Chong Wei wins again

Discussion in '2005 Tournaments' started by ants, Jun 20, 2005.

1. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    TheStar
    KUANTAN: Top seed Lee Chong Wei maintained his unbeaten record in the domestic circuit when he defeated veteran Mohd Roslin Hashim in straight games in the men's singles final of the Pahang Open at the Sukpa Indoor Stadium here last night.

The three-time national champion was far from his best but he bounced back from a 0-6 deficit in the first game to down Roslin 15-13, 15-10. It was the 22-year-old Chong Wei's eighth local title since he captured the 2002 National Grand Prix Finals title in December, 2002.

Chong Wei was dejected with his performance despite the win.

“Out of all the finals in the local tournaments, this is my worst performance. Some of my shots were inaccurate and I made a lot of mistakes. It affected my confidence.

“Luckily, I managed to win despite playing below par. I just have to be better prepared next time,” said Chong Wei, whose next assignment is the friendly tie against Denmark in Alor Star on June 24.

Roslin, on the other hand, was pleased to give Chong Wei a run for his money in the final.

“I am glad that I gave him (Chong Wei) a fight. He was just a little faster at the crucial stages. I still need to improve my game before playing in the Singapore Open (June 27-July 3) and Malaysian Open (July 5-10),” said Roslin.

In the men’s doubles, Ong Soon Hock-Tan Bin Shen finally won their first-ever local title. Soon Hock-Bin Shen took 45 minutes to tame Wong Choong Hann-Chew Choon Eng 15-7, 15-3 in the final.

Said the 20-year-old Soon Hock: “We reached two finals last year (Selangor and Malacca Opens) but lost on both occasions to Chan Chong Ming-Koo Kien Keat. It is good to finally win our first title here.”

Meanwhile, Chin Eei Hui clinched a double on her 23rd birthday. She won the women’s doubles with Wong Pei Tty and mixed doubles with Mohd Zakry Abdul Latif.