User Tag List

View Poll Results: where do you contact during a backhand serve?

Voters
562. You may not vote on this poll
  • near racket top

211 37.54%
  • sweet spot

328 58.36%
  • near t-joint

23 4.09%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

some shots of Jonas Rasmussen serving
    these (and Lars) were the frames closest to shuttle impact
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hit the shuttle near the top but on the edge of my racket, my coach recently told me to take the shot without moving the non racket hand. So i have to take the shot with the shuttle near the side to serve good.
    Also i was told that serving from the t-joint was to put spin on the shuttle, if you point the shuttle cork to the strings then serve it spins it, i find it really unpredictable tho, and i might be missing something that wil make it work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just from watching videos, I notice that single players server closer to sweet spot and doubles players serve near the top.
    Can anyone confirm this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Growy
    I tried using the top of the racket technique after noticing some pros, including Gail Emms, using it. In my experience, as Neil says, the margin for error seems to be favourable, but I found varying direction and weight to be more difficult. I dare say if I had persevered I might have improved, but as Gollum suggests, slicing the serve was difficult, too, which is another reason why I switched back.
    I play doubles and always use the top of the racquet technique. But to do that properly,you shouldn't slice the serve but rather hit the shuttle rather flatly using more of the wrist.

Chin

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chinek
    I play doubles and always use the top of the racquet technique. But to do that properly,you shouldn't slice the serve but rather hit the shuttle rather flatly using more of the wrist.

Chin
    If you don't slice the serve, how can you perform deceptive wide serves (to the tramlines)?

I can serve to the right without slicing, but serving wide to the left without slicing seems very difficult

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gollum
    If you don't slice the serve, how can you perform deceptive wide serves (to the tramlines)?

I can serve to the right without slicing, but serving wide to the left without slicing seems very difficult
    In a way you can serve wide to the left without slicing but the deception is not half as good. Just stand with both feet near the front service line, aim the racquet at the tramlines and just serve like a normal serve. Slicing is more deceptive but the error rate is high, the bigger the slice the higher the error rate. Serving to the left tramlines without slicing is in a way similar to serving to the right tramline, but faster and shorter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You should also keep in mind that most "slice" serves done by people are illegal, as most ppl tend to hit the feathers before the cork while doing a slice serve. Yes, it is much easier to hit the left corner using that type of serve. However, most of the time, it is done illegally.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by William86_98
    You should also keep in mind that most "slice" serves done by people are illegal, as most ppl tend to hit the feathers before the cork while doing a slice serve. Yes, it is much easier to hit the left corner using that type of serve. However, most of the time, it is done illegally.
    Yes, I agree that there is potential to perform an illegal serve; but it is not difficult to perform a slice by hitting the cork before the feathers, especially since an accurate backhand serve requires that the cork points somewhat towards the racket face. Indeed, a legal sliced serve is likely to be more accurate.

You can reduce the chance of an illegal serve by turning the shuttle outwards at the last moment. This also reduces the severity of slice needed to reach the corner, making the serve easier and therefore more accurate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my serves are between the sweetspot and the racket head but since that wasn't a choice i chose sweet spot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can take a guess here..
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ants
    You can take a guess here..
    How long did you wait for that beautiful shot? Very good job there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting idea.

I always serve on (or near) the sweetspot, and I expect most people do the same. I will have to try this suggestion

I imagine this method would make slice serves very difficult.
    I do the same, but I find if you contact closer to the racquet top it is effective in different aspects.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Pabelico
    I do the same, but I find if you contact closer to the racquet top it is effective in different aspects.
    Those aspects being? Please share

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried this out last night. There seemed to be a modest improvement in my serves In particular, they seemed to travel downwards after crossing the net, rather than continuing their upwards flight briefly.

The difference was slight, however, so it may not be related. I'll continue to use it, to test.
    I share the same aspects as Gollum. In the past, I tried this without paying much attention to it. Did anyone find that making contact near the racket top is more beneficial? I still prefer making contact at the sweet spot. That method feels more comfortable on all types of serves.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I notice that, when I try to make a very tight low serve, I tend to drag the racket upward *slightly* as I serve. This has the effect of hitting with the top part of the strings, as we have been discussing.

For flick, drive and wide slice serves, I keep to the sweetspot.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A little late to the party but hitting the shuttle near the top of the racket is very interesting. I usually hit on the sweetspot. I'm going to try hitting the top for a few weeks and see how it goes, thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

surprisingly no one aware of how Tony Gunawan serves. he is serving close to the T-Joint (based on the 2000 Olympics MDF). can someone explain y?

i have tried his style of serve and notice that the errors r narrowed but it is hard to serve high (need harder hit since the length is shorter from the handle). correct me if i am wrong.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast