User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 17 of 24
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    white rock, bc
    Posts
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Exclamation Collision accident

    I was playing doubles, covering the front court while my partner was in the rear court. While trying to return a shuttle with my head turning sideways, all of a sudden my partner's racket hit my right eye at full force. The lens shattered. I was bleeding and saw only a blur for the next 10 min or so. My partner immediately commented: "he was in my lane". Could he be correct? He was playng behind me and could see my movements at all times, whereas playing in front of him, I could not see him. The fact that he rushed forward to me, does this not seem to indicate that the shuttle was closer to me than to him? I was transported by ambulance to a hospital ER where the ER doctor pronounced me extremely lucky with only a cut in my eyeball but otherwise no internal damage. I am posting this because my aggresive partner maintains it was my own fault; he has offered no apology. What I wish to know from fellow BFers is this: 1)when you play doubles, do you defend lanes, or the entire width of either the front-, or rear court?; 2)is your partner not supposed to give you enough playing room?

    PS. Three players who witnessed the accident told me that my partner has a reputation of being a "dangerous" player who was involved in other collisions before.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    2,214
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Your partner is at fault, as he has clear field of view of what's happening in front of him.

    Count yourself extremely lucky, and good luck in a speedy recovery.

    -dave

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Basement Boiler Room
    Posts
    22,118
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cocotte
    I was playing doubles, covering the front court while my partner was in the rear court. While trying to return a shuttle with my head turning sideways, all of a sudden my partner's racket hit my right eye at full force. The lens shattered. I was bleeding and saw only a blur for the next 10 min or so. My partner immediately commented: "he was in my lane". Could he be correct? He was playng behind me and could see my movements at all times, whereas playing in front of him, I could not see him. The fact that he rushed forward to me, does this not seem to indicate that the shuttle was closer to me than to him? I was transported by ambulance to a hospital ER where the ER doctor pronounced me extremely lucky with only a cut in my eyeball but otherwise no internal damage. I am posting this because my aggresive partner maintains it was my own fault; he has offered no apology. What I wish to know from fellow BFers is this: 1)when you play doubles, do you defend lanes, or the entire width of either the front-, or rear court?; 2)is your partner not supposed to give you enough playing room?

    PS. Three players who witnessed the accident told me that my partner has a reputation of being a "dangerous" player who was involved in other collisions before.
    It's no use to debate with this partner of your. You're right about that he can see u and not vice versa. Take this as your lesson about this guy and stop pursuing of giving him a lesson (unless u wanna sue him for medical expenses).

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    ontario, canada
    Posts
    180
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cocotte
    I was playing doubles, covering the front court while my partner was in the rear court. While trying to return a shuttle with my head turning sideways, all of a sudden my partner's racket hit my right eye at full force. The lens shattered. I was bleeding and saw only a blur for the next 10 min or so. My partner immediately commented: "he was in my lane". Could he be correct? He was playng behind me and could see my movements at all times, whereas playing in front of him, I could not see him. The fact that he rushed forward to me, does this not seem to indicate that the shuttle was closer to me than to him? I was transported by ambulance to a hospital ER where the ER doctor pronounced me extremely lucky with only a cut in my eyeball but otherwise no internal damage. I am posting this because my aggresive partner maintains it was my own fault; he has offered no apology. What I wish to know from fellow BFers is this: 1)when you play doubles, do you defend lanes, or the entire width of either the front-, or rear court?; 2)is your partner not supposed to give you enough playing room?

    PS. Three players who witnessed the accident told me that my partner has a reputation of being a "dangerous" player who was involved in other collisions before.

    My take on this is that it doesn't matter who's shot it is. The player in the back can easily see where his partner is and should never be swinging with any force when there is a chance that he may hit his partner backing up.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Lymm, United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,287
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    it sounds like he's a bit careless, but basically it's both and neither of your faults simply because:

    a) neither of you called for it and you hadn't discussed how you were going to play.

    defending lanes as you quite descriptively put it is a basic strategy altho leave your side struggling to maintain the attack when your opponent simply blocks to the net in front of you after a smash from the back.

    front and back play on it's own doesn't work either because the player at the back will get tired eventually from the harder hitting required.

    so both strategy's are employed in a game. unless you or your partner doesn't grasp the idea of rotating between to two strategy's.

    in the end i think the blame is mostly on him. he can see you, but you can't see him. i certainly wouldn't continue with my swing full power if i could see my partner was going for the same shot. or i would at least shout mine if i saw you heading for it.

    for future reference either don't play with him, or politely ask him how he would like to play, (and not to clobber you if he can see you going for what he thinks is his shot)

    hope this helps

    Neil

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    San Jose, California
    Posts
    1,638
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think it depends on what level your partner is at. I doubt if a beginner can see you alll the time while concentrating at hitting the bird. But no matter whose fault it is, he hit someone at the eyes and should always apologize. This guy is too rude.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Bell tower
    Posts
    732
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I'm with Qidong. Regardless of whose shot it really was, you smack or hurt someone, you apologise. Especially when it's bad enough to put him in a hospital.

    IMHO, he's not at fault for going for the shuttle or even for hitting you. He's at fault for failing to apologise.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    47
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I wont hit a shuttle if there is a risk of injury. Its just not worth it. My partners feel the same way, or else I wouldnt play with them.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Tokyo 'n Sweden
    Posts
    90
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cocotte
    My partner immediately commented: "he was in my lane". Could he be correct? ... he has offered no apology.... What I wish to know from fellow BFers is this: 1)when you play doubles, do you defend lanes, or the entire width of either the front-, or rear court?; 2)is your partner not supposed to give you enough playing room?
    It's his fault, theres no lanes defending but rather back and front in most games depending on the situation. Maybe you guys played w another system? Very incompetent of your partner o smack you in your eye! Not only incompetent but extremely rude! He deserves a slap at least hehekidding. I would change partner and let him know how you feel about his actions.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    white rock, bc
    Posts
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Collision

    Quote Originally Posted by merlin
    I wont hit a shuttle if there is a risk of injury. Its just not worth it. My partners feel the same way, or else I wouldnt play with them.

    Thank you all fellow BFers for your reassuring comments. This accident is a good lesson for me as a 76-year old. In the future, I'll be more careful in choosing a doubles partner. Yes, I consider myself extremely lucky with the good prognosis of my eye.

    Cocotte

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    New York, US
    Posts
    10,283
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qidong
    But no matter whose fault it is, he hit someone at the eyes and should always apologize. This guy is too rude.
    I agree.

    Reardless who's fault is, if someone is bleeding, there's no time or should ever thinking about finger pointing. More likely, ur partner might be scared of the incident, and trying to push off responsibility.

    Therefore, no matter what kinda skill lvl he is, I will get myself another partner. No responsibility and no sportsmanship will always piss me off.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    London area, UK
    Posts
    3,879
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    It's never worth risking an injury. If there is danger of hitting your partner, you should always let the shot go.

    The rearcourt player must accommodate the front player's movement, even if it is mistaken. The front court player should avoid turning round during a rally.

    If a player has a casual attitude towards causing such injuries, then you should refuse to play with him. It might be a bit socially awkward to say that, but your health and safety is more important. Besides, players EARN the right to play with a partner; it can be lost if they behave badly.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Posts
    3,511
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Cocotte,

    Speedy recovery, man! Totally agree with others here, your partner is not worth the trouble of lecture if he is so narrow focus as to totally ignore your presence during a DOUBLES game. His action reveals alot about his character and calibre. Save your trouble and others' by letting them know what really happened so that they could decide whether they should play with him next time. I find social ostracization to be a doubly effective means of correcting bad behaviours or ridding of bad elements.

    His lame excuse of you being in his 'defending lane' doesn't hold water as you wouldn't have intercept the shot had it been a defensive situation. Sounds like he's one of those "I play my side and you play yours" player. Either those kinds of players are ignorant of doubles rotation strategy (I would give them a break) or they prefer to play singles on a half court area (I would avoid them like the plague).

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Posts
    132
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ryeung
    My take on this is that it doesn't matter who's shot it is. The player in the back can easily see where his partner is and should never be swinging with any force when there is a chance that he may hit his partner backing up.
    I disagree with this. If the pace of the game is fast, a wrong movement of the front player can result in getting hit by his partner. I've been hit already a couple of times on my shoulder/back because I made a mistake and although my partner is a very experienced player, he couldn't prevent hitting me.

    But I think not apologizing is a very poor form I hope you have a speedy recovery cocotte

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    89
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    get well soon mate!! hmmm.. dun worry.. he will reap wat he sow.. he will receive the same treatment next time.. haha.. there are sure more worthy partners for you out there.. Cheers :>

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    white rock, bc
    Posts
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coops241180
    it sounds like he's a bit careless, but basically it's both and neither of your faults simply because:

    a) neither of you called for it and you hadn't discussed how you were going to play.

    defending lanes as you quite descriptively put it is a basic strategy altho leave your side struggling to maintain the attack when your opponent simply blocks to the net in front of you after a smash from the back.

    front and back play on it's own doesn't work either because the player at the back will get tired eventually from the harder hitting required.

    so both strategy's are employed in a game. unless you or your partner doesn't grasp the idea of rotating between to two strategy's.

    in the end i think the blame is mostly on him. he can see you, but you can't see him. i certainly wouldn't continue with my swing full power if i could see my partner was going for the same shot. or i would at least shout mine if i saw you heading for it.

    for future reference either don't play with him, or politely ask him how he would like to play, (and not to clobber you if he can see you going for what he thinks is his shot)

    hope this helps

    Neil
    Hi Neil,

    In a normal doubles game, after I serve, I usually protect the front court. When my partner serves, I stand behind him/her, and then protect the rear court. So no partner stays at the rear all the time; we alternate during a game. Thanks for your wishes. My cut eye is healing!

    Cocotte

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    148
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Cool Collision

    Hi Cocotte,
    I too have a case of collision with my partner during a double game. This time, my partner was at the front. The shot from our opponent flew toward the back of our court and I was guarding the back. My partner who was a beginner in this game just swing his racket and hit me right on my head!!! He didnt even noticed I was right behind him. Wow, I got a mini volcano on my head. Just squated down and rubbed my head as hard as possible to subdue the pain. From that day onward,
    I just avoid partnering this guy. Too dangerous to play with him.In future game, I just give way to my partner if I find him too earger to take the shot.Better to be safe than get injured.

    Quote Originally Posted by cocotte
    Hi Neil,

    In a normal doubles game, after I serve, I usually protect the front court. When my partner serves, I stand behind him/her, and then protect the rear court. So no partner stays at the rear all the time; we alternate during a game. Thanks for your wishes. My cut eye is healing!

    Cocotte

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 29
    : 04-04-2012, 05:59 PM
  2. String snapping... has to be a collision..
    By toomanyracquets in forum Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools
    Replies: 7
    : 04-03-2012, 10:16 AM
  3. Lee Chong Wei met an Accident
    By ants in forum Malaysia Professional Players
    Replies: 64
    : 10-18-2007, 08:40 AM
  4. It was an accident!
    By Pete LSD in forum General Forum
    Replies: 26
    : 05-12-2005, 08:03 PM
  5. Choong Hann and Hafiz on collision course in Singapore
    By ants in forum Singapore Open 2004
    Replies: 0
    : 11-17-2004, 08:09 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •