One of those days---

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Jinryu, Jul 2, 2005.

1. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

Librarian, RacketsportsMontreal.ca owner
    My badminton day was terrible. We normally book 8 hour sessions at a local gym, but today, the college had a gas leak. This most annoying fire alarm device went off, and we just sorta marched out of there, not even sure if it was a false alarm (because there had been false alarms in the past). Firefighters stormed the building a few minutes later, something like 6 heavy trucks and at least two command vans. In total, I counted at least 30 firefighters.

Amazing really, when you consider it—but I guess it makes sense that the government likes to protect its investments.

So anyway, a lot of us still had our stuff in the locker rooms, but we were told that we were under no circumstances allowed to enter the premises. A rather burly looking fireman with dirty fire jacket a big axe told me this specifically.

It was a very unsatisfying experience—for one thing, a lot of people had just arrived for the ‘nightime shift’ of players—so they’d been playing for maybe 30 minutes. And then, we were ushered out, and they weren’t allowed to take their bags out of the locker rooms since it was off limits. Some waited around for a least an hour before just sneaking back into the college to get our stuff. (We figured it was safe since the gas leak was at the other end of the building.)

So some of those people, first time clients, were apparently not very impressed. I tried to appease them with free pizza, but....

Anyway, it was all so badly badly timed, especially when I’m supposed to be taking in people to promote the upcoming tournament. (One player asked me for tournament brochures, since he got tired of waiting for the firemen to allow us back in, but unfortunately, all my brochures were in the bag.)

Just as bad, I'm so used to playing 8 hour sessions that I usually pace myself so that I have enough energy to last-- so 4 hours of gametime was just, well, it sucked. It wasn't enough.

I left two hours later after sneaking in and getting our stuff out. I’m gonna demand for a refund for my gym rental fee, and if they don’t give me one, heads will roll…:mad::mad:

2. Devilicious

Devilicious Regular Member

student
    Oh dear. That really sucks.:(

3. ErrBerr

ErrBerr Regular Member

Student
    daaaanng Jinryu.. Sorry to hear that buddy.. :( But jeez man.. they should give you a refund..

4. Dave18

Dave18 Regular Member

Student
    That really sounds like a nightmare. :crying:

5. Neosakai

Neosakai Regular Member

Unemployed =(
    I would get a big axe and ask them for a refund for

1) The court rental fees, all of it plus some more for good luck.
    2) Your equipment
    3) Your friend's equipment.
    4) everybody else's equipment.
    5) refund money for making everyone mad
    6) and some more money to make them feel sorry :D

6. pengu1ns

pengu1ns Regular Member

er...
    AND A CAR!!!
    ...... What? :eek:

7. Neosakai

Neosakai Regular Member

Unemployed =(
    Car!? Not just car!

They need to refund cars, boats, airplanes, and helicopters!

Well yeah, what are they gonna do about the cars that were set on fire as well :p

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Man, it sucks big time, and especially just when u try to promote ur tourny. However, I think most ppl should understand the situation. No one should risk their lives, just because they want to do some work out, right?

Man, hope no one reports "earth quake" after they see/hear a "LB dive"... :D

9. Neosakai

Neosakai Regular Member

Unemployed =(
    If cooler left his bag in the locker room, I'd think he'll rush in and get it... Some people spent thousands of dollars for badminton...

Imagining it all gone! :crying:

10. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

Earthquake may be good, it would let us get a hundred or so birds that have been trapped in the ceiling beams.

11. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

Seriously though, I'm really looking forward to palying this coming saturday again. I haven't played since last saturday, and sadly, because I'm working full time during the summer, that along with other badminton activites (non-playing badminton activities) have seriously cut down my badminton time.

Like I said, nothing worse than planning on playing 8, pacing yourself to last 8 hours, and then only getting half that.

12. Devilicious

Devilicious Regular Member

student
    That's fully understandable. Well, just tell yourself that it could be worse: longing to play badminton for one entire week to find out that the session (no matter how long/short) has been cancelled is wwaaaaayyyy worse. :(

13. silentlight

silentlight Regular Member

student/programmer
    I hear ya, a few times in the past, me and my friends would go to our regular baddy gym only to see the small piece of paper posted stating that the gym would be close for such and such days. It doesn't get much worse than that peeps.

14. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I used to post an old story, which might make ur case to be "not too bad":

I drove 50 miles to a college gym, and hope to get an afternoon of fun. We found out there was a sign on the front desk "going to lunch, be back in 15 min" (or 30? can't remember). So, we were like, fine, give them a break. Some of us started to change, warm up, or do drills w/o nets.

Time passed by, 30 min, 45 min, 1 hr, etc... No one every came back. Finally, we gave up hope, and realized that sign was nothing but a lie. On top of that, I had to drive another 50 miles back home, with no food, heavy traffic, and anger... :(

15. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

Were there nets at least?

16. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Not at all. If there were nets, who cares about the front desk? :p The nets and poles were locked in the stock room, which is the only value for the front desk person. :cool: