User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by storkbill
    planning to ask someone i know who works in Bangkok to get some racquets (but he doesn't know anything about racquets).

Can i confirm that First Sport, if you ask for genuine Yonex racquets, they won't try and cheat you and sell you a fake? Also, is there 7% VAT refund.

The prices quoted eg NS8000 at 3700, is this before VAT refund if there is one?

Thanks
    Hi,
    Not save your money enough. if need VAT refund I think you should go to buy at YY shop at Central world Plaza not so far from National S. maybe they will refund to you. and all YY recket they sale it REAL or FAKE Please you can check before you pay.
    Last edited by WEERADEJ; 08-11-2005 at 03:42 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just came back from Bangkok. It was quite a task to find the First sports... taxi drivers don't know it, and there's no sign saying "first sport" in front of the shop - only thai text. Soi Chula 5 (road on which this shop is) is very small, and most of the local people don't know where it is. My advice: take the BTS Skytrain to National Stadium stop, get down to the Rama I road (Skytrain track goes above that road), walk this road to west (away from the Skytrain track) until on the left hand side you'll see a small sign "Soi Chula 5". Very near that sign there's some sport shops, and one of them is First sports.

From Yonex in Thailand: all official Yonex shops have a sign saying that they can't and won't sell racquets with the same price to foreigners as they do to Thai people (I checked this only in WTC, but same applies to other Yonex shops). Therefore e.g. NS8000 costs 5990 Baht (about 120 ) and AT800 4990 Baht (100 ). You may also buy maximum 3 racquets at one time. From these shops you can claim back the 7 % VAT, but prices are some 40 % higher than First Sports. I did check some department stores (Zen in WTC, some shops in Silom road), but their prices were very close to Yonex official shop prices.

From First Sports shop: there's only one lady who speaks a little bit of English. If you go there, you really need to know what you are looking for - questions are quite futile, because they don't understand them. And there's no VAT refund in this shop. Also if you only buy one racquet, they'll show you the same pricing as in WTC Yonex shop. After hard bargaining a farangi (=foreigner) might get lower (=same as locals) price too, but I think it depends on what mood this lady is on .

For 3 x NS8000 I paid 3700 Baht in First Sports - bargaining doesn't help, if you buy more than one racquet they give you this price immediately. I think their margin with this price is under 5 %... Also they have ONLY G5 grips, which means you need to use 2 overgrips if you're used to G3. And yes, from AT series they only carry 4U versions (WTC had one 3U from AT700, but it cost over 4500 Baht). I checked thoroughly all racquets, and I don't think that First Sports sells fake racquets.

All in all I think that Thailand as a source of very cheap Yonex racquets is not really true any more . You can still find a bargain there if you know what you're looking for (and don't mind having G5 grip), but I wouldn't send my friend wondering around the Soi Chula 5 - especially if he/she doesn't know anything about badminton!

Sorry if my writing was a bit unclear. I caught some darn diarrhea on my way back, and am quite sick right now. But thought I'd let you guys know asap my experiences, hope they helps.

p.s. Oh and shoes are quite cheap there, SHB99LE costs 3000 Baht = 60 after some bargaining (normal price 4500 Baht). Biggest size available was US 11 = EUR 45 (just fitted me ).
    Last edited by J_M_V; 08-15-2005 at 09:28 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by J_M_V
    Sorry if my writing was a bit unclear. I caught some darn diarrhea on my way back, and am quite sick right now. But thought I'd let you guys know asap my experiences, hope they helps.

p.s. Oh and shoes are quite cheap there, SHB99LE costs 3000 Baht = 60 after some bargaining (normal price 4500 Baht). Biggest size available was US 11 = EUR 45 (just fitted me ).
    Thanks for an excellent write-up! I might have to replicate your experience shortly, hope you get well soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

THB300=RM290 for a pair of SHB99LE. Wow that's a real good bargain!
    Saw that in Sunrise FE S'pore selling at SGD199=RM443.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by khwong
    THB300=RM290 for a pair of SHB99LE. Wow that's a real good bargain!
    Saw that in Sunrise FE S'pore selling at SGD199=RM443.
    Yeah, even the Yonex shop in WTC is selling SHB99LE with 3600 Baht ("normal" model SHB99M was 2900 Baht, and they accept credit cards too ). Mind you that I did buy some racquets from First sports too, so if you only go there for shoes then perhaps the price is a bit higher?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just remembered one more thing that might be usefull. First sports was open during weekdays (Friday - Saturday) from around 9 am until 6.30 pm, and on Sundays from 10 am until 4 pm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks very much for all the info posted here. I'm about to give instructions to a friend going to Bangkok. Couple of questions (especially for JMV but anyone else has the answers please chip in )

(1) How much is MP88 at First Sport (sentimental favourite racquet... SG only has 3U would like to try 4U). [also, how much is MP88 at WTC, instead my friend cannot get to First Sport?]

(2) it was mentioned that to get discount at First Sport you must buy more than 1 racquet but must they be all of the same type, so instead of 3 x NS8000, i can get 1 x NS8000, 1x AT700, 1 xMP88 and still get discount?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by storkbill
    (1) How much is MP88 at First Sport (sentimental favourite racquet... SG only has 3U would like to try 4U). [also, how much is MP88 at WTC, instead my friend cannot get to First Sport?]

(2) it was mentioned that to get discount at First Sport you must buy more than 1 racquet but must they be all of the same type, so instead of 3 x NS8000, i can get 1 x NS8000, 1x AT700, 1 xMP88 and still get discount?
    Sorry but I didn't really check out the exact price for MP88, it wasn't in my wish list . I have a feeling that MP88 - MP99 - MP100 were all about the same, which is in First Sport about 3200 Baht excl. strings (= about 64 = about 80 $). In WTC I don't recall seeing anything under 4500 Baht - for foreigners that is. When it comes to discounts the WTC Yonex shop didn't give any no matter how many you were buying (?), from First Sport you'll probably get low price even if you only buy 1 - 2 racquets (they know you know their prices ). Furthermore I don't think you actually get a "discount", it seems more like the prices on the wall are for ignorant foreigners: probably just by asking you'll get "the correct price". You might be able to bargain even more, but I don't think that would be nice considering they don't really have much margin.

BTW area around First Sports wasn't really friendly looking during evening time... Thailand and even Bangkok are very safe places, but I wouldn't send a lost looking farangi to that neighborhood when it is dark - troubles will come to you if you look for them.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3