need help choosing a racket

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by green apple, Jul 7, 2005.

1. green apple

green apple Regular Member

I've been playing badminton for the past year or so on my high school team, but I'm not very good. I'm hoping that I can get onto the Varsity team next year playing mixed doubles. Right now, I'm using a cheap wilson titanium smash racket. It's okay, but I'm not really happy with it. I'm used to the racket by now, but it doesn't feel right. I want to get a new racket, and after reading all the reviews and related posts on this forum, I have some general ideas of what I'm looking for, but I'm still not quite sure.

Being a girl, I play up front often and I need a racket with good control, preferably head light or even balanced. I usually do lots of drops, drives, and when I get the chance, net kills. I want a racket that's a little lighter than the one I have now, so < 90 grams, perhaps oval shaped since I'm used to playing with an oval racket. I'm not really sure if I'm a defensive player or an attacker.. I play for about 6 - 10 hours a week. While it's great if the racket looks pretty, I care about the durability and performance more. My preferred rice range is about $60 - $80 US, but I can stretch out the budget to about $120. =P

I've been thinking about the BK M-2008QC, but the reviews don't mention much about how much control it has, and I'm afraid maybe the racket is too advanced for my skills.

And since I'm a newbie at this stuff, any recommendations for the type of string and tension to use would be awesome. Thanks in advance for tips and advice. :)

2. keith_aquino

keith_aquino Regular Member

part-time student, full-time baddy fanatic
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I cannot help to stress the importance of this chart. Most girls lack power but makes up for their accuracy and finesse; this is why usually girls stay in front when they play mixed doubles. IMHO I don't recommend ovals since you need all the power you can get. ;)

3. green apple

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll start looking at more iso rackets. I did see the diagrams on some other BF thread, but I wasn't sure if those rackets are okay for me. I mean, some (like AT800) are really expensive, and others just seem way too advanced for my skill level. Even though I'm not a complete beginner, I want to be able to improve with the racket and not just "get used to it".

4. keith_aquino

keith_aquino Regular Member

part-time student, full-time baddy fanatic
    I don't think there is a racquet that is way too advanced for skill level. :)
    It really depends on your style. I think it's really important to know your style first before you invest in a racquet. Have you tried out racquets from your friends? Oh yeah, are you a defensive player or an offensive? Offensive players usually use head weighted racquets and defensive players use even balanced racquets. This might help you choose a racquet that suits you.

5. TheGr8Two

TheGr8Two Regular Member

I can definitely recommend the Black Knight M-2008QC. It's head light, stiff flex and low weight, so it's perfect for net play. It's very powerful as well, so the only possible draw back is the oval design. I don't actually own one, but I've tried it during one of those KTR tournaments, and I was impressed. My backhand clears were awesome, and so were smashes(although I have to say I can smash hard with any racket anyway, but I have a pretty weak backhand with less powerful rackets). If you want an isometric shaped equivalent, maybe try Yonex Ti 7/MP66/AT800 DEF or Nanospeed 7000.

I can recommend the Yonex rackets as well, however, I'd prefer the Black Knight racket because it is rated for stringing up to 30lb tension.(not that you would need to string that high, but it gives you room to increase tension without voiding manufacturer's warranty). Also the AT800DEF and NS7000 is overpriced, so you should be considering Ti 7 and MP66 if you don't want to waste money.

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Base on ur description, I am ready to shout out "Yonex cab30ms" right away. I think it should provide all the things u listed. However, one thing u might consider is, cab30ms is lised as stiff. If ur arm is weak, u might have a bit trouble to generate the power from the back (at the beginning) due to different stiffness. However, it's certainly lighter than 90grams. And no doubt a great racket for both performance and durability.

My suggestion is to try it (from local store or from fellow club members), before make the purchase.

7. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Regular Member

Student
    Hi, i think the Muscle Power 66 is good option, it has power, but not too much power so control wont be a problem. overall its a versatile racket.

btw, what school do you go to?

8. green apple

Santa Teresa.

I tried out my friend's.. actually, then partner, mp66 a long time ago, and I didn't like it back then. It felt too wobbly, like it had too much vibration. Since then I've gotten the impression that the mp series are like that, but after reading reviews, I realized it was just a dumb first impression.

Thanks so much for all the advice, it's helped a lot. But now I'm starting to look towards other non-yonex brands like Kason, Victor, Domino -- but looking at the specs, I honestly have no idea what to expect out of the racket. :confused:

And wow, LazyBuddy, you really like the yonex cab30ms...

#8 green apple, Jul 12, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2005
  9. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    green apple

If you like light rackets which has control, maneuverability, using speed to generate power, the Swing Power 900 SA can be favor.

This racket has been discontinued for a long time and can be still obtained at BBshop which sells for 126 US.

I've had this racket and liked this one a lot, very good for exercising as well.

#9 Matt, Jul 12, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2005
  10. theasiandude88

theasiandude88 Regular Member

student YAY!!!
    maybe you can try MMOA or Kason. both are very light. Kason might be a bit difficult to find just to let you know. price is within your range

11. green apple

Thanks for the great suggestions. I'm thinking about the Hi-Qua 2000: 3U, even balance, square head, slim shaft/frame.

http://www.hiquasports.com/badminton/hq2000.htm

It sounds really good, but before I rush into buying it... is there anything about this racket that might not be so great for me? The one review on the racket in BF isn't very detailed. It states the racket has good control, which is a plus, but also that it has little power. So I don't smash a lot near the net, but I'd still like to know I can smash semi-decently. I guess that's more of a technique problem than an equipment problem though. Too bad there aren't same versions of one racket but with different paint jobs... I haven't seen any green rackets. I'd at least thought pink would be harder to find, but apparently not..

I'm still a little confused as to how the flexibility of a racket affects its performace. Obviously a stiff shaft is different from a flexible one, but I don't know how so.

I know the best way to see if a racket is right is to try it out, but this one for some reason seems good, perhaps the price.. :p

12. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Yeah, if you look on the physics side of things then you can sort of gain an idea how the performance would be affected with a flexable/stiff racket.

Reguarding green rackets, I've seen one - the Yonex Isometric 300 (I believe that is the model in question) at Sport Check. Don't know if they still carry that racket anymore since this was like 2+ years ago since I saw this.

Yup, the ultimate decision is try it. Keep on your search, something may come to you.

Before I liked the 900 SA which I recommended to you as a choice, I accidently got it from my relative (wrong model, I wanted an SR), but since it was a JP version, nothing I could do to exchange it. I then tried it out in open gym (having a doubt that it wasn't for me) and after a while it came to be very suitable to me.

If there is a store which allows take a racket for demo, take advantage of it. I know the store I go to (Tad's Sporting Goods) does that.

#12 Matt, Jul 13, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2005
  13. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    hheehehhehe.... what do u think i get 6 of them for? :D

14. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    The spec looks fine, but one thing bugs me is the grip is G3. Usually, it might be a lil to big for me. If the grip is small, u can use over grip to beef it up. If too big, at most, u can only remove the original grip, and wrap 2 layers of overgrip (except u really want to sand own the wood). Also, I thought u were looking for OVAL shape racket? This racket is clearly an ISO. Therefore, it might take u a bit of time to adjust the timing.

If u r looking for a light oval racket, might take a look at Gosen miracle light series:
    http://www.badminton.net/cart/produ...d=345&osCsid=c3d8322a4f86ce9fa22fdbe7dfa44d0b (they have pink :p )
    http://www.badminton.net/cart/produ...d=346&osCsid=c3d8322a4f86ce9fa22fdbe7dfa44d0b

15. green apple

I haven't taken physics yet. :) Green racket?? Whoa... I should check out that racket then. :p

16. green apple

Yes, I was looking for an oval racket, but as per someone's suggestion above, I figured if an iso racket has bigger sweetspot = more power, it wouldn't hurt. Would it really make a big difference?

Have you seen the Hi-Qua Fairlady? It's completely pink complete with a pink bag! Blinding hot pink. :eek:

17. green apple

I found some Kason rackets online, but no MMOA. I've never heard of that brand before.

18. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    I doubled checked, the model I posted is the wrong one. The correct one to look for is the Isometric 200 Long.

Here is the picture from BBShops site - unforuantely it's listed as discontinued (no more stock) on their website.
    [​IMG]

#18 Matt, Jul 13, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2005
  19. green apple

Matt, the 900 SA sounds awesome, but it's a little high priced. I'm trying to find a good but also affordable racket because I also want to get proper badminton shoes. :)

20. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Hi green apple

Since you mentioned about a price isssue, I remember about the cost effective version of the 900 series, which is the 500 series. The only difference two is that the 500 doesn't have the Ultra HM Graphite which the 900 has.

Unforunately when I checked BBShops site, it's listed as discontinued as well.

You might have a chance at luxissportnet (selling for 101 US) but I would send them an email to check if they have it.

matt