standing on the service line attacking a serve

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by odjn, Jun 21, 2005.

1. odjn

odjn Regular Member

Student
    I'm 5 feet 5 inches and i'm just wondering if I'm to short to be toeing the service line while attacking the serve. Cus I'm more used to standing about a foot behind the service line, and i'm afraid of getting flicked served over my head. Since I'm short, I'm afraid that if i toe the service line my opponents will flick to me.

So should short ppl toe the service line in doubles or not?

2. valourarc

valourarc Regular Member

Professional
    I am the same height as you and I stand right on the service line. I guess the issue is whether you have the leg strength to hop back and attack the shuttle if you're standing on the service line.

Personally, I don't have a problem with getting back (yet).

3. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Are you confident enough that you can jump back to take a flick serve? Toeing or standing close to the service line to receive serve is an aggressive stance and unless you are confident that you can recover from a flick serve, you might be better off playing it safe.

Best time to do it is when your opponents' flick serve are weak. Being short do present a slight disadvantage as your opponent's flick serve do not to have to be high to catch you off guard.

Regardless, when you are receiving serve, you should always be thinking "forward and back".