a Yonex NS7K or so, you expect her/him to be a good player. So, for instance, if you see her/him warm up and s/he hits like a newbie, you'd feel disappointed or cheated because in your mind that person's failed to live up to your expectation.

It works the other way around as well. You see a new person walking in wearing a wrinkled t-shirt, cut-off jeans, beat-up trainers and carrying his kit in a grocery plastic bag or no bag at all, you'd immediately mark her/him as a plonker. Then, when you see her/him hit a few jumpsmashes like Heryanto Arbi on acid, you'd be pleasantly surprised.

Works the same way in real-life too, most obviously in job interview and first-date situations. ;)

Anyhow, going back to the bag thing, I've always thought tennis and badminton bags are mostly the same. At least, I see same models Yonex on San Diego Badminton's and Tennis Warehouse's websites. Personally, I just buy from whoever's selling it cheaper.

14. madbad

madbad Regular Member

All style no substance

I guess I'm one of the "put your money where your mouth is" guys. I had the opportunity to get the a really nice Yonex bag (forget model #) about 4 months ago but opted for a Gosen one. After comparing both I found the Gosen one had more usable space, zippered compartments and looked really sharp too. The quality is good and I'm plenty happy with it.

To top it all, the bag was bought for me. I was asked to pick whatever I wanted and I could have easily opted for the Yonex, which cost twice as much.

To all you wannabees, save your money and hire a good coach. You may look good but once you step on the court, you'll be exposed and people will be commenting under their collective breaths "all style no substance".