User Tag List

View Poll Results: where do you contact during a backhand serve?

Voters
572. You may not vote on this poll
  • near racket top

    214 37.41%
  • sweet spot

    333 58.22%
  • near t-joint

    25 4.37%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 52 to 68 of 88
  1. #52
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    vancouver,canada
    Posts
    1,663
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I also contact the shuttle at the first 4 strings down from the top. As Adrian told me there's more control.

  2. #53
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Slovenia
    Posts
    143
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeHarisson View Post
    Finally someone respond to me. ThanX.
    About your question, yes sort of because I don't know exactly the sweer spot.
    Be careful when using the term sweet spot. This is a little bit confusing. I also thought about the sweet spot being an area, but it isn't! See http://www.racquetresearch.com/

  3. #54
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    U dont need 2 know!!(B'ham UK)
    Posts
    31
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    sweet spot!!! thats works perfect 99% of the time!!

  4. #55
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Coquitlam, Canada
    Posts
    26
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Interesting idea...I will try this out as well.

  5. #56
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    452
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    A few days ago, after I read this topic, I began to analyse where I hit the shuttle. It seems to be just behind the fouth cross, between fourth and fifth. Usually, when training and refining the serve (drills), I do around 100 serves, and only 7 to 9 of them hit the net or land in front of the serve-line. So I'd say the top racket-head serve works for me very well. I only still need to work on the slice. Anyone got a link? Searched forums for it but found nothing.

  6. #57
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    U dont need 2 know!!(B'ham UK)
    Posts
    31
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    one thing to remember on this serve....dont hit the shuttle too close or its gn be too tense n chances of ruining your strings are higher! sweet-spot is really the best to use .... if u slice the shuttle ...sweet-spot is perfect!

  7. #58
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Taipei & France
    Posts
    29
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Hi all, yes it is very interesting! Thx, I will also try this!
    But I've been always taught that the best is to keep the racquet as high as possible (at the limit of the rules of course) to get the best trajectory... hitting the shuttle at the top of the racquet would make the impact at a lower height,right? so this should also be taken into consideration?

  8. #59
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Vancouver BC - Kirkland WA
    Posts
    654
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Olbozz View Post
    .....hitting the shuttle at the top of the racquet would make the impact at a lower height,right? so this should also be taken into consideration?
    That's not completely correct actually. The rules state that the impact point has to be below the waist, hence you can hit it at the top of the racquet (with most of the head above your waist) and it will still be a legal serve.

    As long as the impact point is discernibly below the legal height, you're good.

  9. #60
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Taipei & France
    Posts
    29
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 604badder View Post
    That's not completely correct actually. The rules state that the impact point has to be below the waist, hence you can hit it at the top of the racquet (with most of the head above your waist) and it will still be a legal serve.

    As long as the impact point is discernibly below the legal height, you're good.
    oh thanks for this remark! I didn't know that it's the impact point that count!

  10. #61
    Regular Member jhirata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Wellington, New Zealand, New Z
    Posts
    2,488
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I hit near the racquet top, from a low position. Works the best for me, though my coach warned me to serve from a higher position and hold the racquet near the cone, but I tend to hold the racquet near the butt-cap. I think that as long as it works well for me and it isnt considered a fault, I should keep doing that.

  11. #62
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur
    Posts
    1,613
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
    Interesting idea.

    I always serve on (or near) the sweetspot, and I expect most people do the same. I will have to try this suggestion

    I imagine this method would make slice serves very difficult.
    I agree with Gollum that majority will be the sweet spot.
    I would said its best to get the basic right, sweet spot first and then try other options to improve. I believe many advance players will hit nearer on the top. (my opinion). Contact on racket head is a very good skill. Fully agree here.

    A trick that i have expriment is, hitting the bird on the 9 o'clock of the racket face (backhand serve for right hander). Adding a light clockwise turn will force the bird to go further with the same service strenght. This advantage can be use for serving to the further front corners. (normally when we serve to to the far front corner we will have to use more strenght). Opponent will have less clue that you are serving to the far front corners.
    Also using the same concept, one can hit the bird to the center using very little motion. With less then a normal serve motion just add a little twist on the racket (just like turnning a screwdrive). It work for me.
    Critics are welcome for comments

  12. #63
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    GTA
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
    When you smash, you are (usually) trying to produce the maximum power you can. If you hit the shuttle slightly above the sweetspot, then your arm/racket will be a longer lever. Longer lever = more power and steeper angle.

    But the strings will not transmit energy as efficiently, because you are not hitting in the centre.

    So it is a balance.
    Hmmm, if the place to hit for the optimum power is not as efficient with energy transfer as the sweet spot, why dont they modify the frame to move the sweet spot upwards to give more leverage and energy transfer efficiency?

  13. #64
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Edmonton, Canada
    Posts
    181
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
    I agree with Gollum that majority will be the sweet spot.
    I would said its best to get the basic right, sweet spot first and then try other options to improve. I believe many advance players will hit nearer on the top. (my opinion). Contact on racket head is a very good skill. Fully agree here.

    A trick that i have expriment is, hitting the bird on the 9 o'clock of the racket face (backhand serve for right hander). Adding a light clockwise turn will force the bird to go further with the same service strenght. This advantage can be use for serving to the further front corners. (normally when we serve to to the far front corner we will have to use more strenght). Opponent will have less clue that you are serving to the far front corners.
    Also using the same concept, one can hit the bird to the center using very little motion. With less then a normal serve motion just add a little twist on the racket (just like turnning a screwdrive). It work for me.
    Critics are welcome for comments
    I serve like that too, maybe around 9-10 o'clock position

  14. #65
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Posts
    3,511
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    They tried... it's called an Isometric head frame.

    Quote Originally Posted by Im Dehydrated View Post
    Hmmm, if the place to hit for the optimum power is not as efficient with energy transfer as the sweet spot, why dont they modify the frame to move the sweet spot upwards to give more leverage and energy transfer efficiency?

  15. #66
    Regular Member chris-ccc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    26,817
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Arrow The pros and cons of the ways we do a Badminton Service

    .
    For the Service, making the contact point away from the sweet spot will give the server a more sensitive feel 'at the point of impact'. But we have to state/comment whether we are doing the 'Low Service' or the 'Flick Service'.

    Also, if we are to do the 'Low Service', we have to comment on how the Service is performed. Some of us hit the shuttlecock, some push the shuttlecock.

    For the 'Low Service', we should get more accuracy when we push the shuttlecock, IMHO.

    However, we must learn to not disclose our Service... whether Low/Flick/To which part of the receiver's court.

    As I have said in various threads before, it is not easy to put down in words how a Badminton stroke can be played. We need a demonstration of it.

    And we need experienced players/coaches who have studied/analysed a stroke to explain all the pros and cons of what/how each stroke/action may produce.


    .

  16. #67
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    6,527
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I have been trying to serve doubles backhand serve with a reverse slice and with the shuttle cork/base at 90% to the stringbed. The slice is from right to left instead of from left to right. If done well the serve wobbles and is almost unplayable; it also drops onto the floor faster. But it is a very difficult serve to do it well and the percentage of it going wrong is high.

  17. #68
    Regular Member chris-ccc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    26,817
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Exclamation There are also pros and cons for being a right-handed or left-handed player

    Quote Originally Posted by taneepak View Post

    I have been trying to serve doubles backhand serve with a reverse slice and with the shuttle cork/base at 90% to the stringbed. The slice is from right to left instead of from left to right. If done well the serve wobbles and is almost unplayable; it also drops onto the floor faster. But it is a very difficult serve to do it well and the percentage of it going wrong is high.

    .
    taneepak ... Again, we have come to another stroke which is easier to be done for a left-handed player... the Service that you have just described.

    Many comments have been made about the 'Sliced Dropshot' performed by a left-handed player.

    Yes, there are also pros and cons for being a right-handed or a left-handed player as well.
    .
    Last edited by chris-ccc; 09-06-2008 at 11:34 AM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Contact Point
    By sarath_031 in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 3
    : 04-08-2012, 12:04 AM
  2. Backhand Serve or Forehand Serve?
    By pyaarawala in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 69
    : 01-15-2009, 12:09 AM
  3. Contact point on racquet head during drop shot
    By vip_m in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 35
    : 09-09-2008, 10:26 AM
  4. Smash contact point help please.
    By Boney in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 7
    : 09-21-2006, 12:45 PM
  5. Backhand serve
    By Sara in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 6
    : 04-17-2002, 07:54 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •