why the best tennis players dont take part in the olympics

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by DaN_fAn, Jul 8, 2005.

1. DaN_fAn

DaN_fAn Regular Member

Offtopic

ok this is offtopic but i want to ask why the best tennis players dont take part in the olympics.Is it because there is no money??If so they have to be the most selfish people.I mean they might just win a medal for their country,can anything get bigger.
    Only Federer was one of the very few top players who took part[and astonishingly both Lin Dan and Roger Federer,No.1's in their respective sports lost in the 1st round!].So why dont they take part or was it the case just in ATHENS.

2. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Regular Member

Didn't Justine Henin-Hardenne win gold in WS in 2004? I believe at the time she's also ranked #1. I also remember Amelie Mauresmo, Lindsay Davenport, the Williams sisters taking part.

On the men's side, as you said, Federer took part. I can't recall who else, unfortunately. However, I also recall Federer played in the Melbourne 2000 Games because there's a story about him watching the badminton finals and being amazed at the speed of the game.

And who can forget the one and only Golden Slam girl, Steffi Graf, who won all 4 grandslam titles and the Olympic gold in 1988.

So, don't be too quick about discounting pro tennis players in Olympic Games. There are other sports where the best in the world don't take part. The most obvious one is soccer. Most soccer powers always send their U21 teams and not their senior sides.

3. DaN_fAn

DaN_fAn Regular Member

Yes,but i dont think all the top players [especially MS] took part while that should be top priority.

4. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    I think you are right - money is the main issue. Compared how much money a top tennis pro and a top badminton pro are making a year. The reward money from the governement is nothing to the top tennis pro, but it means a lot to a badminton pro.

5. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Regular Member

Well, I wouldn't be that quick to condemn tennis pros as simple-minded money grubbers. The tennis tours are very, very tough on your body. There have been a couple of documentaries on both the WTA and ATP tours. They're not for the faint-hearted for sure. It's tough enough to go through the season without any major injuries and they've only got about 5--6 weeks to recuperate at the end of the year before they have to go full on again for the Aussie Open. Some of the top players even skip some major tourneys so they can concentrate on the grandslams. Pete Sampras, for instance. IIRC, when he was active, he's been criticised for skipping the clay masters tourneys, putting too much emphasis on the Wimbledon and US Open, etc. One year---I forget what year it was---a tennis figure mentioned that Jonas Bjorkman won more matches that year than Pete played matches. But, not everyone can be an iron horse like Jonas.

There's an additional factor too. The summer Olympic is in the middle of a very busy time in the tennis season. Three grandslams are held in the span of 3--4 months plus all the tune-up tourneys. That's a lot of strain on your body. And, almost by definition, if you're a top-ranked player, you'll play a lot of matches in each tourney you compete in. You may lose in the 1st or 2nd round once or twice, but most of the time you'll get to the semi or final. Or, you wouldn't be a top-ranked player. ;)

So, while I'm sure money is a factor, I'm also sure it's not the only factor. The pros in all sports simply have to consider all the factors and make some hard choices. They have to take care of their bodies because their careers are so short.

Personally, of course I want to see the best in the world, professional or amateur, compete in Olympic Games. But, I also understand if they don't. In fact, I'd rather they don't than going into it half-heartedly.

6. gummiebirdie

gummiebirdie Regular Member

counld not have said it better than Quasimodo :eek: a pro tennis player has to play in different tournament week-in, and week-out, either to make ends meet, or keep their top rankings. it is a different circuit. :rolleyes: