Lee Hyun Il

Discussion in 'Singapore Open 2005 / Malaysia Open 2005' started by weeyet, Jul 1, 2005.

1. weeyet

weeyet Regular Member

Engineer / Freelance pianist
    Looks very dangerous now, defeated the 4th and 5th seeds.. A great come back and warning to all prior to WC and Malaysia Open!

Round 1: beat 10*Boonsak Ponsana, 15-7, 15-1
    Round 2: beat Lee Tsuen Seng, 13-15, 15-7, 15-4
    Round 3: beat 4*Lee Chong Wei, 15-13, 6-15, 15-4
    Quaterfinal: beat 5*Bao Chunlai, 15-10, 15-4
    Semifnal: vs 7*Chen Hong, 50%-50%

Attached Files:

#1 weeyet, Jul 1, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2005
  2. unregistered

unregistered Regular Member

he has always been my favourite player.

3. weeyet

weeyet Regular Member

How Lee HI stole the limelight...

Archive 14 July 2000:

Korea's Lee Hyun Il caused the shock of the tournament so far when he defeated China's rising star Ji Xinpeng in an impressive straight games victory.

The youngster's potential was brought to the fore during Korea's Thomas Cup campaign, and Lee stole the headlines when he disposed of Malaysia's Ong Ewe Hock.

In a thrilling match, 21-year-old Lee showed he was in first-class form, and had no real problems against third seed and Japan Open champion Ji, clinching the match 15/7, 15/5.

He goes on to face Fung Permadi in the quarter-finals, who ended Su Jun's chances of grabbing his first title since the World Championships over a year ago. Permadi, 32, showed that there's still plenty of fight in him despite being pushed to three games by the world champion. Losing the first game 13/15, he clawed back into contention winning a close second game, and then went for the kill in the third, final score 13/15, 17/14, 15/4.

4. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

Sweet! Although I doubt that Lee will actually have 50:50 against CH. But nothing is impossible and I would rather see him playing in the final than all Chinese. And hopefully he could work his way back to the world’s top 10.

5. event

event Regular Member

I, too, am excited about Lee's chances. He disposed of Ponsana and Bao so easily, judging by the numbers. His record against Chen Hong is 2:3 and two of the defeats were back in 2000 when Lee was still a nobody and Chen was already in the top 10.

I don't particularly like Lee but I am so sick and tired of seeing all-Chinese finals in any event. I actually didn't care that I was in the only badminton power with no TV coverage of the All-England because the finals looked so dull. The women, especially, never seem to take each other to 3 games. We did have a great all-Chinese men's singles final here last year but that included Xia Xuanze in top form so how could it not be exciting?

6. ploppers

ploppers Regular Member

Heh, I agree, I truly hope that Lee will top over Chen because anothe Chen/Lin Finals would be such a bore. I also agree that Xia seems to be the only chinese MS player that used to excite me, regardless of match up (Wish he was back in top form).

7. weeyet

weeyet Regular Member

Yeah, I am looking forward to CH vs Lee HI today!!!
    Hope Lee will win, and who knows maybe Taufik will be the man in the final??
    By the way, event, are you from south korea, which part of it?

8. economet

economet Regular Member

Yes,

he is from South Korea.

9. event

event Regular Member

not FROM. Live near Seoul

10. weeyet

weeyet Regular Member

Oh, anyway, is badminton a popular sports in South Korea?

11. event

event Regular Member

It's growing all the time. It certainly has far more popularity than in Canada. Still it lags far behind what you might expect given the success of its elite players. Still for a huge majority of the population it is something only done outside without a net, like lawn darts or croquet.

There has been some investment in dedicated badminton facilities in recent years so that has really helped to make it something to take seriously for more people. At least 90% of serious players are over 30. Young people are discouraged from doing sports (except for soccer and basketball which boys of all ages play) as a hobby. I mean discouraged either passively - by say, the mood of the club dominated by older, married people - or actively as in the case of young women I've talked to who have been told, when they show up at the gym, that they should be seeking a husband rather than doing sports. All that is in the process of changing, thank goodness. Some universities now have active badminton clubs and with new public facilities with $1 admission fees, young people don't have to commit to and invest in $30/month memberships in clubs full of older people.

12. sueyen

sueyen Regular Member

he is really a good player!

13. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

This is very interesting to know.

14. economet

economet Regular Member

Pardon! Event!

I thought the question is whether Lee Hyunil is from Korea.

15. weeyet

weeyet Regular Member

care to share some info about Hyun il? did he graduate from any college or university? if yes, what did he study about?

16. economet

economet Regular Member

Lee Hyunil graduated from the Han Sports University. His university (called HanCheDae) and the university of the immortal mens doubles players Kim Dongmoon/Ha Taekwon are the best badminton teams in the whole country. Kim's University is called Wongkwang University.

So Park Sunghwan (MS, beat Lin Dan last year), Jun Jaeyoun (WS) and many other members of the Korean National Squad are at the Han Sports University. The legend Park Joobong now responsible for Japan was a professor for Badminton there many years ago.

The new Korean MD hope Lee Jaejin/Jung Jaesung are currently studying at the Wonkwang University and Sohn Seungmo (MS) are a graduate of this university.

Lee Hyunil is now playing for his home team "Kim Chun City" and received more contract money (estimated more than 150000 US$) than Kim Dongmoon when he turned preofessional after his graduation.

He had a mental slump shortly after he became World ranking No.1 in the crucial Olympic year.

At the End of the last year he must have completed a short period of military service - a duty of every Korean males.
    He even lost to a younger player called Ahn Hyunsuk in the Korean League match and completely lost his previous level of palying.

I met him at this year's German Open. His physical fitness was near zero. He lost to Lee Chongwei in two straight sets, if I remember correctly. So Lee Hyunil and Sohn Seungmo stayed at home during the Japan Open and other opens and had to undergo a physical recovery training. Sohn due to a foot surgery.

Lee Hyunil is undoubtedly the number 1 in the Korean MS.
    He decided the victory at 2003 Sudirman Cup with his win over the No. 1 of that time Chen Hong. Both Lee HI and Sohn SM missed this year's Sudirman Cup.

At 2005 Singapore Open he lost to a confident and mighty Chen Hong. But he took revenge on Lee Chongwei and Boonsak Ponsana who threw him out at Athens Olympic Games.

17. weeyet

weeyet Regular Member

Thanks a million for your info:)
    Do you know how long did Hyun-il stay out for the military service?? I guess it should be 2 years for ordinary people, right?? Or there is some exception for sportsman??

18. economet

economet Regular Member

Actually, Lee HI had to take part in a one-month military elementary education. But he can't determine the exact time point, so I presume he was a couple of months away from the training.

He won the Sudirman Cup and was also a member of the Asian Games Team's competition in Busan, Korea, in 2002. So Lee HI and Sohn SM needn't serve in the Korean Army.

Olympic medals can exempt the male players from the mandatory military service, too. (i.e. Kim DM/Ha TK and Lee Dongsoo/Yoo Yongsung)

#18 economet, Jul 3, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2005
  19. weeyet

weeyet Regular Member

I see, are you a friend of some Korean squad member or wat.... You know a lot ... or are you a korean??

20. economet

economet Regular Member

Both!
    Where are you from?