Dave18

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by Dave18, Jul 2, 2005.

1. Dave18

Dave18 Regular Member

Student
    I know, it's late for an introduction, lol. But why not. I never really gave you guys a formal introduction since I joined this forum in October of 2004.

So this year was my last year in high school, grade 12. I needed some extra curricular activities for my university profile so i joined badminton. I was like the average joe who thought badminton was a sissy sport. I played badminton in grade 8 but did not enjoy it. I touched it again once in grade 9 when a friend told me to try it again. Again, I did not like it. Then in grade 12, the experience changed and I guess with age, I matured and actually enjoyed badminton.

So it's been about 8 months of solid badminton training with my friend who's played for many years. Badminton is so fun with it's advantages such as meeting new people (girls in general :p). So from wanting badminton as a sport to show up on my university profile, it has become a sport that I will live with forever. I can honestly say, from missing the birdie, I am an all around player now. :D All the hard training pays off in the end.

This summer will be intense workouts and training to prepare myself for the tryouts in university badminton.

Well, that's my story. :eek:

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    welcome to BF, ur just late bloomer :D

3. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Welcome! Just read your thread. Hows training been going?

4. Dave18

Dave18 Regular Member

Student
    Working out my legs at home to condition myself and to better prepare for the tryouts in university. Although I will barely have time to play during the summer because of full time job, I'll have to work out at home.:crying:

I'm trying to find as much time as possible to play. I hope the training is enough.

5. ting03

ting03 Regular Member

University Student
    wat do you mean tryouts?! there's like a badminton team for university as well?!? :eek:

6. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    All the best there :)

7. Dave18

Dave18 Regular Member

Student
    Yes there is. :D

8. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Welcome to BadmintonForum, Dave18! :D Don't forget to study hard in university so you can continue playing badminton without worrying about the costs of shuttle, Yonex rackets, thin strings etc.

-dave

9. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Better late than never:D. Welcome to BF, Dave18:)! I think why some of us never get enamored with the sport when we're younger was because we were never exposed to quality badminton until later on in life. It's quite inspiring to watch the pros play. It's also different if one comes from a baddy playing family though. Thrill of winning a hard fought baddy game is an unparalleled experience to anything in other racquet sports.

#9 cappy75, Jul 21, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2005
  10. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Exactly, badminton is such a difficult sport: mentally, physcially, tactically and technically. I would rank badminton as demanding as a girl friend :D:D:D :eek:.

11. Anatolii

Anatolii Regular Member

hey:), Dave18

let's dispense with the welcome shall we?:D i see we're actually the same age:D!!... heh! i don't suppose there's much to celebrate over that, but i do tend to get excited whenever i discover similarities that i share with others however minor they are:eek:.

i used to dislike playing badminton when i was younger too. i remember vividly how my father used to emphasise service so much, (we did nothing but that at the park for some time) it intensified my disinterestedness. also the fact that i kept losing.. *chuckles* .. kind of like a positive feedback thing! but obviously things have changed:D if not i won't even be here.. i have an eagerness to improve now, but progress is still slow:p.

anyway, which course are you taking in your studies, may i ask?

12. Dave18

Dave18 Regular Member

Student
    At first I wanted to do sciences, now I'm going into business studies.

13. YS_Po

YS_Po Regular Member

hi dave, im going into grade 12 next year. I was wondering if there are badminton teams in the local uni in BC? but im pretty sure im not good enough to make the team. i want to get better.. :cool:

oh yeah, i used to not like badminton when i was younger. well.. it was when i was 6-ish and i played in an outdoor court in a park in hk..dont know if they still have those? but yeah i remember i was always on the side where the wind was against me, i can barely hit it over the net... because if i wack it too hard.. the racquet would hit the ground, cuz i was really too short for an adults racquet.. which would drive my mom nuts. it was NOT fun at all ^^"

14. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Dave's from Toronto. He won't know the baddy scenes in Vancouver:p. If you're interested in joining a varsity badminton team, I don't think UBC has a team per se, not sure about SFU. BCIT used to have one but not anymore. The regional colleges do field teams and are part of BCCAA. Langara, Douglas, Malaspina, and Kwantlen to name a few.

15. YS_Po

YS_Po Regular Member

sweet, i thought about going to kwantlen... cause it's very close to where i live and way cheaper with the same credits for first yrs as ubc (or so i heard....:confused: )

are the post secondary level really really above highschool? i dont have a clue...

16. SmashingBird

SmashingBird Regular Member

Student, Badminton-student
    RICHMOND BC...ne hot girls from richmond that play
    not really queenie, i think university levels are probably lower than college levels in BC if u compare say SFU or UBC to Langara or Douglas

17. Dave18

Dave18 Regular Member

Student
    UPDATE about me:

Well, I tried out for the university team even though I already knew the outcome, I tried and I tried hard. I only been playing for not even a year. I don't play with feather birdies so you can imagine how hard that was adjusting to playing with dead feather birdies at the tryout. So I made it to the second cut (good enough :p).

Now I've lost interest in playing because I didn't make the team and because of so much homework in first year. :crying:

I guess I'll take a break from badminton to focus on school and workout on my stamina. The problem with the tryout was because of my stamina. They made us do drops for 10 minutes, drives for 10 minutes, clears for 10 minutes, and finally smashing for 10 minutes. You can imagine how tired my arm is. Halfway through the clearing, my arm was failing on me. Then we had to play singles and doubles and I was dead tired and could not perform as well.

I will workout for stamina, practice with feather birdies, and next year hope to be on the team. :)

18. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Good job, Dave18 ... the first step in improvement is recognizing what areas to improve in, eh? :D

Thanks for the update. Study hard and get back to badminton when you can.

-dave

19. Daave

Daave Regular Member

Badminton!
    :crying: DAVE,why you ot writening in "Hi everyone"?:confused: