The "jump" in jump smash

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by keith_aquino, Jul 9, 2005.

1. keith_aquino

keith_aquino Regular Member

part-time student, full-time baddy fanatic
    I've just watched the PROTON semi-finals in Malaysia. I still can't believe that Robertson and Emms lost! Okay, back to the topic. I was observing Chen and Zaoh. I observed that the guy's smashes were stronger the Robertson's. When I see them jump smash, I notice that they hit the shuttle the moment they fall to the ground. I'm guessing this motion adds to the to hitting power. Can anyone confirm this? :confused: I wouldn't like to pick up a vice and then unlearn it.

2. Dave18

Dave18 Regular Member

Student
    Lol. What are you expecting from them? To jump, stay in mid air, hit, stay in air for a bit, and then land? Lol. :p I guess they hit it as they land so they get back into position faster?

3. legendarycroc

legendarycroc Regular Member

school
    the moment farthest away after the climax height, you are at the most g-force, thus adding on more momentum from before, via the landing. YOur landing at most force when your about to hit the floor, then when you are starting to descend...IN conclusion if they smash when they are close tot he floor, this will be more powerful then in anyother time..

4. i_two_net

i_two_net Regular Member

Its possibly an optical illusion from the speed of the action. A training video I've seen and slow-mo of actual competitive games show that for a jump smash, the smash is taken near the TOP of the jump. The reason I believe is not so much the tranference of power, but to get the best angle to kill the shuttle. The higher you take the shuttle, the more places you can put it. Some of these guys look like they are 3 feet off the ground!

5. keith_aquino

I expected them to hit the moment their feet leaves the ground. At what point of the jump is strongest when hitting the shuttle?

6. i_two_net

i_two_net Regular Member

7. keith_aquino

If we take out the importance of angle and place importance in power, which do you think would be the strongest moment to "kill" the bird in the jump?

8. Dave18

Dave18 Regular Member

Student
    When landing, you should strike, because when you jump and almost landing to swing, you have more swing speed to produce power?

9. i_two_net

i_two_net Regular Member

Do have a look at the link I have provided above. I have also previously seen a slow-mo clip of a competitive doubles match where, quite clearly, the smash was taken at the TOP of the jump. Apart from placement, I believe this also lends itself to consistency, as the vertical motion at the top of a leap is at its smallest. There may be some added momentum if you are hitting it near the ground due to falling speed but I think the other factors far outweigh this.

10. Dave18

Dave18 Regular Member

Student
    Sure, you do have a point but I guess different players have different styles of jump smashing so really, there is no true answer unless a physicist would like to enlighten us hear? Lol.

11. i_two_net

i_two_net Regular Member

I'm sure there are different styles, but I fail to see the point of jumping 3 feet into the air, a maneuver which by all accounts is energy sapping, puts you off balance and compromises your stability when executing a stroke, only to take the shuttle a few inches off the ground :confused: . Might as well stand still on the spot to smash yes?

12. Dave18

Dave18 Regular Member

Student
    In my view, I don't mean to say to hit the bird when you're a few inches off the ground. From what I'm saying, I mean it as you jump in the air, and that split second as you fall towards the ground, you release your power for a smash.

13. keith_aquino

I think it really depends on the situation you're in. The weight of the pros and cons aren't always consistent.

14. i_two_net

i_two_net Regular Member

That I agree, basically at or near the top of the leap, as you begin to fall. If you watch volleyball players as they serve or spike; same thing, near the top of the leap.

15. checkthemc

checkthemc Regular Member

None/Student
    Basketball too, always shoot at the height of your jumpshot. Most people think you shoot with your arms, in reality your legs control the amount of power. The perfect jumpshot, would have so little arm movement, that the ball feels like it just glides out of your arms.

16. tino4

tino4 Regular Member

steal your opponent's time

and 1 more very important thing, The higher you take the shuttle , the more time of your opponent you can steal....

17. legendarycroc

legendarycroc Regular Member

school
    the higher you hit it, the steeper the hit, it'll land clsoer to the net that any other hits...that's why tall people are good for smashes...

18. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Ok.. lets not talk about techniques here. In terms pf photography..most of the shots or jump smashes are when they are at the peak of their jump. Not when they land. The shuttles are being hit at the top. This actually deepened the trajectory of the smashes and contact the shuttle faster.

19. i_two_net

i_two_net Regular Member

So, in summary, the advantages of taking the shuttle at the top of the leap:

1) Better angles for placement
    2) Stealing time from the opponent
    3) Less vertical motion and therefore easier to time
    4) Steeper and lands closer to the net

I'd add one more;

5) With steeper angle, can hit it harder with less fear of putting shuttle out

20. Daylightkiller

Daylightkiller Regular Member

Student
    To me I think that the main purpose of a jump smash is for the extra angle. Also I think being able to hit at different points, say at the apex or close to the ground keeps your opponent guessing when you're going to strike. Personally I'm still working on my jump smash, one reason i do it is to get more angle (cuz i'm extremely short:p ), but i'm also trying to get more power into it.