User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 17 of 22
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    142
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Adopting and Training a Panhandle Grip

    Hey everyone,
    I'm a male player who focuses on footwork, good technique, and accuracy. My playstyle is attacking.
    Recently, I decided to switch to a panhandle grip, for singles. It seemed too difficult for doubles. The timing is different for smashes, drops, and the accuracy is somewhat different for most shots.
    I have a tournament coming up in a few weeks (low level), but I haven't been training recently, so I am starting to train for it. I intend to stick with the panhandle grip for singles because in person, my style is very women's singles-ish.
    Anyway, I guess this could be a general question for switching grips, but how would you train for this tournament? I was thinking of mostly shot repetition in the beginning, with some footwork and footwork/feeding drills, and getting closer to the tournament, probably more footwork and footwork/feeding drills. What do you all think?
    Last edited by PinkDawg; 07-16-2014 at 03:37 PM. Reason: panhandle, training,

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    manchester
    Posts
    163
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PinkDawg View Post
    Hey everyone,
    I'm a male player who focuses on footwork, good technique, and accuracy. My playstyle is attacking.
    Recently, I decided to switch to a panhandle grip, for singles. It seemed too difficult for doubles. The timing is different for smashes, drops, and the accuracy is somewhat different for most shots.
    I have a tournament coming up in a few weeks (low level), but I haven't been training recently, so I am starting to train for it. I intend to stick with the panhandle grip for singles because in person, my style is very women's singles-ish.
    Anyway, I guess this could be a general question for switching grips, but how would you train for this tournament? I was thinking of mostly shot repetition in the beginning, with some footwork and footwork/feeding drills, and getting closer to the tournament, probably more footwork and footwork/feeding drills. What do you all think?
    Switching to panhandle for singles a big no no IMO, it will limit you. You'll have to get behind the shuttle on every shot. Your clears and smashes will be weaker and the pressure on covering the court will be a lot more. Advanced women players don't use panhandle anymore than men do. In fact male players being more stronger can get away with using panhandle better than women.

  3. #3
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    13,180
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    All grips have advantages and disadvantages depending on the gameplay situation at that point.

    Can you clarify when do you intend to use the panhandle grip?

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,085
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    You can change your grip in a day if you're highly dedicated to it. What I did was do clears for like ever for almost 8 hours of course some breaks. This was done have court.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    142
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I intend to use only the panhandle grip when playing singles, is what I mean. I think my playing style matches those who use the panhandle grip- but I can't be sure, so I guess I'm just trying it out, but I think it'll be a good change for me.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,085
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PinkDawg View Post
    I intend to use only the panhandle grip when playing singles, is what I mean. I think my playing style matches those who use the panhandle grip- but I can't be sure, so I guess I'm just trying it out, but I think it'll be a good change for me.
    Using pan handle is limiting your potential in my opinion. When I use panhandle I could not learn proper strokes or anything. The habit could come to your doubles play as well but good luck!

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    323
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PinkDawg View Post
    I'm a male player who focuses on footwork, good technique, and accuracy. Recently, I decided to switch to a panhandle grip
    Does not compute

  8. #8
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    13,180
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    I know one person who uses a panhandle grip for many of his shots. He plays quite well but he has some obvious weaknesses. Hitting to his body and his backhand forecourt area creates a lot of opportunities. He doesn't change his grip during the course of a rally.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    143
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Not sure why you think switching to panhandle grip would be easier in singles?

    Like all who replied here, I am not for using the panhandle grip for all shots. Out of curiosity, I tried the panhandle grip for all shots and have to say it's a bad experience overall. It isn't exactly very effective except for flat shots.

    You may want to find a sparring partner or your coach and spar with him using the panhandle grip throughout to experience for yourself and decide if it's worth pursuing this idea.

    Changing your grip throughout your games is much more ideal than being fixed to a specific one.

  10. #10
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    9,136
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Why the heck would someone want to stick with one single grip during a game? Is the hand stuck onto the grip with super glue or something?

    And especially in singles, there's so much time to switch grips if need be. I just don't comprehend.

    As Cheung says, all your opponent has to do is hit onto your backhand side all day to win easy points. And if I were your opponent, all I would do is hit clears to tire you out.
    Last edited by visor; 07-17-2014 at 02:42 AM.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,778
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    bit of a deja vu feeling...

    of course adopting a full on pan handle grip for all/many shots is ridiculous. Have fun at your tournaments, though!

  12. #12
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    9,136
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    You mean the Super Doom feeling... ;p

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    142
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Maybe I should have thought about this longer :P

    I suppose I haven't observed the pro-players close enough. When WYH or Zhang Beiwen play, what are the situations they use the panhandle grip in vs. the situations they don't use the panhandle grip? I noticed dropshots are more difficult.

  14. #14
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    13,180
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Wang Shi Xian.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    142
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    She plays with it too?
    I apologize; WYH is my favorite and I watch her far more than WSX

    Of the two, WYH is my favorite because I can see that she challenges Li Xuerui's style. It must be quite frightening when Wang Yihan is in good form.

  16. #16
    New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Panhandle for forehand kills, maybe some forehand drives if you are taking the shuttle well ahead of you, and backhand clears when the shuttle has passed behind you. Certainly using it for every shot is something only beginners would do as they don't know any better.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    174
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    I know one person who uses a panhandle grip for many of his shots. He plays quite well but he has some obvious weaknesses. Hitting to his body and his backhand forecourt area creates a lot of opportunities. He doesn't change his grip during the course of a rally.
    i know 2 guys who play very very awkward, but still are better than me
    i think they play panhandle, not sure tho, they dont move well too, but they play fast drives alot

    i have a lot of respect for them being above my skilllevel with such horrible looking technique

    do you have more tipps how to make their life hard than those you already mentioned?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •