Best places to play in Vancouver area over the summer

Discussion in 'Canada West' started by okoman, Jul 4, 2005.

1. okoman

okoman Regular Member

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know of any good drop in clubs to go to over the summer. I am a C- B level tournament doubles player looking for good games. (any weekday night is good)

Does Deer Lake run over the summer?

Rob O

2. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Wow, Deer Lake! It's concrete floor dude. Why not drop by VRC :D . I am sure Badrad will give you the good old Raddy treatment . . . ha ha ha.

3. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    There are many centers that are open during the summer for badminton, although you should keep an eye out for closures - some centers close for annual maintenance or shortened summer hours might apply.

Definitely Deer Lake should be around for Tuesday and Thursday nights. However, there are rumors that the club might be closing down later this year, as the long-time supporter of the program (teacher at the school) will be moving on to another school in another country.

Britannia, Bonsor, Cameron, Guildford, Kerrisdale, Trout Lake, Collingwood, Renfrew, Cambie, Queens Park, PineTree.... this list goes on, with centers that will offer you good quality of play and something to suit your schedule and location.

There will always be the VRC and ClearOne if you decide to choose a more dedicated facility.

4. world-of-dreams

world-of-dreams Regular Member

Financial Aid Worker
    HAHAHAHA, hey badrad, it appears you are the culprit who infamously runs everyone to death at the VRC even though you are rarely there in the evenings, LOL. They've made a name to your methods (Raddy treatment) now and I guess everyone must be looking forward to seeing you make everyone run until they drop or puke like you did with one of the kids, hahahahaha.

5. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    The kids usually come off court praying on their knees, saying 'I am not worthy . . . I am not worthy . . . Badrad is God!' :D :D :D

6. world-of-dreams

world-of-dreams Regular Member

Financial Aid Worker
    You can try going to Britannia Community Centre on Friday nights from 7pm - 10pm and Saturday afternoons from 1:15pm - 5pm. We have some pretty competitive players in there on Friday nights but the Saturdays have a bit more competition and usually less people attend Saturdays (thus, you get more games). As an added bonus, badrad usually shows up on Saturdays to have a chitchat with us even though he rarely plays so you shouldn't pass up that opportunity, hahahahahaha.

The only downside is that if you are a feather player, then you obviously have to bring your own feather shuttles to play (there are a lot of people there who enjoy playing with feather too). However, the centre does provide one tube of plastic Yonex Mavis 300 shuttles per session for the patrons to use. Usually the shuttles do not last throughout the night as these people use and abuse these things like mad (ie. smashing like there's no tomorrow, LOL). If all six shuttles provided by the centre are being used on the court or destroyed and you want to use a new shuttle, then it is the players responsibility to provide a new shuttle if they want a new one to use.

The badminton program is fairly popular at Britannia, so if you do decide to go then I strongly suggest you show up 15 minutes early to pay the pool cashier as the program fills up very quickly. The program itself is NOT a registered program and it's a full drop-in session so it's a first-come-first-serve basis.

The times and prices are as follows:

Friday 7pm - 10pm $3.50

Saturday 1:15pm - 5pm $4.50

Address is 1661 Napier Street and we play in Gym C (IMHO the best of the 4 gyms).

7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Go on, dont forget to tell them about badrad ghost roaming around vrc hallways afterhours.

8. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Wow, Badrad's ghost :eek: . No wonder he's so fearsome on court and off court :D ! Let the force be with you . . . Badrad!

9. Noob848

Noob848 Regular Member

dam can't play ne baddy till my AT500 is restrung at a higher tension

10. wonger47

wonger47 Regular Member

Student
    Saturday Sessions?

Can anyone tell me if theres anywhere to play today...Saturday sept. 3rd...i would have went to Brit. but theya re closed until the 16th...anyone!? plz help...i need to play...lol :D