Is university badminton better than high school?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Dave18, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Dave18

Dave18 Regular Member

Student
    For those of you in university or have gone through it, do you honestly believe it was more memorable than high school badminton?

I'm entering university in the fall and I want to join the team and would like some insight on people who have joined university teams.

2. Devilicious

Devilicious Regular Member

student
    Can you define "better"? :confused:

Well I guess it should be more fun and challenging as the level will be higher since players have more experience. National players like Philippe Bourret (ok, he's like one of the top top ones) even play for their school. So if you go to Montreal University (like Bourret), be prepared to give a hard fight to join the team, lol.

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I guess the case varies between school to school. Some school invests quite a bit and have a quite successful program in badminton, while others not. Therefore, just compare in general, the information could be hardly accurate. :cool:

4. Dave18

Dave18 Regular Member

Student
    In university, does it work the same way as high school with the flight system, A, B, C for singles, mixed, and doubles?

5. cheung31

cheung31 Regular Member

holy crap, they got university badminton teams? i thought it wouldn't be popular enough to have that. do you get to compete with other schools or what?

im also entering university next fall @ u of c

6. pb_aznstyle

pb_aznstyle Regular Member

The University level around here is WAY ahead of high school. Normal high school kids only ever play on the team, with the exception of a few private club members who dominate for thier schools. Universities here actually have coaches and proper training that's means something when you say "team".

7. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    Don't know what it's like out in the East but I do know that U of A (and most likely U of C) don't have University badminton teams (as in a competitive one that plays varsity against Universities). There are of course recreational clubs available for current students and alumni and the play level I can assure you is much higher than high school standards since many of them played competitve club in their days and/or provincial level. With so many other team sports, badminton just doesn't rate very high at the Varsity level.

But I think the colleges around here do have inter-college badminton competitions.

8. Dave18

Dave18 Regular Member

Student
    I can't wait to tryout for the university team in the fall. However, my friend's brother who is exceptionally good only got to be a sub in his first year. That's so much competition. It's like grade 9 in high school all over again. But oh well, I just want to be part of the team. :D

Anyone here got further than being a sub in first year university?

9. Trance

Trance Regular Member

Student ;)
    What university are you going to?

10. Dave18

Dave18 Regular Member

Student
    Ryerson university. Strong team. :D

11. txyu

txyu Regular Member

Manager Fitness Facility
    I played both university and college badminton and prefer college....
    we got to play more
    University only paid for the university tournaments and we never got to play in Open tournaments

In College, that's all we played... Open tournaments, the intercollegiate, plus regionals, plus provincials, and plus Nationals if we made it...all paid for

We got to play all the events and weren't limited to just one or two events.

Are there going to be enough teams to keep the university circuit going? I know there has been some discussion to have university and college compete together...