Visit to the 1st and 2nd day of malaysia open

Discussion in 'Singapore Open 2005 / Malaysia Open 2005' started by Lau Kok Wei, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Lau Kok Wei

Lau Kok Wei Regular Member

This is the first time im going to a open tournament. 1st day, reach there around 11.00am where the qualifying rounds already started. Didn't get to see many quality matches as expected though i noticed a few bright talents which in my point of view have what it takes to go far. The most notable is this chinese yougster named Gong weijie who cruised past two opponents to make it to the main draw, he is extremely really fast and strong in attack. Though still a bit unstable given time should blossom into a fine player. We have our own juniors such as Law Yien Thien, Lim Kenn and Tan Chun Seang who impressed as well. Saw Wong Choon Hann in action in the mens doubles event with Chew Chun Eng. They really struggled in the two matches which they narrowly won to make it to the main draw. They were weak in attack and sometimes appeared indecisive especially Chew. 2nd day was exciting, reach there around 11.30am where i was fortunate enough the watch a few great singles matches. Hafiz vs Xia Xuanze was the highlight where the young malaysian whacked the daylight out of Xia handing him the duck in the 2nd set. Hafiz was simply awesome with his hard i mean really hard smashes and together his famed tricky deceptive shots. He was simply unplayable today. Lee Tsuen Seng almost snatched an upset win against Peter Gade Christensen only to lose in three sets. He had a chance in the 3rd set when Peter Gade appeared to be tiring but blew it due to his hastiness. He attacked in vain and made lots of mistakes when he should played patiently like he did in the 2nd set. There were no other major upsets in the day as almost all seeded players won. The only pleasant suprise was Yeoh Kay Bin taming the Germany no.1 Bjorn Joppien with suprise ease. Didn't manage to go to the night session though, it was a shame as i missed a lot of exciting mens doubles matches. Saw Chen Hong, Xia Xuanze and Hafiz outside of the courts with fans. I would say they were very friendly compare to one top malaysian player whose name i dun wan to mention.

2. fanzzz

fanzzz Regular Member

:) NIce eassay must giv some encourage word....