Returning low drives and half-court shots

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by rebelsage, Jun 23, 2005.

1. rebelsage

rebelsage Regular Member

Banker
    Hi. I've been playing doubles for 1 1/2 years. I'm looking for a better way to handle shots that land in the farther half of the court (away from the net) that I have to bend low and reach for, especially on my backhand. These occur when opponents return serves with half-court drives to the alley or after some rally where I need to move side to side.

I've tried straight and cross-court drops, but opponents anticipate these after a while and adopt a front-back attacking position. This then puts pressure on me to hit more precise drops. I've also tried attacking clears but I have difficulty consistently getting depth from the backhand side.

Look foward to your suggestions. Thanks.

2. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

If the shuttle is low in your midcourt, then you don't really have any options. You must lift it to the back.

If the shuttle is a little higher (near net height), you can attempt a straight drive or push to the midcourt.

That's why these returns of service - push to the midcourt alley - are such difficult shots to return: you are pretty much forced to lift.

3. Hello0

Hello0 Regular Member

You could tell your partner in front to try to cut it off by standing farther behind the service line, or start closer behind your partner to turn it in to a push or drive.

4. Pball

Pball Regular Member

As usual .. the answer is practice, practice, practice. Develope a stronger backhand. usually I try to clear it to either box (right box for my forehand, left box for my backhand) or the back T. Just make sure you get enough depth. If you can develope faster reflexes, so much the better, you can take drive earlier and drive it back.

regards

#4 Pball, Jun 24, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2005
  5. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Don't worry about it too much... just keep practicing your footworks and drives. The reason you're taking the shuttle late is because you haven't had the experience to anticipate the shot. After playing for awhile, you'll automatically take the shuttle much sooner because you'll be more conditioned to taking those kinds of shots, thus allowing more shot options for the return. You have only been in the sport briefly, give yourself a break and keep at it. Solutions will appear when the timing is right. Of course, getting coached and drilled will accelerate your development. But if you're playing recreationally, you have to accept growth at a more gradual rate.

6. rebelsage

rebelsage Regular Member

Banker
    Thanks guys. I think I'll try HelloO's suggestion of standing closer to my partner when he serves to cut off the returns sooner. Of course, more practice and better fitness will help me meet the shuttle sooner during rallies. Reckon a reliable clear from that position is a must, perhaps with a drop away from the net man thrown in occassionally. Cappy's right in that I shouldn't worry too much; after all, I took up the sport recreationally to have fun!

This is a great forum. Thanks again.

7. Swiral

Swiral Regular Member

Hahah I do that all the time and it always gets them on doubles they think the
    other person would go behind them and get it