Seeking advice from BF members =)

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by kevinsquash, Jul 7, 2005.

1. kevinsquash

kevinsquash Regular Member

Hey all.

I've been playing badminton for 9 months now. I had quite a few friends that have started during a similar time as me. However, they have progressed quite nicely and could execute clears, drops, smashes very well. I could do the same except most of the times...they are just short. Thus, technically, they are better than me and when we play singles, I lose 90% of the time. Approximate scores are probably (15-8). My other friend which is a lot better (15-2)

For example, my clears are fine but I have to muster a bit of power to it. My backclear is horrible...it can only go to the opposition's middle when I'm at the baseline. My drops are actually my main strength apparently. I learned many important basics from my friends about the drops but and again...the drops sometimes come up short. I can't really complain about my smashes because I just don't have that arm strength required to do a good smash EVERYTIME. I can do a good smash when I have enough time to execute but even sometimes...I miss it. :eek:

I have got a decent racquet but I've felt that this racquet does not suit me very well so I will be getting a lighter racquet soon enough (quite possibly AT800 DEF 4u). I'm not really worried about the racquet I'm using but more importantly how I play badminton. I'm not physically fit but I'm not physically "not fit" either so I'm in the mid-range but leaning more towards being fit :p.

I have taken a lot of advice ever since I found out these forums which is probably two to three months ago. I've practiced footwork and it has helped me so much but I've only been practicing a few basics such as the front lunges to get quicker to the net. I've taken a lot of suggestions in the articles and in other posts that I've read. I've played a few badminton games today and some problems I saw in myself encouraged me to make this post even more such as deceptive drops when they fake smashes, drops to the corners, being able to run back to the baseline to catch clears, backhand clear.

The above had just a few of many problems that I still have. I don't think it's possible for me to get a coach because I don't think I have the funds to hire a coach for a long period of time and it's quite far from where I live. I've considered short term but I doubt that I could seriously progress if I only take a few lessons. I would be extremely gratified to hear any suggestions that could possibly help me improve.

Thanks in advance for taking time to read this extra long post. :)

2. Dave18

Dave18 Regular Member

Student
    Well I suggest you do drop drills will your friends. Where you're standing at the back and he's at the front of the net and he is feeding the bird to you. Practice makes perfect. I see you have two choices for your backclear, either practice the correct form to clear to the back court or use less power to do a backhand drop.

3. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Hey Kevin,

First off, welcome to BF:)! I think what you need most is patience. Despite all the useful information on techniques in this forum. It's useless without application. You need to absorb what you find useful here and integrate them into your game. Practice your footworks and your swing.

As for coaching, you don't need to stay with a coach for a long time unless you're thinking of competing in tournaments. Just find one who comes highly recommended by your peers and hire him to impart you the basics. Once you learn some drills from your coach, you could practice them with your friends. When you have a good grasp of the fundamentals, go out and challenge good players. You learn alot just playing with them.

Good luck:)!

4. i_two_net

i_two_net Regular Member

Rather than spending the money on a new racket, hiring a coach for a few sessions (say 4-6) will help improve your game significantly, especially at your stage of development when you've got a taste of the game and are trying to improve some of the technical bits. It certainly has helped me a lot getting a short term coach.

5. Azwok

Azwok Regular Member

Student
    Perfect!:D . Whenever I get pushed onto my backhand by these bums who practice deception:p and I have to take it really far behind me (seeing as im no taufik hidayat;) ) rather than attempt a backhand clear which I know won't make it the full length baseline to baseline I take a little off and try and go for a tidy drop. Always one to save your ass, ahh the backhand drop:rolleyes: . It's recovery power is not to be underestimated.:) .

6. loverush

loverush Regular Member

the problem with the backhand drop is that your friends might be waiting for it since they know you can't back hand clear well. They may already stand close to the net waiting for the shot.
    What I recommend you do is focus on the forearm rotation when you are playing since this will help you generate most of your power. Seeing as how u've never had any former coaching, I wouldn't be surprised if your technique is nowhere near perfect. But with proper technique u can make a simple baseline to baseline clear using only 10-15% of ur full strnegth (at least thats what it is for me). I used to be like you, having problems with clears unless I gave 80-100% of my strength into each shot but having learned the proper technique, it became much easier. Also, make sure you have a correct grip, as this can make a huge difference.

What you can try to do to practice thjis is, possibly watch videos and try to picture the motion in ur mind. Also, extend your arm straight up, and practice moving the racket like you are hitting the birdie but keeping ur arm still and only using ur forearm and wrist to swing the racket. This may help train you to have a stronger forearm as well as to emphasize proper forearm rotation in the stroke.
    Hope this helps!

7. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    1. You need practise.
    2. You need drills.
    3. You need to do (1) and (2) correctly.

To achieve this, you need a short-term coach to show you how to practice, and how to do drills. After that, fire him, and get a friend to help you with drills.

Oh, fire him gently.

-dave

8. keith_aquino

keith_aquino Regular Member

part-time student, full-time baddy fanatic
    You have the same problem I had! This might not be the case but maybe you should just try checking your swing out. I used to unintentionally slice my shots with the racket. Slicing dissipates the power of your executions. I don't know if this is the case but you should probably give it a look. ;) If you do find out that is was, you need to do drills and practice like what wood_22_chuck said.

9. kevinsquash

Thanks for all your advice guys. I'll try them all. However, coach is still not an option. However, my friends have learnt a few drills and we've practiced them a bit. I'll try to get to learn more drills that could focus on my problems.

Thanks again. Keep the suggestions up. :p

10. Pball

Pball Regular Member

MY 2 centavos...

1) short term coaching is better than no coaching.....

2) if not an option, practice strokes with a friend... try the strokes that give you problems... if you can drop close to the net, it is still a better option than doing a short clear..

as I see it, your complain about youself is the inaccuracy of your shots... this is solved only by practicing (preferably with a coach, if not availabe witha higher level friend perhaps) your strokes...

regards

11. MikeJ

MikeJ Regular Member

IT Consultant
    Hello. :D

Just a suggestion: if you can't get a coach, why not try recording yourself, while doing drills or playing, on video? By doing this, you'll be able to assess your own form and compare it to the form of the professional players.

You'll be able to see for yourself if:
    - you're hitting the shuttle too low,
    - you're hitting the shuttle above and in-front of your body or if you're hitting the shuttle when it's on one side of your body
    - your form looks "ok" or if you're moving awkwardly....

Good luck! :D

12. newplayer

newplayer Regular Member

My GOD!!!! You sound just like ... me!!! Maybe we should get together sometime for
    a showdown!!! Let me know when you come to Melbourne the next time. ;)

NP

13. newplayer

newplayer Regular Member

Wow, you can do a baseline-to-baseline clear using only 10-15% of your full
    strength? How do you do it? I normally have to give at least 90-120% of my
    strength and still struggle to do a baseline to baseline clear -- as a result my
    arm and shoulder get tired and sore after 4-6 clears!!

What about everyone else? How much strength do you have to use to execute
    a baseline to baseline clear?

Please give us beginners some hints, thank you!!

NP

14. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

It's not how hard you hit, it's how timely you hit. Only way to do effortless clears is to practice:D.

15. newplayer

newplayer Regular Member

Oh, I understand ... I guess there is really no substitute for lots of practice. However,
    could the rackets you use have a noticable impact on your clears?

NP

16. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

To a certain degree... yes. But for the most part, any midrange racquets of decent quality can deliver a good baseline clear. I tried it with my $20 cheapie loaner and it does take some efforts to clear end to end accurately, but it's probably the string:p.

17. loverush

loverush Regular Member

its all in the forearm rotation and technique.
    If you stick your arm striaght up and practice using only wrist/forearm to hit birdie you'll soon see which muscles most of your power should be coming from.
    I could even do a baseline to baseline clear just using forearm and minimal rotation. ALthough forearm rotation is very hard to master, it will allow you to use even balance rackets (ie. NS8k) without injuring yourself.

18. kevinsquash

Hey guys.

I was playing yesterday and I think I did a few things quite nice. Drops were pretty accurate...85% of them were in. My cross-court drops were perfect with only one of them out in doubles line (I was playing singles).

I think I really need to work on my clear more. I had played someone that knew I couldn't use my backhand and my forehand rotation well so he kept clearing to my left side base line. So it caused me to drop high or short clear and eventually losing the game.

My smashes were ok but I need to practice smashing deep to the sides instead of smashing to the center.

Thanks again.

Kevin

19. Daylightkiller

Daylightkiller Regular Member

Student
    Me and my bro when we warm up we do this kinda stuff where we are executing, more or less, practicing each of the shots. about 5 to 10 mins. each direction of each shot. for example smashign straightline, cross court, clear straight or cross court etc... My advice would be to do what i said above, it may help a bit. Any one got any opinions on what me and my bro does?