User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Why racquets are so expensive in UK?

Just cursious, some one said ns 8000 cost 300 pounds in UK. And Carltons are almost twice as much as here. If the selling price based on people's income like the price of Yonex in Thailand and Phillipine, does it mean the average income of people over there are twice as much as here also?
    Last edited by Qidong; 07-07-2005 at 11:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Qidong
    Just cursious, some one said ns 8000 cost 300 pounds in UK. And Carltons are almost twice as much as here. If the selling price based on people's income like the price of Yonex in Thailand and Phillipine, does it mean the average income of people over there are twice as much as here also?
    Because of the UK warranty I believe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everything is expensive in UK! not limited to Yonex nanospeed 8000, which retails for 160 and not 300

VAT already constitutes 17.5%

People percieve a premium racquet to be priced at about 150..not really changed much during the years, only the Yonex Nano pushed up the price slightly.

British people are weird...if you start offering the top racquet at less than 100, they will think there is something wrong with it...and of course, they can't brag about how much they spent to the neighbour/peers. Same thing with Carlton, even though they may be made in China and could still make a profit here selling for 50% less..but to keep the impression of a top quality comparable product to its main rival, it will ask for similar prices. Some people swear by Carlton, and will pay whatever the price just as with Yonex.

After every season, you often see last year's Carlton discounted by 50%-75%...where as you hardly see last year's YY discounted.

Warranty...ha...a lot of people don't seem to bother or indeed know about it. New racquet, breaks in first week...shaft snaps from a mishit...lots of anger...followed by cursing and swearing and then throw it in the bin aggresively. end of story. I have seen this on at least 3 occasions

Quote Originally Posted by Dave18
    Because of the UK warranty I believe.
    Last edited by Wizbit; 07-08-2005 at 12:21 AM. Reason: add bit about warranty

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by White_trash
    Looks like a good deal to me as a brand new NS8K costs nearly $300 in UK (directsports). It's a pity i'm no pro who would need such an expensive racquet.
    Hopefully, it's not MY post that made people think NS8K costs 300 pounds in UK . It's $300 (i.e. 160 pounds at directsportseshop).