User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wirre
    Holy crap, are you going to charge $15 CAN and include shuttles in that fee?
    In Sweden the regular entry fee for this kind of tournament is 150SEK , about $20 USD, and the players are expected to bring the shuttles (national tournament approved grade = equal/better than AS-30) themselves. Personally I find that system to work quite well, the organizers don't have to hustle with any shuttles (= no economic cost), but it's nice if you offer shuttles on sale.
    It's a habit for the canadian tournament hosts to supply shuttles. And 15$/event is even slightly higher than average price for a recreational tournament, given that "formal" regional tournaments I attend cost 9$ for two events if the player is already a member. Then again, these "formal" ones are very well sponsored by specialty shops.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jinryu
    ... what does the 'Flight ABCD' thing mean? ...
    Drop Flight ABCD means, initially everybody starts as Flight-A

After Round 1
    -winners stays as Flight-A
    -losers goes to Flight-C

Round 2
    -Flight-A winners stays as Flight-A
    -Flight-A losers goes to Flight-B
    -Flight-C winners stays as Flight-C
    -Flight-C losers goes to Flight-D

Round 3 & any following Rounds
    -(all respective Flights) winners continues on their flight level, losers are eliminated

This style of Drop-Flight guarantees players a minimum of 3 matches, minimum 6 games.

If you don't know the calibre of the players, you can do a modified round robin with knockout, this will also eliminated you to do the draw & seeding.

Round 1
    Players are randomly placed in groups of 4
    Within each group, players play round robin of one game to 15 (no setting). Players sum their individual scores of the 3 games, highest goes to Group-A, next is Group-B, etc.

Round 2
    All Group-A players randomly draw for their partners and play a standard single knockout, games to 15 best out of 3 games, same for Group-B,C,D

or another Round 2
    All Group-A players are randomly placed in groups of 4. Play round-robin to one game to 21, players sum their individual scores, top 2 (or the 1) from the set of 4 continues to Round 3, losers go home

Round 3
    Randomly draws for partner, play to 15 points best out of 3 games

Cheers!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm... so many things to consider!

Okay, how does this sound as a battle plan?:

I am projecting to get at least 50 people (25 pairs), though I am aiming to get 100 people (50 pairs). Games will begin at 2pm and are projected to end at 10pm. We reserve the right to refuse entry if space capacity is exceeded!

We will have four courts, one will be for mixed doubles, one for mens doubles, one for womens doubles. The fourth court will be variable, and will be used to try and get all three events to finish at the same time so that we can showcase all the final matches.

• Entry is 15$ for one event, 20$ for two events. You can pay when you arrive at the tournament.
    • If you come to our club, pay and play for a one night drop in and pre-pay for the tournament, or if you're a member of the RsM club and pre-pay, it's 10$ for a single event entry, though for two events, it's still 20$.
    • All signups must be received via telephone, mail, email, or in person at least 2 days prior to the tournament. You CANNOT SIGN UP on the tournament grounds on the day of the tournament.

Matches are played round robin. Players are guarenteed at least 3 games.
    • Situation A-- If there are up to 5 teams in a category, players will play each other team in the category for one game to 21 points.
    • Situation B-- If there are 6-7 teams in a category, players will play each other team for one game for 15 points.
    • Situation C-- If there are 8 or more teams in a category, the teams will be divided into separate pools and be treated as situation A or B.
    Each game has a maximum warmup of 2 minutes, and a maximum total court time of 20 minutes (including warmups, idle time and actual play). A secondary gym (no nets) will be available for people who wish to warmup in advance.

The final matches will be kept until the very end, and only one category's final will be played at a time (to let spectators watch). The finalists have the choice of playing either one game of 21 points or one game of 15 points. In the event of indecision, the 21/15 will be decided by cointoss.

The Most Important Rule: Tournament Organizer (me) and staff (official staff appointed by me, and not just because you're my friend or a member of my club) have FINAL SAY in ALL DISPUTES. We reserve ther right to have someone disqualified from the tournament due to inappropriate behaviour.

Birds are provided for official matches only! (So if you're in the second gym warming up on your own time, you cannot take birds) 2 birds per game. 1 warmup bird. All must be returned at the end of the match. The official birds of this tournament will be Mavis 300 Yellow or Mavis 350 Yellow, at our discretion. (You do not get to choose.) If you wish to bring your own birds, you may, provided that your opponent agrees to using them over the provided birds.

There are no referees, line judges, umpires, etc. The standard ruleset will be posted on the website, though points are kept by the players, and in the event of a dispute or interference from another court, the point is replayed.

Prizes:
    There will be trophies and prizes (T.B.A.) awarded for the top team of each category, as well as for the runners up. There will also be door prizes-- make sure you check in with us when you arrive so that your name will be entered into the raffles. There are several prizes ranging from small (a replacement grip, a wristband, a tube of birds, etc) to large (a racket, a bag, gift certificate, etc.). The top players of each category get two chances to draw a prize-- they draw both prizes and chose which out of the two they want to keep (they only get to take one though!).

On site:
    Spectators are welcome and can come in free, but must NEVER come within two meters of the boundaries of a court, and must observe unobtrusively, or be asked to leave. If you bring small children, for everyone's safety they must be attended to at ALL TIMES.

Food and drink will be available for sale.

Lockers and showers are available for players only. (Bring your own locks).

There will be NO ON SITE STRINGING (too much trouble for a small tournament).

..............um. so yeah. Did i leave something out?

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

We will have four courts, one will be for mixed doubles, one for mens doubles, one for womens doubles. The fourth court will be variable, and will be used to try and get all three events to finish at the same time so that we can showcase all the final matches.
    So you plan to have a lot of people hanging around? What I usually see is one event starting earlier. e.g. men's doubles. Then the ladies doubles, and mixed.

Usually men's doubles has the largest number of entries and it would be prudent to get these out of the way plus turnover of matches (and players waiting around would be less)
    If you make the ladies(or guys) arrive later, they could do other more useful things rather than hanging around in the hall.

[*] You can pay when you arrive at the tournament.
    That's being extremely generous. You will find people entering and not turning up (and there will be quite a few!). That's unfair to those who got their entry in later but were refused.

[*]All signups must be received via telephone, mail, email, or in person at least 2 days prior to the tournament.
    2 days is too short. You really like to put pressure on yourself. Make it at least 1 week. That way you can give some details out to people like...their entry has been successful! If they haven't been successful, they can go and make other plans for the w/end

You CANNOT SIGN UP on the tournament grounds on the day of the tournament.
    I'm 50:50 on this one. If a registered pair doesn't turn up, would you like to fill that group up to maintain the number of games in the round robin? (plus maintain the income you are trying to generate?

One way is to allow pairs to register on the day on a first come:first served basis. i.e.
    "1. All men's pairs must register by 1.45pm. If by 2pm no registration, then the entry will be forfeit."

"2. Players may be allowed to register on the day of the tournament on a first come- first served basis in the event of a registered entry forfeiting entry. Entry fees will be the same. Please note this is NOT a guarentee of entry."

The final matches will be kept until the very end, and only one category's final will be played at a time (to let spectators watch).
    No need to state this point, but be prepared to run two matches at one time if it's nerly 10pm!

The Most Important Rule: Tournament Organizer (me) and staff (official staff appointed by me, and not just because you're my friend or a member of my club) have FINAL SAY in ALL DISPUTES. We reserve ther right to have someone disqualified from the tournament due to inappropriate behaviour.
    Absolutely

Birds are provided for official matches only! (So if you're in the second gym warming up on your own time, you cannot take birds) 2 birds per game. 1 warmup bird. All must be returned at the end of the match. The official birds of this tournament will be Mavis 300 Yellow or Mavis 350 Yellow, at our discretion. (You do not get to choose.) If you wish to bring your own birds, you may, provided that your opponent agrees to using them over the provided birds.
    Just keep to one bird. If you want the higher end shuttles in s/finals and finals, state which one will be used. My preference is to keep to one shuttle only. It's a bit crazy to keep changing types of shuttles for a small tournament that finishes on the same day.

Spectators are welcome and can come in free, but must NEVER come within two meters of the boundaries of a court, and must observe unobtrusively, or be asked to leave. If you bring small children, for everyone's safety they must be attended to at ALL TIMES.
    And tournament organisors accept no responsibility for their safekeeping.

There will be NO ON SITE STRINGING (too much trouble for a small tournament).
    Is on site stringing service normal for a small tournament in Canada? If so, you guys are realy spoilt!

..............um. so yeah. Did i leave something out?
    Definately!
    Those who forfeit entries on the day might ask for their money back giving you considerable administrative headache. I'd say, after closing date finishes, entry fee is non-refundable for those accepted into the draw.

If you let people telephone, e-mail entry, they must get an official form in WITH THE MONEY!!!! That's their responsibility. Envelopes with the postmark on the closing date will be accepted. After that it is to the discretion of the tournament referee.

Refuse all entries who don't PAY on time! Cannot stress this highly enough.

Only accept cash in person...not through the post!! (cos some will say you took their money unfairly! - i.e. they sent the money but you said you never receive the entry)

Now, did I miss anything out?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheung

Now, did I miss anything out?
    Seems pretty complete--

I think I'll take your advice about paying in advance, at least by like 5 days, and that entry fees are non-refundable. I should also put in some clause that if you are kicked out of the tournament due to misbehaviour, you don't get any refund either-- I can see myself kicking out spectators with their noisy uncontrolled kids, thats for sure...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think 4 courts is not enough for 50 pairs, you'll need at least 8, otherwise waiting times will be too long. (on our tournament we had 12 courts for 77 pairs, and that was just enough)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by raptorman
    I think 4 courts is not enough for 50 pairs, you'll need at least 8, otherwise waiting times will be too long. (on our tournament we had 12 courts for 77 pairs, and that was just enough)
    I've advised the gym staff, and I can rent more courts 'at the last minute' if need be. But i need to see how many people sign up first before I can say for sure. Minimum is 4 courts at the very least, but I'm not worried.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. Mmm... How are you going to collect the money?! You're not running around Mtl all day long to get paid I hope.

2. Is the tournament open to every body, regardless RsM/BF member or not? If so, how are you going to advertise?

3. How are you going make sure people only take one single shuttle? Let's say when called, the 1st pair comes up to collect one, then, later, the 2nd pair comes to get one also?

4. Please bear in mind that many are on trip/work during summer. It'll therefore be difficult to find the "perfect" tournament date.

Little details yes, but they can still be a pain. Anyway, if you need help or volunteers, I'm ready to give you a hand!

And btw, you have a few typos on the website: "Amateru" (amateur) and on your Weekender page, one place says the schedule is "Sat. 6pm-10pm" while on the left colum, it's written "Sat 2-10pm"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the suggestions and the typo notes everyone, I'm actually going to really pull this togther, and the officiall annoucement of the tourney should be up and ready within a day or two... stay tuned and thanks for all your support!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the suggestions and the typo notes everyone, I'm actually going to really pull this togther, and the officiall annoucement of the tourney should be up and ready within a day or two... stay tuned and thanks for all your support!
    Good luck, your motivation is admirable

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

A pretty good guide is to think "what things would I like in a tournament as a competitor?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey all,

It's been a while since this thread was up. Just as an update on old news. It's been almost 2 years since the original tournament...

I recently joined this website called www.Facebook.com which is a sort of 'social networking' website. On this site i've started up a group for the RsM players. And i've just now uploaded the old photos from the original RsM Amatuer Open Tournament. So if you participated back then, check out the facebook link and check out the pictures!

If you're a facebook members join the group too, and maybe you can help to identify some of the faces in the pictures since I don't know all the names!

The link to the facebook group is:
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2225746717

As I know it, there are actually a handful of BCers hidden in the photos, it's like playing where's waldo.

Looking back at this thread, I totally forgot how many people offered me advice on how to start this tournament, and I'm doubly grateful now that the club has been running for almost two years. I couldn't have pulled off the club (nevermind just the tournament) or the co-op store if it weren't for the help of BC members!

Please join the facebook group and send in your pictures!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems I need to register to get in. Can you send an invitational link something, which allow the pic to be shown in the public, w/o registration.

Great job for the club and tourny!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Hi, I'm reviving this thread

I'm about to organize a small corporate dual meet this coming 3rd week of April.

It's going to be Manila vs. Laguna.

I've gotten a few pointers in this thread. I'm asking if you have more ideas on how to organize such an event. What are the things that I have to remember?

I've only gotten this far.

1. Prepare the schedule (please see attachment).

2. Lay out a rough draft of the general rule (see below).
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BADMINTON DUAL MEET (Laguna vs Manila)
    PLAYERS
    1. There will be 2 teams --- Team Manila and Team Laguna.
    2. Each team will have representatives for the following:
    a.Three disciplines --- menís doubles (MD), womenís doubles (WD), mixed doubles (XD);
    b.Three levels --- A, B, C;
    c.Two brackets for each level--- 1, 2 (e.g., A1 and A2, B1 and B2, and C1 and C2).
    3. Double entry for two different disciplines is allowed provided that the player is only one step higher or lower from his/her MD/WDís level (e.g., WDB1 can play in XDA1 or XDC1, but WDA1 cannot play in XDC1).

Rules and regulations

1.Standard badminton rules apply (see attached badminton_law.pdf).

2.Each game is played to 21 points.

3.The pair with two games won wins the match (best of three).

4.Setting is allowed; that is, if the score reaches 20-all, then the game continues until one side gains a 2-point lead (such as 24-22), up to a maximum of 30 points (30-29 is a winning score).

5.A pair will compete against the opposing teamís two brackets of the same level.

6.For each match won, 3 points will be added to the teamís total score.

7.For each match lost, 1 point will be added to the teamís total score.

8.For players who lose by default, no point will be added to the teamís total score.

9.Players who are not on court within 5 minutes after they are called shall be considered default.

10.Players who withdraw during the game shall have no points added to the teamsí total score.

11.The team with the highest total score shall be considered the Team Champion.

In case of a tie, declaration of Team Champion will be based on the following in order:
    1.number of wins minus number of loses;

2.number of games won minus games lost (two consecutive games won = 3 points, winner with three sets = 2 points, loser with three sets = 1 point, loser with two sets = 0 point);

3.point system, that is, the total number of winning points of all the pairs (winner automatically gets 42 points; loser gets the sum of the two games lost).
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I haven't tackled the following:
    • umpire and line judges,
    • awards,
    • brand and number of shuttlecocks,
    • budget and registration fee,
    • food and drinks,
    • T-shirts,
    • courts,
    • score sheets and list of overall match control.
    Is there anything else that I'm forgetting?
    To those who are experienced in this, please help. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by venkatesh View Post
    3.point system, that is, the total number of winning points of all the pairs (winner automatically gets 42 points; loser gets the sum of the two games lost)
    You mean that if a close match finishes 26-24, 25-23 then the winner gets 42 and the loser gets 47???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by alexh View Post
    You mean that if a close match finishes 26-24, 25-23 then the winner gets 42 and the loser gets 47???
    Wow, thank you for correcting that. I may have to restructure the sentence. But you get my point right?

I'd appreciate it if you find any more loopholes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...this is interesting....i also want to know .......how/where to get the score chart

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast