Returning Drops.....

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Neosakai, Jul 3, 2005.

1. Neosakai

Neosakai Regular Member

Unemployed =(
    Today I was playing with people that I could not beat, but I was hoping to get some points. My opponent were only doing drops an clears, but I still couldn't catch up to them :eek:..

Like for example when the guy did a clear, so I cleared him back, and he made another clear, I returned it with another clear, and he did a drop.. I RAN as fast as I could from where I did the clear, but I couldn't return it. Like almost every time that happened...

I'm wondering... Is it possible for anyone to return those shots? Or do you have to be really phsyically fit?
    If so.... What do I need to do to improve on this?

2. cgote16

cgote16 Regular Member

student/ breeder
    fitness really helps with that type of play, also good foot work! but running like this can be avoided, did u hit drops your self? try moving him around the court. When he/she is on the run when there hitting, its harder for them to make good/accurate shots. Even try slices to put them off guard...

ps. do u live in Richmond hill Ontario...i live in Ajax, might see u around 1 time

3. Dave18

Dave18 Regular Member

Student
    With experience, you'll start to get ready to prepare for those shots. At first when I started to play badminton, those drop shots made by my opponent made me struggle to go get it. Now, from experience and fitness, I could reach drop shots with ease. :)

4. xofrevlis

xofrevlis Regular Member

Student
    A good length in your clears should give you sufficient time to get back into base position to prepare for the next shot. If you're having to run all the way to the net from the baseline then I would assume that your clears are short, giving your opponents the time to push and pull you around the court, making you play catch up.

But then again, your MP30 @ 23x25lbs and adequate racket skills to match should be able to get your clears from baseline to baseline without all that much effort. Or so it's the case for me with the same combination. ;)
    So if it's footwork then try improving that to get behind the shuttle so that you can take the shot in a better position and also be able to recover quicker.

5. winstonchan

winstonchan Regular Member

CBO (Chief Babysitting Officer)
    Fitness & Footwork.

After you do a clear from your baseline, get back up to your base position (centre or mid-length of your court I presume) as quickly as you can. Then, whether your opponent returns with a drop or another clear, you only have half the court length to travel. And yes, as xofrevlis said, a good clear should give you sufficient time to get back to base.

6. Neosakai

Neosakai Regular Member

Unemployed =(
    I forgot to mention I'm very short so my reach is limited... I'm usually prepared for the drops through experience. But I still couldn't return it because I wasn't fast enough :\
    If you stay too close to the net, the opponent can clear you and you'd have trouble getting it.. If you stayed too far back, he can drop... :rolleyes:

Is there anyone that can reach those shots without any hardcore fitness? Because I've only been doing some light exercises and training...

and yeah I live in richmond hill ontario

7. xofrevlis

xofrevlis Regular Member

Student
    Unfortunately being short means that you'll have to base your game on movement a lot more than the taller players due to shorter reach. I stand at 167cms and footwork is absolutely vital for my style of play.
    Yet at the same time, drop or clear, as long as you're at your base position then you shouldn't need to take more than 3 or 4 steps to reach the shuttle anyway.
    I don't think hardcore fitness is necessary either.

8. Pball

Pball Regular Member

Try doing the drop/lift drill with a partner. This should help you improve footwork.

Another question comes to mind.. are you properly set up for the clear. Because wrong foot position during the clear would make it slower for you to get back to position. I say this only because you mention that you already anticipate the drop but yet can't reach it.

regards

9. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Basically, I think his clears are much better than yours. Better in the sense that his clears, probably attacking clears, are of such good length that you have difficulty getting to return his drops. Your difficulty in subsequent clears also points to this. Also, you could be having some difficulty reading his drops and attacking clears, making it difficult for you to reach his drops and/or his attacking clears. You can try to improve your attacking clears, even when you are out of position. Drops are useless without good attacking clears-your opponent will not respect you and will wait for you at the net.

10. keith_aquino

keith_aquino Regular Member

part-time student, full-time baddy fanatic
    Looks like you need to work on your footwork. What I would do is to do the same thing to him and see what he does. Deception is probably one of the most important tools to gain improvement in this dilemma.

11. Neosakai

Neosakai Regular Member

Unemployed =(
    Thanks for all the replies :D

Hmm... Because I'm just.... THAT short. I think I actually take 2-3 more steps compare to average badminton players. My footwork definitly needs more work. Though I just can't think of a way to boost the speed of my steps :(..

A good point from taneepak... I also think his clears are much better than mine. His clears are alot quicker than mine for some reason... I always aim my clears as far as I could. But his clears are fast and deep... :mad:

12. tinkerbella122

tinkerbella122 Regular Member

Student
    Maybe you could try moving your base a little more towards the front of the court if you are having trouble with the shots played at the net .

Also , in order to do better clears , you need to be in the right position ( with the shuttlecock infront of you ) .
    Does this mean that he caught you a little bit off guard with his clears ? Because it's a lot harder to hit good , decent clears if you are out of position/shape for it .

13. Neosakai

Neosakai Regular Member

Unemployed =(
    Well if I move forward, he'll do another deep deep clear and I'll have to move back....

and about the clear.... I'm not sure if I even have enough strength to hit a FAST, yet deep clear. Either that or I just don't know how.
    But while I'm being pushed, like for some reason if the shuttlecock got behind me somehow, I couldn't do a decent clear if I was in that position... So what do you guys do if the shuttle cock is behind you?

14. winstonchan

winstonchan Regular Member

CBO (Chief Babysitting Officer)
    Stick your arm up, leap a step back and hit a forehand clear, try hit the shuttle when you're airbourne, assuming you can reach the shuttle in time and have a strong enough wrist. Option 2 turn your body round take a step and do a back hand clear, assuming you have a strong enough wrist for backhand stroke. If neither are possible then nothing much you can do I guess.

A word of advice. Practice footwork. Particularly important for short to medium height player. Practice clears, so you can time and hit the shuttle hard and far. Timing is very important. If you time the impact well, you don't need a lot of power to drive the shuttle to opponent baseline.

15. Dave18

Dave18 Regular Member

Student
    How short is short? With more experience, time will seem to slow down when you play. ;) Lol. It's true.

16. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

You may have to do something like this.
    Footwork and technique and practice....

Attached Files:

17. Neosakai

Neosakai Regular Member

Unemployed =(
    I'm like 5'0..... :crying:

I wish I can do that at home

18. ploppers

ploppers Regular Member

Well u can definately work on ur quickness by skipping and sprints. I'm sure u can do that on the street :D

19. Neosakai

Neosakai Regular Member

Unemployed =(
    lol.... If I do that... Wouldn't people stare at me as if I'm nuts? Sprinting in the street I mean....:confused:

20. tinkerbella122

tinkerbella122 Regular Member

Student
    Maybe a threadmill would help ?