flexible shaft

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by dave, Dec 30, 2001.

1. dave

dave Guest

Will a racquet with a flexible shaft generate more power than a racquet with a stiff shaft?

2. pete c

pete c Guest

A flexible shaft generally adds more power to the shot. The shaft flexes at the moment of impact with the shuttle so that the racket head initially falls slightly behind the racket handle before catching up to it (irrespective of the position of the racket).

One draw back of the flex is a lose of control because the flex also causes a time lag. Thus advance players who can generate their own power usually prefer stiffer rackets.

I use a stiffer racket for doubles, and a more flexible one for singles. However, keep in mind that personal preferences are just that, personal.

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    depends on how hard you hit. if you hit very hard, you lose power. if you don't hit too hard, the flexiness give you more power.

4. john.

john. Guest

kwun : vg point you made...

that means youd' have to be able to smash faster than the racket recoiling/flexing back!

so in other words... just buy a very stiff racket~

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    john.

actually, on the contrary. if you cannot hit hard, using a very stiff racket will also lose power, it'd be like hitting the bird with a hard wooden board. without strength you won't be able to take advantage of the stiff "bounce" of the racket. but if you have a lot of strength, the stiff bounciness will enhance your power.

so in other words. choose a racket based on your own strength.

incidentally, this coincide with how most racket company rates their racket. stiffer rackets are usually rated for advanced, hard hitting players. while lower end rackets are rated for the intermediate/beginning players.

i have experienced this while i grew as a badminton player. i used to use a Iso900 SR, with a relatively flexible shaft, i was able to use it pretty effectively. however, as i grew stronger, i find that it was too flexible, i lose power and control as the racket was flexing too much. i moved onto a Iso900 SS. the SS is stiffer and give me more power and control.

nowadays, i sometimes use a Ti-10, which is somewhat similar to the SS in terms of balance, but much much stiffer and heavier. i can only use it on a "good day" when i am hitting consistently hard. or else i will find that i am not able to power it.

6. Gladius

Gladius Regular Member

Design Engineer
    Yes Kwun,

a lot of people miss the point on this .... That a stiffer racket is not always better for everyone.

Its not only about strength. Its also about the speed of the swing in one's stroke too. The faster and harder a stroke, the more efficient is the use of a stiff racket. And vice versa.

7. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

I agree totally! U shoudl have a sound tech to play with a stiffer racket. if not flexi is the best option!I am thinking of buying the Iso 900 SS from u! But then.. if u sell it only. I shall mail u buddy!