User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 17 of 19

Thread: Dave18

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    456
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Dave18

    I know, it's late for an introduction, lol. But why not. I never really gave you guys a formal introduction since I joined this forum in October of 2004.

    So this year was my last year in high school, grade 12. I needed some extra curricular activities for my university profile so i joined badminton. I was like the average joe who thought badminton was a sissy sport. I played badminton in grade 8 but did not enjoy it. I touched it again once in grade 9 when a friend told me to try it again. Again, I did not like it. Then in grade 12, the experience changed and I guess with age, I matured and actually enjoyed badminton.

    So it's been about 8 months of solid badminton training with my friend who's played for many years. Badminton is so fun with it's advantages such as meeting new people (girls in general ). So from wanting badminton as a sport to show up on my university profile, it has become a sport that I will live with forever. I can honestly say, from missing the birdie, I am an all around player now. All the hard training pays off in the end.

    This summer will be intense workouts and training to prepare myself for the tryouts in university badminton.

    Well, that's my story.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Basement Boiler Room
    Posts
    22,118
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    welcome to BF, ur just late bloomer

  3. #3
    Regular Member ants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Malaysian Citizen of the World
    Posts
    13,157
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Welcome! Just read your thread. Hows training been going?

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    456
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ants
    Welcome! Just read your thread. Hows training been going?
    Working out my legs at home to condition myself and to better prepare for the tryouts in university. Although I will barely have time to play during the summer because of full time job, I'll have to work out at home.

    I'm trying to find as much time as possible to play. I hope the training is enough.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Richmond Hill, Canada
    Posts
    305
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    wat do you mean tryouts?! there's like a badminton team for university as well?!?

  6. #6
    Regular Member ants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Malaysian Citizen of the World
    Posts
    13,157
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave18
    Working out my legs at home to condition myself and to better prepare for the tryouts in university. Although I will barely have time to play during the summer because of full time job, I'll have to work out at home.

    I'm trying to find as much time as possible to play. I hope the training is enough.
    All the best there

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    456
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ting03
    wat do you mean tryouts?! there's like a badminton team for university as well?!?
    Yes there is.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    2,214
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Welcome to BadmintonForum, Dave18! Don't forget to study hard in university so you can continue playing badminton without worrying about the costs of shuttle, Yonex rackets, thin strings etc.

    -dave

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Posts
    3,511
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Better late than never. Welcome to BF, Dave18! I think why some of us never get enamored with the sport when we're younger was because we were never exposed to quality badminton until later on in life. It's quite inspiring to watch the pros play. It's also different if one comes from a baddy playing family though. Thrill of winning a hard fought baddy game is an unparalleled experience to anything in other racquet sports.
    Last edited by cappy75; 07-22-2005 at 01:28 AM.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,302
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Exactly, badminton is such a difficult sport: mentally, physcially, tactically and technically. I would rank badminton as demanding as a girl friend .

    Quote Originally Posted by cappy75
    Thrill of winning a hard fought baddy game is an unparalleled experience to anything in other racquet sports.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    PJ, Mal
    Posts
    582
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    hey, Dave18

    let's dispense with the welcome shall we? i see we're actually the same age!!... heh! i don't suppose there's much to celebrate over that, but i do tend to get excited whenever i discover similarities that i share with others however minor they are.

    i used to dislike playing badminton when i was younger too. i remember vividly how my father used to emphasise service so much, (we did nothing but that at the park for some time) it intensified my disinterestedness. also the fact that i kept losing.. *chuckles* .. kind of like a positive feedback thing! but obviously things have changed if not i won't even be here.. i have an eagerness to improve now, but progress is still slow.

    anyway, which course are you taking in your studies, may i ask?

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    456
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anatolii
    hey, Dave18

    let's dispense with the welcome shall we? i see we're actually the same age!!... heh! i don't suppose there's much to celebrate over that, but i do tend to get excited whenever i discover similarities that i share with others however minor they are.

    i used to dislike playing badminton when i was younger too. i remember vividly how my father used to emphasise service so much, (we did nothing but that at the park for some time) it intensified my disinterestedness. also the fact that i kept losing.. *chuckles* .. kind of like a positive feedback thing! but obviously things have changed if not i won't even be here.. i have an eagerness to improve now, but progress is still slow.

    anyway, which course are you taking in your studies, may i ask?
    At first I wanted to do sciences, now I'm going into business studies.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Richmond, BC
    Posts
    19
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    hi dave, im going into grade 12 next year. I was wondering if there are badminton teams in the local uni in BC? but im pretty sure im not good enough to make the team. i want to get better..

    oh yeah, i used to not like badminton when i was younger. well.. it was when i was 6-ish and i played in an outdoor court in a park in hk..dont know if they still have those? but yeah i remember i was always on the side where the wind was against me, i can barely hit it over the net... because if i wack it too hard.. the racquet would hit the ground, cuz i was really too short for an adults racquet.. which would drive my mom nuts. it was NOT fun at all ^^"

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Posts
    3,511
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Dave's from Toronto. He won't know the baddy scenes in Vancouver. If you're interested in joining a varsity badminton team, I don't think UBC has a team per se, not sure about SFU. BCIT used to have one but not anymore. The regional colleges do field teams and are part of BCCAA. Langara, Douglas, Malaspina, and Kwantlen to name a few.

    Quote Originally Posted by YS_Po
    hi dave, im going into grade 12 next year. I was wondering if there are badminton teams in the local uni in BC? but im pretty sure im not good enough to make the team. i want to get better..

    oh yeah, i used to not like badminton when i was younger. well.. it was when i was 6-ish and i played in an outdoor court in a park in hk..dont know if they still have those? but yeah i remember i was always on the side where the wind was against me, i can barely hit it over the net... because if i wack it too hard.. the racquet would hit the ground, cuz i was really too short for an adults racquet.. which would drive my mom nuts. it was NOT fun at all ^^"

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Richmond, BC
    Posts
    19
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cappy75
    Dave's from Toronto. He won't know the baddy scenes in Vancouver. If you're interested in joining a varsity badminton team, I don't think UBC has a team per se, not sure about SFU. BCIT used to have one but not anymore. The regional colleges do field teams and are part of BCCAA. Langara, Douglas, Malaspina, and Kwantlen to name a few.
    sweet, i thought about going to kwantlen... cause it's very close to where i live and way cheaper with the same credits for first yrs as ubc (or so i heard.... )

    are the post secondary level really really above highschool? i dont have a clue...

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    RICHMOND BC...ne hot girls from richmond that plays badminton pm me ~_^
    Posts
    799
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YS_Po
    sweet, i thought about going to kwantlen... cause it's very close to where i live and way cheaper with the same credits for first yrs as ubc (or so i heard.... )

    are the post secondary level really really above highschool? i dont have a clue...
    not really queenie, i think university levels are probably lower than college levels in BC if u compare say SFU or UBC to Langara or Douglas

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    456
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    UPDATE about me:

    Well, I tried out for the university team even though I already knew the outcome, I tried and I tried hard. I only been playing for not even a year. I don't play with feather birdies so you can imagine how hard that was adjusting to playing with dead feather birdies at the tryout. So I made it to the second cut (good enough ).

    Now I've lost interest in playing because I didn't make the team and because of so much homework in first year.

    I guess I'll take a break from badminton to focus on school and workout on my stamina. The problem with the tryout was because of my stamina. They made us do drops for 10 minutes, drives for 10 minutes, clears for 10 minutes, and finally smashing for 10 minutes. You can imagine how tired my arm is. Halfway through the clearing, my arm was failing on me. Then we had to play singles and doubles and I was dead tired and could not perform as well.

    I will workout for stamina, practice with feather birdies, and next year hope to be on the team.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •