Arm Pain

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by kagen, Jun 29, 2005.

1. kagen

kagen Regular Member

Hi,

Been reading the forum awhile now, but haven't posted anything. :)
    Here's my problem, I use to play badminton once a week, but lately I have begin to play more. But the problem is my arm is hurting everytime when I play consecutively day. But if I play badminton say on Friday, by Monday is ok to play. So usually a 2 day rest is fine.

If I do play consecutively days, I get aches and spasm in the whole arm. The worst is I can actually hear my heart beating thru the arm and it starts shacking. :confused:

Some say I have wrong grip, but I show them how I hold it and they said is the right grip. So has anyone have this problem before? or any1 can help me out?

2. swgiant

swgiant Regular Member

believe it or not, my dad plays everyday but without a proper grip and footwork. he plays the badminton since young at the outdoor and rural area... and now he is nearly 50 but still get strong... all he does take a multivitamin and bone care pills... and drink a lot of milks..

3. loverush

loverush Regular Member

I believe that pain is just due to muscle growth, which is the same pain that body builders would feel.
    Eat more protein (to aid in muscle recovery) and a multi vitamin wouldn't hurt.
    You may also need to focus more on your swing if you are having arm problems. A correct swing usually does not lead to pain, since you can hit the shuttle with power effortlessly.

4. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

oooooooooooooopppppppssss ( is that 15 charachters)?

#4 Eurasian =--(O), Jun 30, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2005
  5. kagen

kagen Regular Member

Thanks for advise.

Never have I taken any multi vitamin pill and I hate milk :p cause I get diarrhea from it.:mad:

I might go try some vitamin. If I have an incorrectly swing, does it hurt immediately or usually the next day? Because mine usually hurt the next play day? Doesn't hurt the first day when I'm playing. :confused:

With power, I have no problem. I can hit clearing easily and usually when someone smashes, I return the shuttle back to the rear court easily (Doubles).

Also my tension on my string is pretty low, maybe around 18-19. Would that take into consideration? I'm already thinking of re-string my racq to higher.

6. Aotis

Aotis Regular Member

Student
    how old are you? and are you still growing?
    specifically where is the pain? pain at the joint area is a bad sign, pain at the muscle area shouldn't be a problem

7. kagen

kagen Regular Member

Close to 30 :crying: - Wish I was still growing :p

Is kinda wierd, Is more like ache but also abit of pain. It's the whole arm. But usually starts from the bicep, then goes thru the whole arm.

Eventually my arm feels jelly and starts to shake by itself (Thats when the spasm kicks in). Also sometime is difficult just to lift my arm.

As I say it, no pain watever so if I play one day. Is always the second day in a row. :(

Oh.. also if it starts hurting while during playing. If I stop, there is no pain at all. Is just when I start swing the racq.

#7 kagen, Jul 1, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2005
  8. quarian

quarian Regular Member

Advise you to go see a doctor to check. Muscle pain from micro tears and the tissue repairing itself resulting in a bigger muscle is one thing but your arm feeling like jelly and getting spasms sounds extreme. Why take a risk with your body like that. Ask the doctor, you may be over-exerting or it may develop to something more serious if you don't confirm with the Doctor how much is too much.

9. adidas_lee

adidas_lee Regular Member

Regional sales manager
    Hi Kagen,
    I m 50 yrs old man. I used to play this game since young, but I dont feel the pain,since I play it almost everyday. Recently, I reduce it to three or four times because of work commitments. Did u stretch your arm and muscles before u play this game? Try some static and dynamic stretching before u play. It will help definitely. Use yr flat palm with yr arm straight and press against the wall and hold it for 15 to 20 sec and repeat it for a couple of times. This will help yr arm muscle to stretch. Besides, do u have enough carbo intake about 2 hrs before u play the game? Low glucose level can make one go jelly and wobbly!!!

10. checkthemc

checkthemc Regular Member

None/Student
    I had this problem before. (If it is starting with the lower bicep, nearer to the elbow, then spreads to the middle of the bicep, then throughout the arm). You can have the correct grip but still swing wrong. Two things.1. Try to use as little of the arm as possible and as much of the forarm and wrist. Your swing should be smooth. 2. Relax your arm completely until contact. Don't worry if the shuttle isnt going as far as usual. Try to get the timing right.

11. pengu1ns

pengu1ns Regular Member

er...
    Yo, thats happened to me on a slightly lower scale recently because i went from 2 months of none at all, to a few hours straight in a couple of days. So now a muscle/thing on my forearm is a bit sore sometimes. The not so hidden meaning behind this is that ive done too much in too short a space of time.
    I would suggest either a new arm or an easier transition.

12. kagen

kagen Regular Member

Sorry for the late reply, been busy last few months. Thanks for the replys, very helpful. But you could be right, cause I use to play tennis alot, maybe is due to the way I swing the racquet? Recently the pain has disappear.

During this time, I have been taking Calcium tablet as I dont drink alot of milk. I also avoid playing two days in a row, the last step I took was smash abit softer. When I smash I'm more of an arm swing than wrist. Hence maybe I'm pulling my arms too much?

Now I'm enjoying the game alot without pain :cool: but another problem arise...
    ppl are returning my smashes easier :crying:
    Use to be a powerplayer, but now more of control player hehe.

So thanks to every1 who helped ;)

13. keeprocking

keeprocking Regular Member

There was a recent post by 'mussy' (I hope I have the user name right :p) on this forum. He has listed some hand exercises which I think might help you.

14. kagen

kagen Regular Member

Sorry to bring up this old post but it might help some players with the same problem as I am having.

After 4 years, started to play again with the correct grip and hopefully correct technique (Pronation and Supination) the pain is nearly gone. But occasionally I still get pain, may be due to old habit or just playing too much atm. I recommend anyone beginner who are serious to get a coach if u have the money, some1 advance to show you the correct grip or check out the above website. At first with the correct grip, I wasn't getting any power but after awhile you will get more power with less strength.

Ops and don't forget to warmup (at least 10 minutes of stretching b4 play).

#14 kagen, Feb 13, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  15. lynx101

lynx101 Regular Member

I've got shoulder pains after playing yesterday (I hadn't played in a while). Also, I didn't do any stretches before playing- just having a casual rally was considered as a warmup :rolleyes:. I'll have to check out the grip guide.

16. shuttleheaven

shuttleheaven New Member

Doctor
    I have been playing badminton regularly for over a couple of years now and I still get pain in the arm; in the biceps area which is relieved if if I press on it. Also after a couple of hours of vigorous games, I start to feel a pain in the back of my elbow, right in the middle, lateral to the head of the ulna. The pains are relieved with a couple of days of rest but are back within 30 mins of playing each and every time. Will an adjustable strap above the elbow help in such a situation.

17. Captn'sparrow

Captn'sparrow New Member

student
    pain

sorry i am opening this again...bt dis pain is creating a lot of trouble for me. i have started playing lately.. like 6 months.
    i have exactly the same problem as yours....starts from lower bicep....spreads throughout arm....shaking n jelly like.. :crying: i am a hard hitter when comes to smash...i have consulted for the grip...its correct. i do proper warm up...have tried rests..15 days and even a month long rest. what do i do?:confused:

18. lenatsider

lenatsider New Member

Writer
    Most Badminton players are struggling with this problem. Last week I read some other thread that also speaking about the same problem. Arm pain, Knee pain etc are the major problem happening for badminton players. So take rest. That is the best remedy for this
    :)

19. Daniel13

Daniel13 New Member

School
    Hi I have also been experiencing these problems while I play badminton. I play for 1 hour every day in the morning with a short stretch. I have tried resting my arm for a week and it seemed to get better but when I played for a long time it came back. Plz help I want to play badminton without this pain

20. Nova89

Nova89 Regular Member

A lot of things actually can be the problem... it's more on HOW you play. Anyone can say they play badminton but how they play badminton is what makes the difference on getting arm injuries.

Competetive badminton demands a lot.

PROPER SWING FORM

You may think that your form when swinging is correct but it might not be. Seeking a good coach might help or perhaps ask someone who knows what he's/she's doing to watch you and correct your mistakes.

CORRECT GRIPPING

Learn the different ways to grip the racket.
    How tight you grip might be another reason why. You will beat up your arm if you grip too tight and your returns will be poor as you will be struggling pretty much to approach the birdie with stiff muscles.

Excercise

Do some stretching before your game. Even during the days you dont play you need to run and strengthen your legs. Why do I say the legs when its your arm that is in trouble? It can be a lot of running especially w/o proper footwork and you'll be overworking your arms to reach well placed returns.

It will all come down to your FOOTWORK When you get it right with the correct swinging forms/approach aka techniques you'll learn that the amount of force you have to put on your swings are not that much.

Just a side note, in advanced stage our problems have nothing to do with the arms anymore. It's most of the time our knee joints. It's a heavy difference when deciding to take a step, the time in which it takes for you to step forward one step can be the time that determines whether you win or lose the rally. the stress we put on our knees is just :(