Replacing Old Grommets

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Shiryu, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Shiryu

Shiryu Regular Member

Nerd
    Hello, I would like to get some tips on removing old grommets from racquets. They tend to crack and fall apart when I try. I even had pieces that fell inside the racquet frame in the process, and that's really bad. Thanks in advance for your comments. :)

2. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Regular Member

I usually just push it out a little from inside the frame and pull it out with a needle-nose plier. Never had a problem with the grommet breaking up.

You can also buy a special "de-grommeting" tool:

http://www.eagnas.com/lilylee/tools.html

It ought to do the trick for you, though I've never tried it myself.

HTH.

3. Shiryu

Shiryu Regular Member

Nerd
    Good thought about the tool. =)

I had trouble mostly with the enlarged grommets that are shared by two strings. I think the original grommets that comes with the racquet are particilarly harder to replace.:confused:

4. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Regular Member

I just had a quick browse through the USRSA website for tips for removing grommets. One of the tips they mention is to use a heat gun or a blow dryer to warm up the plastic and soften it up. That may make it more pliable and easier to work through the frame. (This method also works for grommets installation.)

If you've problems removing those that have flared ends (e.g., shared holes grommets), you can use a razor blade to trim the flared end flush with the frame---being careful not to scratch the frame, of course---and then you can just push the grommet out. In theory, anyway. :)

HTH.

5. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Hair drier is OK. I would stay away from the heat gun on a badminton racquet. I would like to know the reason to remove the old gromments. Is is cracked or broken already? If so you need to replace it with a new one. I only replace them when they are cracked, splited or damaged already. If nothing is wrong with it, why replace it and ask for more trouble?

6. registered

registered Regular Member

Royal Bum
    When i replace my grommets I use my Xuron nice pliers to yank the grommets out. But sometimes the grommets are very stubborn. So what i tend to do is get a pin and i flare as much as i can of the grommet in the inside or sometimes i don't even use a pin and i found in my house i had a peice of metal tube that is perfectly the size of the grommets and i just lightly tap out the grommet with my side cutters as a hammer. Works great. But make sure the tube is straight and you don't over tap it.