Why racquets are so expensive in UK?

Discussion in 'Market Place' started by Qidong, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    Just cursious, some one said ns 8000 cost 300 pounds in UK. And Carltons are almost twice as much as here. If the selling price based on people's income like the price of Yonex in Thailand and Phillipine, does it mean the average income of people over there are twice as much as here also? :confused:

#1 Qidong, Jul 7, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2005
  2. Dave18

Dave18 Regular Member

Student
    Because of the UK warranty I believe.

3. Wizbit

Wizbit Regular Member

Testing ladie's lingerie
    Everything is expensive in UK! not limited to Yonex nanospeed 8000, which retails for £160 and not £300

VAT already constitutes 17.5%

People percieve a premium racquet to be priced at about £150..not really changed much during the years, only the Yonex Nano pushed up the price slightly.

British people are weird...if you start offering the top racquet at less than £100, they will think there is something wrong with it...and of course, they can't brag about how much they spent to the neighbour/peers. Same thing with Carlton, even though they may be made in China and could still make a profit here selling for 50% less..but to keep the impression of a top quality comparable product to its main rival, it will ask for similar prices. Some people swear by Carlton, and will pay whatever the price just as with Yonex.

After every season, you often see last year's Carlton discounted by 50%-75%...where as you hardly see last year's YY discounted.:mad:

Warranty...ha...a lot of people don't seem to bother or indeed know about it. New racquet, breaks in first week...shaft snaps from a mishit...lots of anger...followed by cursing and swearing and then throw it in the bin aggresively. end of story. I have seen this on at least 3 occasions:rolleyes:

#3 Wizbit, Jul 7, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2005
  4. White_trash

White_trash Regular Member

Hopefully, it's not MY post that made people think NS8K costs 300 pounds in UK :rolleyes:. It's $300 (i.e. 160 pounds at directsportseshop).