Substitute for bg 65 at 24lbs

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by ChocoChipWaffle, Jun 20, 2005.

1. ChocoChipWaffle

ChocoChipWaffle Regular Member

I have mp 100 and i strung it bg 65@22lbs. however, i tried my friend's mp 100 which is strung with bg 65@24lbs, and i liked his much better. That's why i wanted it strung that way, but my stringer doesn't want to string anything above 23 lbs. So, can anyone recommend me a string, where if the string is strung at 22-23lbs, it will feel and perform similarly to bg 65@24lbs?

p.s. plz, don't comment on anything like how my stringer is incomptent, and that 24lbs is nothing a GOOD stringer can't do, and that i should get a new stringer. I already know that a good stringer can string a racket upto 28lbs. ANd yes, i already know alot of other stringers who can string it at that tension. Thank you.

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    1. Go for another reputable stringer, who willing to go 24lb.

2. Try thinner string (i.e. BG85, BG80, etc), however, durability and cost might be an issue.

3. Shuttlebugs

Shuttlebugs Regular Member

BG85 is the way to go. Good luck.

4. ToMitch

ToMitch Regular Member

Someone once told me that when you use titanium coated string its tension would feel 2lbs more than what it was originally strung with.

Assuming the above statement is true, BG65ti @ 22lbs should suit your needs.

5. winstonchan

winstonchan Regular Member

CBO (Chief Babysitting Officer)
    Assuming competent stringing techique. Thicker strings require higher tension to get the same repulsion power as thinner strings, and vice versa, thinner strings don't require as high tension to give the same repulsion power. Try BG-68Ti or BG-85 at 22-23 lbs. This should perform close to your requirement, though if you can get BG-68Ti or BG-85 to 24lbs, that would be even better. Give it a go.

6. jsunsun

jsunsun Regular Member

bg66 feel tighter than other strings, while still has arguably the best repulsion power among all yonex strings. from my experience, relative to bg66, bg68ti feels very lose at same tension, probably because it's a very "slippery"(very little friction where the cross and main strings make contact) string, thus feels more lose when hitting shuttles.

7. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Regular Member

Student
    i would go with bg68ti at 23lbs, but thats my own preference, give it a try if you'd like. if u play with plastic i wouldn't reccomend bg85 or those thinner strings since it will snap very easily.

8. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

23lbs and 24lbs is not a HUGE differences. If you insist, simply go and look for another stringer.

9. Neosakai

Neosakai Regular Member

Unemployed =(
    If you read his p.s... He explained why he's sticking with this stringer.

I suggest you try out other strings. Like some people said above, try thinner strings.

By the way where do you live Choco? My stringer also doesn't wanna go above 23lb

10. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

If you read his post again, he is looking for something perform similarly to bg 65@24lbs, and my suggestion is BG65@23.

11. Neosakai

Neosakai Regular Member

Unemployed =(
    Sry, I was referring to this....

12. ChocoChipWaffle

ChocoChipWaffle Regular Member

ook, someppl might be confused why i'm not changing stringer...

and lol no, it's NOT because i am the stringer that i keep calling incomeptent, it's my good friend, and he has strung my racket for a few years...

alright, i'll be honest, i'm not willing to change stringers because of FRIENDSHIP and LOYALTY only, but he's the nearest and cheapest stringer i can find, and i'm too lazy lol:p

13. Neosakai

Neosakai Regular Member

Unemployed =(
    Hmm.... I have a question out of curiousity.... If you're friends with the stringer, for what reason will he not do racquets over 23lb? Is it because he is afraid of accidents?

14. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Well, reputation for a stringer is fairly important, especially if he makes a living on it. The higher the tension, the more often a string will snap faster, and the more risk for the racket. Since ppl tend to blame the stringers w/o even think twice, some stringers tend to be conservative to "protect" themselves. :cool:

15. winstonchan

winstonchan Regular Member

CBO (Chief Babysitting Officer)
    Quite agree to this. The stringer was playing safe and do not wish to damage the "MP-100". Really you gotta be a very competent stringer to string rackets to very high tension. It requires experiences and techniques.

16. red00ecstrat

red00ecstrat Regular Member

(Full Time) Coolie. (Part Time) Photojournalist.
    most likely the stringer doesn't want to take the risk of breaking the racket. but it should be ok for most of the racket which's strung at 23 or 24 lbs.