Random pair up (raffle) tournament a good idea?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by LazyBuddy, Jul 3, 2005.

1. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Hope this topic was not recently discussed.

One of my local club here is going to have a tourny to promote badminton as well as the club itself. Due to limited court time, the tourny will be setup for doubles only. Flight A will be single elimination, and Flight B/C will be consolation setup.

However, the issue bothers me (as well as several others) is, you can NOT register as a pair. The club management will assign a partner to u, base on the registration they received. The intention is to balance out the pairs, i.e. better player team up with weaker partner, and try not to have a big blown out type of games.

However, to me, double is a team game, which means team work is the key. If say, I even don't know my parnter, and never played together before, how I am going to play? :confused: I don't mind lose in early round, but I do want the tourny has some meaning for itself. I want to give out my best, try to have fun, but being competitive at the same time. If 2 players end up look stupid, and keep knocking into each other or blocking each other's way, I don't see any good result will come out. Never have to metion bad team work could result into seriously injury or damage of equipment (racket clash). :eek: :(

I want to propose to the management team, and see if any chance we can just setup a regular double tourny, or at least some changes. Do I over concern about this issue? Is there any other ideas / advice ppl would like to bring up to the table???

Many many thnx...

Regards,

LB ^___^

2. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

Librarian, RacketsportsMontreal.ca owner
    I guess it comes down to if people are entering the tournament for fun or if they're entering it to win. Even if it were for fun though, it'd have to be a pretty tightly knit group that could draw enjoyment out of the experience (regardless of lack of team work or lack of winning).

Weather I was the higher level or the lower level player, it could potentially be very frustrating to work under big skill level differences. These kinds of first time arrangements feel like they're more suitable for 'regular club session play', to meet new people, learn something, etc, rather than straight for serious aim in a serious tournament.

But, if it's all for fun, maybe people won't mind. At least, if they don't like the idea, they just won't sign up, right?

3. adidas_lee

adidas_lee Regular Member

Regional sales manager
    Random pairing

Hi,
    Random pairing may seem silly some time but it is fair n fun. some time u win but some time u lose too. This will depend on yr luck man. I think yr club is organising this tourny for fun. Serious competitive game dont have this type of arrangement. Well, why not enjoy it. Good luck to u.
    Lee;)

4. Viper2005

Viper2005 Regular Member

Play Badminton Everyday!
    Great Opportunity to meet other players.

My gym has these random pairing games every monday and thursdays. It is great!
    Here is how we do it.
    Everyone who wants to enter must arrive before a set time, say 6pm.
    Then everyone put $10 into a POT for entry fee.
    Handicap points will be given for A players (-6 points), B players (-3 points), C players (0 points), D players not allowed as they will only be donating their money. :)
    Maximum of 16 players are allowed to play.
    Names are randomly drawn and paired up with another. Handicap points are added up. Games starts. Final winners take the money in the POT.
    Winners handicap points will increase by 1 point. So if a player A & Player B won, their handicap point for next POT will be (-7) and (-4), respectively.
    As the name POT is very popular in San Gabriel Valley Badminton Club.
    I have won a few myself and raised my game up a level, plus I got to know all the top players in the gym. Great ICE BREAKER for new comers.:)

5. Break-My-String

Break-My-String Regular Member

If you don't know the calibre of the players, you could always randomly draw them in a group of 4s. Then each group plays a round robin game to 15 points only, and then sum up their points. Top 2 goes to flight-A, bottom 2 goes to flight-B. Then again, randomly draw for their partners.

To make it totally uncontrolled, you can try randomly drawing all partners & opponents for each round.

Example, 16 players, 3 rounds
    1) you will need a deck of cards
    2) seperate the deck into 3 piles
    -aces to fours
    -fives to eights
    -nines to queens
    3) each player draws one card from each pile (ie/ has 3 cards)
    4) Round 1 (aces - fours)
    - all the aces play on one court, reds against the blacks
    - all the twos plays on another court, reds against the blacks
    - etc
    5) Round 2 (fives to eights)... etc

To make an exciting finals, for both situations, you can always sum up the player's individual scores and the top 4 gets to play a final match best out of 3 games to 15 points.

Cheers!

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Thnx for all the replies so far. I don't care about win or lose or by how much. I definitely agree, if we have enough games for each person (say, 3 or +), it will be a great idea for social purpose. However, the thing bugs me is: Flight A is single elimination, once u lose, u r bye bye. Flight B is a bit better, as C is the consolation. Therefore, some ppl already complained and don't willing to give up $20 for just 1-2 games, especially they might NEVER get a chance to really play due to lack of team work.

Well, guess i will wait and see how the tourny comes out to be. ;)

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    That's actually the thing i am a bit worried. I hate to see a tourny got cancelled, due to lack of participants (i.e. ppl don't support the idea, etc). :confused:

8. Break-My-String

Break-My-String Regular Member

Correct if I am wrong, it sounds like players are guaranteed only 2 matches, each match consisting of only one game to 15? If that is the case, an entry fee of $20 will be hard to justify!

If your tournament gurantees 2 matches, minimum four games, then my suggestion of random draw for 3 rounds is a possibility, as long as each round consist of only one match, one game to 15, with no setting.

When you sum up all the player's scores after 3 rounds, instead of playing for a final match, the top scorers can be first to pick a number which correspond to a door prize, because it is for fun, you don't want the top scorers to get to "choose their prize", rather, be the first to "draw for a prize".;)

Tell me some numbers, ex/ # of courts, # hours for the gym, guestimate of the number of players, may be I can help further.

Cheers!