Exercises to regain my fitness!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by sexytom, Jun 29, 2005.

1. sexytom

sexytom Regular Member

Hi all,

Im on a get fit routine to regain my physical fitness! Let me tell you my story. I used to be extremely fit, I played tennis 4 hours a day and went to the gym 3 times a week. I had loads of energy and felt great for it.

Over the past few years i've really let myself go :eek: , I've been confined to an office desk all day and then been drinking in the pub most nights! As much fun as the last few years have been, Im really feel the effects, especially when im playing badminton, I get exhausted extremely quickly and have terrible endurance. Im now trying to regain as much of my fitness as I can. I ride my bike as often as I can and am doing a workout routine most days. Here's my routine so far, what I want to ask you guys is if you can suggest any exercises I can add to my routine. Just things you can do at home please as I can't afford to go to the gym!

Stretch5 mins
    Press ups25
    Sit ups50
    Dips (triceps)25
    Reverse Curls (lower abs)20
    Pull Ups12
    Skipping250
    Press ups25
    Sit ups50
    Dips (triceps)25
    Reverse Curls (lower abs)20
    Pull Ups12
    Boxing10 mins
    Press ups25

thanks in advance for any advice!

ST

2. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

I would add some wind sprints or some kind of footwork. Boxing and skipping are right now the only real cardio excercises on the list. Also there aren't really any leg specific exercises. Do jump squats and calf raises or something along those lines.

3. emjay

emjay Regular Member

IT minion
    Well it's not really something you can do at home (unless you're loaded!) but I found swimming 2-3 nights a week was very helpful when I first started back on the road to fitness! It will increase your cardio-vascular fitness and also give your muscles an all over workout; just what you need for badminton :)

4. lsk_rulez

lsk_rulez Regular Member

Most beneficial for quickest results IMO: calf raises (one legged) and one leg squats. Do them until your legs turn into rubber. Rest a few mins, repeat [​IMG] .

5. sexytom

sexytom Regular Member

rubber legs? sounds interesting will give it a try! ;)

6. Azwok

Azwok Regular Member

Student
    Yea, like Eurasian said, some some sort of jogging/ sprinting exerscise, that for stamina/ endurance.

Heres what I found handy:
    I have a huge park/ wildlife reserve at the back of my garden, owned by some super rich guy. Theres about 10 houses that have acess to it, one of them being mine, hes lets us use it:). The park is convienietly set out, and running 1 lap of the park will take me 8 mins. So what I do is this, I jog one lap of the park at a moderate speed, then for the next lap i sprint for 30 secs and then jog for 30 secs and then sprint again for 30 secs etc. Then after ive completed the lap of sprinting/jogging I go back to normal jogging for a lap, then i do the sprinting/ jogging lap again. I repeat this for normally 40 mins, or untill i pass out:p .

Hope this helps.

7. Eurasian =--(O)

one of the most wise thing's I've ever been told is that 'the more you put into something the more you get out' pushing yourself to the limit and beyond everyday will produce results regardless of what you are doing fitness wise

8. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

I think the skipping would develop the calves even better than calf raises. Calf raises can develop maximum strength and muscular endurance, but skipping teaches you to bounce lightly on your feet, develop upper body stability while moving your feet quickly, your aerobic (and anaerobic) endurance as well as improving your proprioception around the ankle.

Right now you're doing 250 reps. That's under two minutes at even a fairly moderate pace. Set a progression of goals for yourself such as 500 jumps, 5 minutes, 10 minutes, ... , up to about 25-30 minutes at a pace of about 160-180 rpm, with possibly some occasional 10 second sprints at 200+ once you become more advanced.

For most jumps, try to keep your feet close to the ground - only jump high enough to barely clear the rope. As you improve, introduce more advanced techniques such as splitting your feet apart sideways or forwards, hopping laterally or forwards, alternately crossing your feet or twisting your torso, power jumping, etc.

While pushing yourself to the limit everyday may be effective for some things in life, remember that physical training works by having your body come back stronger after strenuous exercise. So, give yourself plenty of rest between workouts, and remember, the harder the exercise, the more recovery days needed.

9. Eurasian =--(O)

Skipping is a great exercise if you can do it consistently (400 without mistakes)

10. ploppers

ploppers Regular Member

Wow, 400 dbl skips!?

11. sexytom

sexytom Regular Member

:eek: Impressive! I can do about 200 and then my poor sense of balance takes over.

12. lsk_rulez

lsk_rulez Regular Member

I would have preferred skipping myself, but I found I could do calf raises a lot more often and a lot more discreetly (while waiting in line, at work, etc [​IMG] ).

I would still do some calf raises even with skipping, though, since I don't feel skipping develops enough muscle strength.

BTW, 400 non-stop double skips is awesome.

13. ruth1

ruth1 Regular Member

Student Athlete
    Skipping is a great exercise. Like already mentioned, it gives a muscle workout, endurance, aerobic, and a fast feet workout.

Over here in China we've been doing 25 minutes single skip non stop. For 30 seconds to a minute we go out all, fast speed, with different feet combinations (alternate feet, skip on one leg, lunge with different legs, etc). Then we do a "relax jump" for another 30 seconds to a minute. Like I said, we do this for 25 minutes. Next week we move up to 30 minutes. In 5 weeks we will be doing 40 minutes non stop.

Then after that, we do double jumps. The goal is to get 125 double jumps in one minute. We do 6 minutes worth in 1 minute intervals and the rest ratio is 1:1 (while your partner jumps his minute worth, you count their jumps). It's killer on your arms. But people are putting in 600+ jumps. As for me, right now I can do about 430. But for the past 3 days I've been doing 300 double jumps a day so that when next week's test comes, I will have more improvement. I've already made a dramatic improvement from two weeks ago when I was lucky just to get 200 jumps in 6 minutes.

14. Eurasian =--(O)

Wow im going to try skipping for that long. I've never skipped for more than like 20 min all at once. I've got to try that!

Also a really good way to speed up the rate of improvement (especially if you want to lose weight) is to do ur exercise in the morning before eating breakfast. It makes your body used stored energy (fat) and gets you ripped!

15. tinkerbella122

tinkerbella122 Regular Member

Student
    wow ~! I can only do 400 single skips :rolleyes:

16. ploppers

ploppers Regular Member

haha, yes skipping can be fun though! I actually look forward to skipping and I think it's something that can be quickl improved. Right now, I am able to skip on average 50 more per week (Dbl skips in 5 mins) and it's been a great help to lighter feet and beter footwork.

Btw: I read that ur one of the most fit players in GuangZhou, congrats :D.

17. ruth1

ruth1 Regular Member

Student Athlete
    Ha. :) Thanks ploppers. Yeah the whole camp is buzzing about the article. We tend to get excited when we see our names and pictures. In the first picture I'm the one in yellow furthest from the camera. In that pic, we're doing an extremely difficult exercise to work on our quads and get power and to get muscle to protect our knees.

This morning we did it again. We do a free standing squat for 2 minutes. Rest 1 minute. Then squat again for 3 mintues. Rest 1.5 minutes. Then one more time for 4 minutes straight. If your legs start shaking, you're doing it right.

And I agree that skipping makes your feet faster on the court. And for those who can't skip, no troubles. After just one week of practicing 300 double jumps a day, I improved my overall skipping test. I'm up to 557 in 6 minutes. Up from 427 just last week. So hang in there. It gets easier. And I can't begin to describe the overall exercise it does for your body. It works forearms, wrists, triceps, legs, ankles, calves, and your endurance.

This week will be our second hardest week. After it's done, I'll update with more exercises to improve fitness.

18. Daylightkiller

Daylightkiller Regular Member

Student
    you can also try frog jumps around a few courts, :) my coach makes me do them whenever i miss a certain amount when training as a sort of punishment. It burns ur legs up like hell

19. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Check out some amazing skipping videos here:
    http://www.buddyleejumpropes.com/video.htm

One of the videos has Buddy Lee (an ex-olympic wrestler and USOC jump rope condition consultant) working with the US 96 olympic badminton team. Unfortunately, the badminton players seem to suck compared to the kids in some of the other videos!

20. White_Gemini91

White_Gemini91 Regular Member

OMG dont do frog jumps!! i did that once and my coach said do NOT frog jump because it can damage ur knee caps very surverely, i'm serious. My mate did that and he couldnt walk anymore..... SAD AZ!! dunt do it!!!!