Can Fake Rackets Help You?

Discussion in 'Identify Fake Racket (Price/Source/Serial/Photos a' started by Will Ko, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Will Ko

Will Ko Regular Member

Part-time Student, Full-time Badminton wanabee
    Hi ppl, when playing badminton with my friends for the past year, my friend decided to buy a racket from ebay to find it was a fake, yonex at700 to be precise, well when he got it ,his performance improved by a long shot, and when i had a go;the power was just amazing, the shaft seemed like it had no flex at all, SUPER SUPER STIFF ( due to material maybe?), and was quite the same weight as my 3u ti-10, the string is terrible, the grommet are all damaged and everytime a rally ended, he would have to straighten his strings. Not coz i'm a rival to him or very competitive:D but i was thinking is this legal? , and has anybody else with a fake racket experienced this?

i would like to hear what you got to say

2. raptorman

raptorman Regular Member

If you're talking about selling fake rackets, the answer is definately no. If you're talking about using a fake racket in a badminton game, I'd say yes from badminton point of view, but still no from legal point of view.

#2 raptorman, Jun 20, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2005
  3. Will Ko

Will Ko Regular Member

lol i was referring to using it in a game, because there are restrictions with frame size i think:confused: thanks, also like to hear what you think about the shaft stiffness ;)

4. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

How did you tell it is a fake? Is really a fake or is it a clone? Some clones are as good as the same level yy model. Yes, you might be lucky by getting one of the fake which is a good clone with yy paint job. However, most of the fake are jsut fake, not good at all. Often time, they have defect too. IMO, it is OK to buy clone, do not buy a fake if you know it is a fake.

The shaft stiffness might be the reason it helped you. ie, time to get a new racquet with stiffer shaft. I will suggest you to borrow other people's racquet with stiff shaft and see if you get the same improvements. You don't need to get a Yonex to get a racquet that fit you.

5. Will Ko

Will Ko Regular Member

lol it is a fake becoz the ebay seller stated in description it has cs cap which armortecs do but it sed on the racket c.a cap,also the grommets were damaged and lookesd like cut plastic, also it is meant to be the real thing as the item listing was a 'authentic' yonex armortec 700 racket. most of the rackets attributes are wrong if u comapre to BlueJeffs guide to spotting fakes, so it is definately a fake, he has used the racket for about 2 months now, maybe the side effects of a fake havent sunk in since its quite a good quality and looked unused?:confused:

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    there is no rules in badminton that said a player cannot use a "fake" racket. as long as the racket is of the legal specifications, it can be used.

if he plays better with it, then that means that it just happens the specs of the fake racket he got fits his level and style of play. good luck finding an identical one though. ;)

7. Shiryu

Shiryu Regular Member

Nerd
    yeah, fakes are ok as long as they don't fall apart when you are doing hard smashes. It gets quite dangerous when that happens. so be careful.

8. Will Ko

Will Ko Regular Member

thanks alot ppl for your thoughts and remarks,i'l ask my friend to borrow me it so i can see what the balance point is, since it's quite stiff il see weather if its head-light/heavy or even then compare to similar rackets availble now.

Kind Regards, Will ;)

9. Shuttlebugs

Shuttlebugs Regular Member

There seems to be a lot of confusion with the meaning of 'fake' as oppose to 'clone'. May be worthwhile putting clear definitions on the two words for the purpose of this discussion. I will start with the following:

Fake: a non-genuine racket that tries to imitate the original in every possible way right down to markings and paint pattern/color.

Clone: a racket that physically and dimensionally resembles an original brand manufacturer's racket BUT has its own branding.

10. winstonchan

winstonchan Regular Member

CBO (Chief Babysitting Officer)
    I think some clones do also imitate the original in every possible way too including model names.

But, FAKEs don't have quality control. They get cheap raw material from the bin and made rackets out of backyard factories. CLONEs are made by proper manufacturers, many of them OEMs, and do have good quality control.

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    ANY badminton racquet is OK (fake or not fake) so long as it doesn't fall apart and fits the legal specifications

12. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    1. If u mean help to burn ur $$$, yeah, it could be fast. :cool:

2. The worst problem for fake is, there's absolute no standard, which means most are crap. Even if u hit the jack pot, and end up with a "not too bad" one, u will have almost 0 chance to get another identical one to maintain ur game style.

13. Shiryu

Shiryu Regular Member

Nerd
    true, but I would argue that fakes has better chance to suffer structural defects than authentic racquets. Mainly due to lack of quality control and stress testing. To justifiy the low cost, they have to cut corners somewhere.

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    No arguments there :p