Help with serving rules.

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by Moses, Jun 26, 2005.

1. Moses

Moses New Member

Hello, I've been reading about serving and I am a little confused on exactly how it works. A friend and I have been playing badminton for a few months and we got our rules from online, and I'm reading it over again and I can't really understand what these rules mean.

9.1.3 some part of both feet of the server and receiver shall remain in contact with the surface of the
    court in a stationary position from the start of the service (Law 9.4) until the service is delivered
    (Law 9.5);

and

Once started (Law 9.4), the service is delivered when the shuttle is hit by the server’s racket or, in attempting to serve, the server misses the shuttle.

Does this mean that the reciever can't move his feet at all before he hits the shuttle back, what if the server hits it over the receivers head and he can't reach it without moving or jumping? Also does the receiver have to hit it back towards the server or can he hit it anywhere? And finally once the server hits the shuttle can he move out of his box to anywhere on the court?

Sorry for all the stupid questions, but I'm new and I love badminton,
    Thanks,
    Vincent.

2. raptorman

raptorman Regular Member

Everyone can move to whatever place he wants after the server has hit the shuttle.

3. Moses

Moses New Member

Does this mean that once he has hit the shuttle, the reciever can step out of his box and move as close to the net as he wants? Or does he have to stay inside his box untill he hits the shuttle back?

4. raptorman

raptorman Regular Member

Like I said, he can move everywhere (as long as it's inside the field), so also out of his box.

5. tinkerbella122

tinkerbella122 Regular Member

Student
    Does this mean that the reciever can't move his feet at all before he hits the shuttle back

It means that the reciever can't rush -> he can only move after the server had made contact with the shuttlecock

what if the server hits it over the receivers head and he can't reach it without moving or jumping?

^^ he can move when the server had made contact with the shuttlecock

Also does the receiver have to hit it back towards the server or can he hit it anywhere?

He can hit it anywhere

And finally once the server hits the shuttle can he move out of his box to anywhere on the court?

Yep

Hope I've helped :)

6. i_two_net

i_two_net Regular Member

The receiver stays with both feet planted UNTIL the SERVER contacts the shuttle with the racket, after which the RECEIVER is free to rush, jump back, whatever, ANYWHERE within the court (or even outside, for that matter), in order to return the shuttle.

Cheers