stinky shirt...?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by pandee720, Jul 4, 2005.

1. pandee720

pandee720 Regular Member

i was wondering if any of you guys ever had your shirt start to stink after you sweat... i wear the same shirts when i play (i wash it everytime of course) and the part where there is the plastiky letters or pictures on the shirt starts to stink after i sweat...
    it wasn't like this when i got it new and it's been a couple of months of using these shirts. does anyone else have this problem?

2. |R|S

|R|S Regular Member

Student
    try washing it, dry it. then dipping it into boiling hot water, let it soak for a while and then wash it again...

3. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    BTW, do read the washing instruction tags on your shirts before you start washing them. Some material like Coolmax, dri-fit doesn't take well to hot water treatment.

4. pandee720

pandee720 Regular Member

yea i follow the tag instructions and wash them... but still smells after i sweat... but this only happens to shirts i regularly sweat in and shirts with plastic stuffs on them
    also, the instruction says wash in cold water... does that mean i can't soak in hot water...?

5. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    The stink and smell come from bacterial in your perspiration. Any material that blocks the evaporation of your sweat, like non-ventilated plastic patches, means more bacterial. More bacterial translates into more stink.

6. pandee720

pandee720 Regular Member

how can i get rid of the smell? antibacterial soap...?

7. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Try lightweight cotton shirts, preferably those without any patch-ons. Choose those with many knots per sq. inch instead of those fluffy towel-like stuff. Swiss cotton has many knots per sq. inch, is expensive, but will last you a lifetime. Cheap shirts will lose their fluff and weight each time they are washed. I have 3 swiss cotton shirts I wear for badminton plus casual use for the last 12 years and they are like new. The club I used to belong to used to hand out free cotton shirts, but they lasted only 3 months before they look threadbare, afterwhich I used them to polish my shoes. Nothing wasted. :D

8. bhatman

bhatman Regular Member

Student
    to get rid of smell, use deoderant, not the smelly kind,but the non scented but strong ones-rightguard I think. Also use not loose or not tight cotton shirts, then you wont worry about your shirt in the way or the shirt sticking to you.

9. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Also, you can pick up several more shirts can change among them regularly. This way, none of them could be repeated beat up, means to be used less often. ;)

10. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    I try to use good soap powder for the stinky shirt. Good thing that my sweat is not that stinky.. if not its harder to remove the smell :)

11. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Has anyone tried wearing lightweight silk shirts for badminton? Silk is by far the most absorbent material, better than the best cotton, linen or wool. It is so absorbent that the whole shirt will be wet from your perspiration in an instant. You feel like the shirt is a sheet of water. But you know what? It is a nice feeling, very cool, and best of all it won't smell. Even after your games, you just take it home and hang it up in a well ventilated room, away from direct sun, it will be dry very quickly and it is without any foul bacterial smell that all other materials give out.
    If you travel to hot and humid countries, I recommend you bring along some lightweight silk shirts. You can use them over and over again without washing-all you do is hang it up and see for yourself how fast the sweat disappears. The only drawback in not washing is that if your sweat has some colour or stains (from salt?) they will show on the shirts. :D

12. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Has anyone tried wearing lightweight silk shirts for badminton? Silk is by far the most absorbent material, better than the best cotton, linen or wool. It is so absorbent that the whole shirt will be wet from your perspiration in an instant. You feel like the shirt is a sheet of water. But you know what? It is a nice feeling, very cool, and best of all it won't smell. Even after your games, you just take it home and hang it up in a well ventilated room, away from direct sun, it will be dry very quickly and it is without any foul bacterial smell that all other materials give out.
    If you travel to hot and humid countries, I recommend you bring along some lightweight silk shirts. You can use them over and over again without washing-all you do is hang it up and see for yourself how fast the sweat disappears. The only drawback in not washing is that if your sweat has some colour or stains (from salt?) they will show on the shirts. :D

13. Robin (SWE)

Robin (SWE) Regular Member

Student
    I remember I read somewhere that silk can absorb as much as 9x its own weight in water/fluids. It is supposed to be alot they say... I really doubt if it really is appropriate for badminton though.

Regarding stinky shirts there are many producers that have some kind of anti-bacteria stuff on the shirts/shorts etc... maybe thats the sollution for those with 'stinky problems'.

14. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Silk is expensive. If they could make silk badminton shirts like those net/mesh polyester/cotton wicking shirts, you will be really wearing true air-conditioned shirts. Also silk is delicate and requires special care in washing and ironing. Whenever I visit Malaysia I bring my silk shirts along. I wear the same shirt day and night and it saves me the washing.

15. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Actually any combed cotton polo shirts will do. Of course, the use of Eyptian or US Supima Cotton to spin knitting yarns produces the best result.

16. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Silk is such a pain to care for. I do not think it's a good material for badminton polo shirts - the cost and maintenance far outweigh the benefits.

17. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Polyester shirts are becoming very popular as sports shirts and shorts. However, do you know that polyester is made from non-renewable resources? Polyester, like nylon, acrylic and olefin are made from petrochemicals, which use petroleum cuts and gas as raw materials. Each polyester shirt or shorts that you buy contributes to sky-rocketing oil prices! Here is another very good reason why you should say no to clothings made from petrochemicals. :D

18. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    So, what do you suggest? Wear cotton polo shirts that are made from heavily sprayed cotton crops? Herbicide, pesticide and feeds also use petrochemcials. :D :D

19. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    As PeterLSD have said, almost everything has been touched by petrochemical process and products. You wanna go totally organic and environmentally friendly? Play in the nude:p. Not everybody can afford or maintain a silk polo shirt:rolleyes:.

20. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Unfortunately sports co's doesnt have products made from silk.. if they do , i dont mind trying them on.