Tennis Or Badminton?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by asphaminer, Jun 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. asphaminer

asphaminer Regular Member

Hey guys, i've been pondering over this for a long time, and finally decided to ask you guys this question...Which can be Faster? A Smashed Shuttlecock or A Smashed Tennis Ball? :confused:

2. Ralph Pabelico

Ralph Pabelico Regular Member

To my knowledge, a shuttlecock can travel faster. I am not completely sure and someone else could probably go into more detail. Try doing a search also and I hope to be of some assistance.

3. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

Librarian, RacketsportsMontreal.ca owner
  4. pengu1ns

pengu1ns Regular Member

er...
    I heard there was a new shuttle speed record made that was much quicker than the tennis ball record. About 360 kph was it?

5. tinkerbella122

tinkerbella122 Regular Member

Student
  6. pengu1ns

pengu1ns Regular Member

er...
    Not to mention the best one eh? :cool:

7. tinkerbella122

Student
    Ofcourse !!
    p.s grrr ... you took the words right out of my mouth ... :p

8. legendarycroc

legendarycroc Regular Member

school
    coming from me, its probably biased cuz im asian, i think badminton is better. Yet a lot of friends who are better tennis players say that tennis is better. SO you can't really decide which one is soul-ly better just by personal opnion, usually you're going to choose the sport you're better at, and Im sure at least 80% of the members in this forum will choose badminton, just becuase this is a badminton forum.

9. pengu1ns

pengu1ns Regular Member

er...
    I try not to be biased just because I play badminton, I just do not get why people like tennis. Simply because you simply seem to 'hit the ball as hard as you can that-a-way all the time and there is no variety in shots.
    Anyone who calls me biased is a fool. A biased one.

10. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Shuttlecock travels faster if u compare the fraction of a section right after contact. However, due to the weight, shuttlecock lost its speed way faster than tennis ball (due to air resistance). Of course, since badminton court is smaller than tennis ones, therefore, it still can reach to opponent's side very fast. ;)

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    no doubt badminton is way more demanding than tennis. Tennis is just a service and power game. If u perfected your serve, u r guarantee to win 50% of games. Think of it, one good stroke can own 50% of the games, and u get at least 2 tries to perform such stroke per point to do it, under NO pressure.

guys wonder why more girls playing tennis than badminton, I think i got the answer, from the lady point of view.

I know this couple who once played both badminton and tennis. One day i ask this guy, how come i dont see your wife playing badminton anymore, like being absence for over 1.5 years.

He said, 'oh, she's playing tennis now *sigh*'
    I said, 'why, isn't it badminton is more fun ?'
    he said, 'yes, she really like badminton but she got discouraged because of constant bombardment of smashing shuttles when playing XD, and not able to improve her power. :crying:
    I said, 'how so? isnt it badminton easier, or a softer sport?'
    he explain, 'no, badminton is harder. After many year of playing, she still couldn't consistently do (forehand) back to back court clear, her backhand shots are considered gifts by the opponents, also too much stop and go motion. You see, in tennis, any beginner can do a forehand shot from back to back court, it take less effort to maintain rallies. In badminton, no beginner he knows can do a decent deep clear, it take more power to do a basic run of the mill badminton clear shot'
    I call him up, "hey, how come you haven't show up for badminton lately?
    He said, 'wifey want him to play tennis with her :crying:
    When i reflects upon above conversation, i can't dispute it.

now u know why tennis is more popular than badminton (for now)
    coz it is easier for the ladies ->
    and guys 'tend' to be around where there are more ladies :eek:
    a double whammy :eek:

for those lady badminton players out there, i applause u for sticking around :D

#11 cooler, Jun 21, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2005
  12. tinkerbella122

Student
    :D thnx ~! But badminton is as challenging for women as it is for men so you guys deserve just as much recognition ;) .

... I know this guy who played tennis and after two days in my club , he quit :( . Reasons ? -> the speed of badminton and the amount of physical ( footwork ) badminton demands .

13. Benasp

Benasp Regular Member

in my humble opinion, if i could chose to be the best in the world in one of these sport i'll take tennis, not only for the popularity but it's a harder game to master and more technical, it's also require more mental toughness.

oH my god i'm gonna get hated to disavow badminton but i love both over every sport and i'm a much better Badminton player than i will ever get in tennis cause it's a so hard game, In tennis every good shot you made is so rewarding, it need so much control and focus

BUT, badminton has his great side,

faster, fun in double ( tennis is boring in double), need more fitness, you can hit every shot has hard has you want (can alway play very offensive), easier to play for beginner.

14. Benasp

Benasp Regular Member

i posted before reading,

lots of you guy probally never played tennis to say such dumb thing.

i don't wanna challenge you but our opinion are totally opposite maybe we can deal a compromise :)

1- tennis seem unidimentional for the one who never played, it's like pong the most basic video game. but you guy never played cause you don't know how hard it is to make a tennis forehand you can't hit hard, it will go long for sure, you need to put spin in the ball, yon need a perfect control of your body movement.

You probally never played cause you don't know how hard it is to change the direction of the ball. that why we see top player making boring coner to coner rally all day long. Its not like in badminton, only the path of the racquet determine the direction of the shuttle. In tennis it's like pool, the angle depent on : where the ball from, you racquet angle. Very hard to do when you are on pressure cause you also have to deal with spin and pace of the ball.

Cause a tennis bal is not a shuttlecock, you feel it on the racquet, i never heard a player say, i can't return his smash they are so heavy. In there some ball that feel like hitting bowling ball.

please play before say all these non-sense. And who know tennis will maybe help in you badminton, for me it helped a lot, when you smash tennis ball a shuttlecock seem like a joke to smash.

15. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced

I also play both tennis and badminton. Tennis is definitely much more difficult. When you standing at the net volleying a 100mph shot definitely is not any easy task comparing to returning a 200mph badminton smash. I can think of a famous ex-nba player also doing radio talk show in the bay area. During the world cup 2 years ago, he said soccer is just a bunch of guys kicking the ball back and forth which is stupid and boring.... I myself played both soccer and basketball in high school, and soccer is definitely not an easy game. What can I say... Probably to compare 2 sports, one should really try them out..

#15 Qidong, Jun 21, 2005
  16. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Yes, I have played tennis before, since I was a kid. Courts are free and quite easy to find. I own 3 tennis rackets, Dunlop wood one, Head aluminum one, Wilson one piece graphite one. I played on and off all through this racket cycle. The testimony I gave is real, from an avid badminton & tennis (lady) player.

You said “1- tennis seem unidimentional for the one who never played, it's like pong the most basic video game. but you guy never played cause you don't know how hard it is to make a tennis forehand you can't hit hard, it will go long for sure, you need to put spin in the ball, yon need a perfect control of your body movement” and "when you smash tennis ball a shuttlecock seem like a joke to smash”. This prove tennis is one dimensional – just need to learn how to have a big cannon-like forehand then you’re made, u dominate in service, and u will dominate in rallies. It’s about pounding the ball hardest u can back to your opponent. In badminton, having a giant smash doesn’t make u close being a good player. The reason why I reduce tennis activity year after year IS BECAUSE it’s too one dimensional. It’s also why I don’t play/watch squash too(plus that many points are lost/won/debated due to interference call) Tennis double, *rolleyes*, can I say ‘pong’? Even in video pong, I can get more bounces than tennis doubles. Try counting number of shots in tennis doubles, 2 to 4 is the average and that including the serve.

You said “Cause a tennis bal is not a shuttlecock, you feel it on the racquet, i never heard a player say, i can't return his smash they are so heavy. In there some ball that feel like hitting bowling ball.” Thanks but I don’t like having that much feel on my racket. I don’t want aching (arm)joints nor tennis elbow. In badminton, the body stress is more focused on the lower extremities, spreading the load onto 3 limbs: racket arm, 2 legs.

You said “Very hard to do when you are on pressure cause you also have to deal with spin and pace of the ball.” In badminton, we have to deal with slicing shuttles which the velocity can drop like a rock, or return a tumbling shuttle.

I not saying tennis is not challenging nor not difficult, just more 1 dimensional – all concentrated in the forehand stroke, yes it’s a hard to master this one stroke. In badminton, there are more variety of shots to master, more footwork to master. In, MS, i see tennis is about lobbing missiles between sides, in badminton, it involve more strategies, tactics, finesee AND power, like a physical chess game - killing opponents with pawns, knight, bishop, rook and queen.

Only thing tennis help badminton player is warming up with a tennis racket :p

#16 cooler, Jun 21, 2005
  17. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Tennis has as much variety as badminton in strokeplay. It's not about 2 players blasting away as hard as they can, as has been alluded to in this thread. It's just different that's all. Like comparing apples and oranges. It's difficult for those not very experienced at one sport to know the intricacies of the other. Ask your basic rec. tennis player and he'll say his game is better. Why? Probably he doesn't know that much about badminton. Sure he may have played badminton, but to what level? It's easy to slag a sport you don't play that often from your own limited experience. But that's hardly representative of what that sport is really about.

My own experience? I love both tennis and badminton. Each present different challenges and takes different skills to master. I've played tennis for many years and at some point, at a decent level. I would say I know what I'm talking about. So for those who think they know what tennis is about, find out what tennis REALLY is about before passing comment.

However, I digress. The original question is which game is faster. From a spectator point of view, definitely badminton. Ironically, to the detriment of the TV viewing public. At times, it's too fast to follow (depending on the TV angle).

Hope I haven't rubbed anyone the wrong way with my comments. :)

18. asphaminer

WAHAHA thanks for the info guys, i have been trying to prove this to my friends for a long time. i believe badminton smashes are faster than tennis smashes. finally something that would shut my friend up :D my friend gave some not-so-smart reasoning that said the weight of the tennis ball enhances the shuttle speed. This is rubbish right?

19. pengu1ns

pengu1ns Regular Member

er...
    I believe each to his own with regards to playing tennis, its like people liking some foods others dont. What I was getting at was how people seem to like it more than badminton, which I dont get, because it is so very boring to watch. plus, if I wanted to hear that kind of groaning Id turn on Channel 5.
    Hey if you want another reason, at least England is romotely decent at badminton. SILVER!!

20. asphaminer

Quite true, But it the speed of the fastest badminton smash is recorded and IT IS faster than the fastest tennis smash. This is evident enough since the question was which smash could go fastest

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.