What did I do wrong??

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by versionone_, Jun 28, 2005.

1. versionone_

versionone_ Regular Member

Unemployed =(
    Okay. I was playing at Talisman from 10 AM till 6:30 PM... So, a span of 8 1/2 hours of non-stop badminton.

Well, I've been moving around, practicing my footwork and etc., when my left foot lost grip. I ignored it because it happens to me with the conditions of these "public" gyms (dusty :))

When I started to play, my foot started to tingle and as the game progressed, it really started to hurt. When I was done, my foot started to blister and I couldn't walk home! I have to ice, and it is as we speak, so I was wondering if this is just a day-to-day thing or do I need to go to the doctor? It swelled up a little but now, it's returning back to normal but it still hurts and when I rotate my ankle, I hear cracks. :confused: I fear that it is a sprain and I can't play for a while. Also, my back is spasming (???) from time to time but I usually get that from not stretching so I expected that.

Anyways, what do you think it is and how can I prevent it from happening again so that it doesn't lead to a broken ankle or whatnot?

#1 versionone_, Jun 28, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2005
  2. loverush

loverush Regular Member

Should probably see a doctor..
    Especially if it got so bad that you couldn't walk on it.
    How to prevent this from happening? Improve flexibility from stretching, improve strength, and don't play to the limits of your body.. 8.5 hours sounds quite excessive

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    next time, when u think u have twisted and sprained your joint, stop playing or sit down on bench and check it out. One day rest immediately is better than 10 days rest after u push it too far.

4. i_two_net

i_two_net Regular Member

You shouldn't over-train. When you are fatigued there is a higher chance of injury. If you are training for serious competitions then injuries will set back your progress much more than any incremental benefit from over-long stretches of playing. Crackling sounds (or crepitus) are common after a bad ankle sprain. If you know how to compress and ice the area, you don't really need to see a doc for the time being, but you definitely need to rest the ankle. If after 2 weeks or so the swelling does not subside, and it still hurts a lot to walk, then there may be a fracture, do go see a doc then.

5. keith_aquino

keith_aquino Regular Member

part-time student, full-time baddy fanatic
    Blistered feet eh? Runners place advice placing Vaseline on their feet or just let it form a hard callouse (like mine! :D). I'd go with the Vaseline thing though. I really think you've overtrained. Still, I think there are other things to it. You stated that you haven't stretched, a very important factor in performance. Do you warm up until you sweat before stretching? You should also stretch and cool down after playing/training. About the foot question, here's a link on symptons and advice....

http://my.webmd.com/content/pages/13/79961

I recommend just spinning your ankle once in a while. Place the tip of your toe on the floor and just rotate your ankle both clockwise and counter. Okay, that's all the practical advice I can give.

;)

6. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

Librarian, RacketsportsMontreal.ca owner
    To answer the question "what did i do wrong", maybe nothing in particular-- but you did set up conditions for something to go wrong all on it's own... Just keep in mind that 8 hours is a long time to do anything-- fun as it is, you have to pace yourself. Playing until exhaustion is not always worth it!

Go check with a doctor! When you say tingle, do you mean a tingle due to the blisters? If it's in the ankle, I think it's quite common-- usually it happens with a bad twist, but even more often with a "flat footed" landing, especially when the joint is cold or tired.

7. versionone_

versionone_ Regular Member

Unemployed =(
    I always stretch for a long time until I get sweaty, but my friends are very impatient and wanted to play until sun down, so I couldn't properly stretch. The tingling is from the blisters (pretty sure) but right now, the swelling has subsided and I don't think I'm gonna play for quite some time.

But just to be sure, I guess I shall see a doctor then. How fun that's going to be :rolleyes:

Thanks for the advice people! :)